Old 12-12-2018, 04:41 PM   #1

Miles to empty are not correct

I tried the FR3 forum, but no one seems to have my issue...

Our 1st RV and we have about 1500 miles on or 2018 FR3 DS32.

On the instrument panel i do like to use the miles to empty text that is provided by Ford. I know i have an 80 gallon tank. But even after filling it only reads 180 and then after i get past the halfway point it seems at some time add more miles to the reading, just seems weird to me... is this normal?

Any explanations?

TIA

str8edg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 05:11 PM   #2
Head Rambler

That's kinda normal. The reading is calculated using the level in the tank and the average fuel economy at the time so it changes as you drive. Pretty much all vehicles now do that.

When you fill the tank up the calculation starts with a reading of the last MPG you were getting and biases that with an expected MPG and figures the distance to empty from there. It then adjusts the distance to empty using the MPG and tank level calculation as you drive.

Even at best, it's still just an estimate of how many miles you have, because there's no way for the computer to know how your mpg is going to change between now and empty and the accuracy of the tank gauge isn't that great to begin with.

Old 12-12-2018, 05:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8edg View Post

On the instrument panel i do like to use the miles to empty text that is provided by Ford. I know i have an 80 gallon tank. But even after filling it only reads 180 and then after i get past the halfway point it seems at some time add more miles to the reading, just seems weird to me... is this normal?

Any explanations?

TIA
Probably due to not having reset the miles to empty often enough- I have a Similar problem with my Ford Expedition. But I frequently reset the miles to empty to fix it. Maybe even every time I fill-- that seems to be the best way to get an accurate miles to empty.
Schvarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:16 PM   #4
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8edg View Post

Any explanations?

TIA
After going thru a similar experience with my new RAM 3500, I started keeping detailed records of fuel consumption on a spreadsheet.... itís pretty darned accurate when you divide the number of miles driven by the number of gallons of fuel you actually put in the tank. After six months I had a better picture of what to expect and after a year I can pretty much tell you what my fuel consumptionís going to be for a planned trip. My MPG gauge says I average 18.5 around town, but my spreadsheet says 15.7 is my average. Highway often shows 20-22 mpg while the spreadsheet has it at 19.87 mpg. Towing mpg is 11 while the actual is 9.81.

I am now able to look at miles travelled since the last fill up, mentally divide that by what I know is a pretty good average and I can get darned close to actual miles empty

Happy trails!!
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:51 PM   #5

Saw this posted on another forum. Explanation there was that the computer calculates MTE based exclusively on driving MPG and excludes gas burned while idling. Idling does consume fuel - so if you go for gallons and actual mileage, you will get a lower number.

I make no claim that the above is correct...
Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:03 PM   #6

Another monkey wrench to throw into this is that Ford may leave some extra fuel in the tank for cooling the fuel pump.

My F250 has a 35 gallon tank and reads empty and 0 miles to empty after using about 29 gallons. The extra fuel is actually used as a heat sink to cool the fuel pump supplying fuel to the engine.

Another thing that Ford fuel computer estimates are notorious for is being inaccurate. If the speedometer isn't dead on, it will throw off the odometer. The MPG and MTE rely on correct mileage to calculate these numbers correctly.

If the speedometer is off even by 3%, that can throw off the MPG by quite a bit. instead of showing an accurate 12.5 MPG, it could be 12.9 or 12.1.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 02:12 PM   #7

I find myself being the odd man out. I believe that with your 80 gallon tank, reading 180 when you refill is at least incorrect, though it may be normal based on other comments.

In my Georgetown 31L5 with an 80 gallon tank (same as yours), my MTE varies depending upon driving habits and terrain. When I've been getting good fuel economy and fill up, my MTE shows 700 to 720 miles. With poor fuel economy and a fill up, my MTE show 680 to 690 miles. For both of these, as others have explained, I get a quick adjustment down or up, dependng on conditions since the fill up. The MTE recalculates as I drive.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCormickJim View Post
I find myself being the odd man out. I believe that with your 80 gallon tank, reading 180 when you refill is at least incorrect, though it may be normal based on other comments.

In my Georgetown 31L5 with an 80 gallon tank (same as yours), my MTE varies depending upon driving habits and terrain. When I've been getting good fuel economy and fill up, my MTE shows 700 to 720 miles. With poor fuel economy and a fill up, my MTE show 680 to 690 miles. For both of these, as others have explained, I get a quick adjustment down or up, dependng on conditions since the fill up. The MTE recalculates as I drive.
My GT300 has a 75 gal tank. I watch the miles to empty and stop to refill with no lower than 50 miles left. I've been getting a full tank indicating 575 miles to empty on refill, but typically refill at 75mte. I've kept thorough spreadsheets of fuel usage as well. Very easy to keep track of!!
Schvarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:07 PM   #9

You may need to take it by a Ford dealer and have them hook it up and see if it is set for an 80 gallon tank.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:09 PM   #10
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
My older F250 must be some sort of anomaly. My Lie-O-Meter has always been about .5 to 1 MPG less than hand calculated. If it reads 12MPG while towing, I can expect between .5 to 1 MPG more when I fill then calculate the mileage. I have determined the odometer is very close to actual distance traveled. It depends on whether the tires are new vs worn. The odometer is most accurate when the tires are about 1/3 to 1/2 worn.
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 11:14 AM   #11

My Georgetown XL 352QS mileage shown on the odometer was somewhat "dependable". When I filled up, it read over 500 miles to go, between 530 to 560 depending on how much I topped the tank. As I am traveling down the highway, I tagged the miles and subtract back from the mileage shown, it quite good. However, when it getting down low to around 100 miles to go, this is when it became inaccurate I think because of the shape of the gas tank. It drains more fuel than at fill-up. Another word, it said 100 miles to go, but in the real driving, it may only go as far as 40 miles. I did track the mileage from the time I bought the coach new until today, I average out of 6.6 miles to a gallon including over 100 hours on the generator some engine idle once every couple months for an hour to keep the engine in shape.

tamdle is offline   Reply With Quote