Old 07-27-2015, 08:58 PM   #1

Motorhome Insurance Claims and Service Quality

Spent the day talking and seeking quotes for our new 2401 MBS Forester. We are now down to 3 'finalist' Geico, Nationwide and Progressive) and are most interested from those with far more experience on this board as to your experiences with claims and service calls after the 'sale'.

All of them can sell us something, how are they with supporting you when you have a need (responsive, honest, reasonable in their approach, bureaucratic, timely resolution....etc...etc).

Those you would recommend and those you would avoid like the plague...and why?

As insurance cost is highly variable to location, driving history, unit insured...etc....trying to focus this learning on service and claims after the sell.

All you can share is greatly appreciated.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:40 PM   #2

Do others purchase the windshield repair/replacement with their insurance? Any clue as to the cost of replacing the front windshield on an MBS Class C?

Old 07-28-2015, 09:42 AM   #3

We had National General in 2014 through Good Sams, they tried to increase our rates this year 40+%, which was ridiculous. We are with Progressive this year, and very happy so far. We did not purchase the windshield replacement, I think it may be cheaper to fix it locally without the insurance. We priced with Geico also, but they would not insure us if we towed our enclosed trailer behind the RV, didnt care if we towed a car, just no trailer. So we moved on.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:50 PM   #4

Since our 2400W showed up early I'm on the phone calling around as well. Right now USAA/Progressive and Good Sams are within $50 of each other.

As far as the windshield replacement cost I did a Google search and found them for $305 installed at Windshieldstogo.com... So it's probably less than $500 at most glass shops I suspect.

Since $50 Deductible Glass Coverage was only $25 a year more on the Comprehensive coverage I'll probably add it.

RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:33 PM   #5

Update: So far the Good Sam quote from Nationwide / Allied is the leader of the pack. They have higher coverage limits, $250K more, at very close to the same price as Progressive. And they seem more RV centric with their Glass Coverage, Awning Coverage (includes wind damage), Vacation Liability, and other options.

I have a friend at church who is a retired insurance agent. I'm going to ask him about Nationwide / Allied and see what he thinks of them....

RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 12:49 AM   #6

At the end of the day we signed up with Geico. A few more bucks but several features we liked. Now, first praying we never need them and then should we, they fulfill their commitments with tremendous customer service.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:08 PM   #7

I tore the awning off of my 21rr and busted out all of the lights and scraped the whole side. We made a claim and have used the trailer twice since my boo-boo with no problems. It just looks terrible. With labor the repair estimate came to over $12,000. Geico gave me my choice, I could keep the trailer and fix or sell myself and they would give me a check for $7k, or they would total it and pay it off. I chose the second option. They are picking it up next Tuesday and we are taking delivery on a New 26rr. I learned a lot of things through this: get the gap insurance, don't try to pull out in a hurry in a driving rainstorm and it's just a thing, no matter how much you love it or how much you are embarrassed by your mistake. It can be fixed.

I have been very pleased with the service I have received from Geico. I hope you never have the problem I have had and that you never have to make a claim. Enjoy!

ChipBruce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:07 PM   #8

It's a painful process, but I highly recommend lining up the cost and coverage of the different policies item by item. You will be surprised at some significant gaps. The worst in my comparisons was Good Sam. They seem to make a lot of money off of their otherwise good name.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:09 PM   #9

Shopping insurance for anything is low on my list of things I enjoy.....much lower yet, related to complexity and nuance, is for motorhome insurance.

Tags
insurance, motorhome, quality, service