Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2017, 11:05 PM   #1

Motorhome power cord

We have a new Sunseeker that has a power cord with a threaded ring where it attaches to the rv. Is this supposed to be a twist lock plug in addition to having the locking ring? Ours is about a year old and I have never been able to get it to twist and lock. It seems to work fine just by pushing the connector on and screwing on the ring but I am not sure if should be able to twist and lock it? On our other motorhomes the cord was hard wired on this end.
Murphy55378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:43 AM   #2

Not supposed to "twist lock". Just plugs in, and maybe turns just a bit, i/4-1/2 inch.
It's the ring that screws onto the outlet that locks it to the rig. Also, try to keep the threads of the attachment points clean. Their a plastic/nylon composite and can cross thread if they get gummed up with dirt or road crud. I use an old toothbrush occasionally to clean mine.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:31 AM   #3

On our Isata 3 the plug and socket are from the marine industry , and the plug does indeed lock in with a minor turn.

Turn the plug Right for locking in.

The ring is to help keep water out of the connection.

Here is the best brand should you need to replace anything ,

Hubbell Twist-LockŪ Flanged Inlet | 15A, 20A, 30A, Male Inlet Plugs
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:38 AM   #4

If it's like ours, that small 1/2 inch turn after plugging in, is the "lock". Not much of a lock per say, but I guess it could be considered one.
Mu idea of a "lock" would be like a 1/4 turn of the plug after plugging in.
I guess it's all in how we perceive things.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:39 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I have never owned, nor have I ever seen, a cord that did not twist lock (if it wasn't permanently attached). The twist of the cord is only about 1/2", as others have mentioned. The ring seems to be one of the first things to fail, especially on the heavy 50 amp cords. It's easy to start cross threading if you're careful.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:29 AM   #6
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
I have never owned, nor have I ever seen, a cord that did not twist lock (if it wasn't permanently attached). The twist of the cord is only about 1/2", as others have mentioned. The ring seems to be one of the first things to fail, especially on the heavy 50 amp cords. It's easy to start cross threading if you're careful.
I wish mine was cross-threaded..... It mysteriously wound up with the broken black ring. 3" hose clamp does wonders.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 04:02 PM   #7

Motorhome power cord

FYI: the cord plugs in and then a slight twist to the right; the threaded ring then screws down which holds the cord in place..... BUT KEEP THIS IN MIND - once you twist the cord and screw down the ring the cord IS NOT coming out --- which means that if you accidentally forget to unplug the cord and drive off with it still plugged it IT WILL RIP THE GUTS OUT OF THE PLUG ASSEMBLY!!!!!

Ask me how I know this - luckily, I had stopped twisting my cord and screwing the ring tight some time earlier because of an incident I read about earlier which cost this individual $100's of dollars to repair... When I drove off with cord still plugged in it simply pulled loose with no damage because I DIDN'T have it locked down....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, power