Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2020, 10:27 PM   #1

Motorhome Dash Lights - Battery Issue

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3637.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	238.6 KB
ID:	222353
So we got all packed, toad hooked up and started out for 2 months in Florida. Not even a block from the house and most of the dash warning lights come on and the tach, speedo and odometer stop working. Ahhhhh! Got on the highway and this keeps happening. Not a good start to a trip. It’s a Forester on a Ford E-450 and was driving normal.

Well got off the very next exit and drove to my buddy’s shop that has worked on it before. He pulled a guy and looked at it right away. Ultimately they found a tech bulletin that suggested a battery issue confusing the ECM. Sure enough they check the battery and found it dropping voltage very quickly when shut off. It was the original battery so likely over 6 yrs old. New battery and 800 miles later and no problems. What was odd was the battery showed no other symptoms of failure even tho so old. Engine had started right away even in 8 degree weather last October and after sitting for 8 weeks this month.

So only problem now is escape from the in-laws this weekend and head to the beach on Monday. LOL
Old 01-25-2020, 08:52 AM   #2

Yep battery voltage can create all sorts of crazy issues. I'm a tech at a Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram dealer. And see what low voltage can create first hand! Always replace the battery at 5 years old, AGM,s can go almost twice as long. My wife's 13 Explorer had the OE battery. I was going to change it out before the winter, it was going on 5 1/2 years old at the time. The battery out of no where just died in the fall.

Glad it was a simple fix. Now enjoy he warm weather.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 09:02 AM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

Glad your situation was remedied so quickly.
When I started reading I thought it was going to become a horror story.
Next stop Florida......wish we were going.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 09:23 AM   #4

I’m glad your problem was an easy fix and you were able to continue on your way.

Your posting about this battery voltage issue comes at a good time for me. I’m just finishing up building a replacement panel for that useless (to me) coin holder cubby thing at the top of the E-450 dash. Besides USB and 12v outlets, in addition to a RAM mount ball, I considered adding a round digital voltmeter to the panel. I questioned whether a voltmeter would be useful, but after reading this story, I think it will be.
Old 01-25-2020, 03:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
I’m glad your problem was an easy fix and you were able to continue on your way.

Your posting about this battery voltage issue comes at a good time for me. I’m just finishing up building a replacement panel for that useless (to me) coin holder cubby thing at the top of the E-450 dash. Besides USB and 12v outlets, in addition to a RAM mount ball, I considered adding a round digital voltmeter to the panel. I questioned whether a voltmeter would be useful, but after reading this story, I think it will be.
I'm building a new console for my class A. I found a digital voltmeter with built in USB charging ports. I installed that so I can see the voltage and charge stuff. Definitely need to know what voltage you have as a well as all temps.

Old 01-25-2020, 04:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
I'm building a new console for my class A. I found a digital voltmeter with built in USB charging ports. I installed that so I can see the voltage and charge stuff. Definitely need to know what voltage you have as a well as all temps.

Let me know how your voltmeter/USB unit works. I just received two of them last week from China, the popular round versions that everyone is selling. Compared to a calibrated Fluke meter, one voltmeter is off by 0.3 volts, and the other by 0.4 volts. Thus, they're totally useless to me. I'm working on getting a refund. They should be better than that. By comparison, the $15 RV coach battery voltage, current, and power consumption monitor I bought a month back is accurate to 0.02 volts, so it's not unreasonable to expect voltmeter accuracy.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
Let me know how your voltmeter/USB unit works. I just received two of them last week from China, the popular round versions that everyone is selling. Compared to a calibrated Fluke meter, one voltmeter is off by 0.3 volts, and the other by 0.4 volts. Thus, they're totally useless to me. I'm working on getting a refund. They should be better than that. By comparison, the $15 RV coach battery voltage, current, and power consumption monitor I bought a month back is accurate to 0.02 volts, so it's not unreasonable to expect voltmeter accuracy.
All I want to see is that it is charging. So 12v no charge and 13.5 running tells me it's working. That's all i need. Plus I have my Dash Command app that I can see actual voltage if it looks questionable.

Old 01-26-2020, 12:55 PM   #8
Kanadian Kamper

Volt gauges....digital or analog are my preferred auxiliary indicators.

It’s always nice to see voltages in real time under all situations, but the “idiot” light indicator or symbol in the dash display, usually only comes on when it’s too late, or just before there won’t even be enough power to light it.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, light, motorhome