Old 09-15-2019, 07:50 PM   #1

Need new MH Tires - Recs?

TLDR - Blew a tire, need new ones, Recís?

There are probably multiple threads on this topic but my search skills are lacking - feel free to direct me....Blew an outside dual tire today so will be looking for new ones.

Main question - need new tires all Ďround for MH. What is the go to Brand/Make/Model, load range, etc. these days for MH tires?

Rig: 2017 Leprechaun 317SA Class C 32í - original tires are LT 225/75 R16 Load Range ďEĒ. . We haul a rock crawling Jeep on a trailer so run loaded heavy - Legal and within specs, but right at the limit.

Rant - Roadside Assistance companies - we Have both Coachnet and AAA RV+ but neither one could find a local service provider to just come out and change out a tire for my spare. I ended up finding a local tire shop to come out. What the he11 good is a roadside service membership if they canít help you on a major interstate in the middle of Alabama? We werenít out in the sticks? Wonder if they will reimburse me since I had to pay out of pocket? Probably not, but they will both get an earful Rant over.

Outcome - Come to find out the inside tire was flat, had 2 splits in the sidewall . So the outside tire was carrying all the weight and probably just got hot and blew. Ended up having to put on the spare and buy 1 tire. Good news is the sidewall blew so tread didnít separate and beat the MH causing more damage.

Lesson - MH is a 2017 so I assumed the tires were a couple years old. Come to find out the manufacture date on all of the tires was February of 2015. Tires were 4 1/2 years old. Also the rig is a former rental so no telling how the tires were maintained and was probably stored outside.

Any help appreciated!

RVJeeper18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:36 PM   #2

Most of the major tire brands offer a light truck highway tire rated at load range E or above. My tire guy has sold me on Toyo as of late, they have a tire that would work called Open Country H/T II. This is what I will likely use as it is similar to the Michelins that came on the motorhome, although it is tempting to go with an Open Country C/T which is an M+S rated commercial tire. Really any 10 ply tire would work.

Old 09-17-2019, 06:07 PM   #3

My preferred brand is Michelin. I've good luck with them on all my vehicles.

To save yourself some money on new tires, and to get better Roadside Assistance, I suggest you consider joining the FMCA. Their tire program offers very good pricing and offers several brands. Their Roadside Assistance program has very good coverage at a reasonable price. And last you will get FMCAssist as part of your annual dues. You can read more here: FMCA

RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 11:49 AM   #4

I just thought I had it all figured out.... Going with Continental VancoFourSeason on the rear as they have a higher Load Index and the Michelin Defender LTX M/S on the front to retain ride.

I am using Discount Tire and had ordered the tires. They just called and told me they called Michelin and the Defender LTX M/S has been discontinued and they can't find any anywhere even in inventory at other stores. They said Michelin told them the new replacement is the Agilis CrossClimate.

Has anyone tried this tire?

I see it has a max inflation of 90 psi - I thought the stock wheels on the E450 MH's have an 80 psi max?

Am I missing anything?
Old 09-18-2019, 08:15 PM   #5

Tread noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by retireearly View Post
Most of the major tire brands offer a light truck highway tire rated at load range E or above. My tire guy has sold me on Toyo as of late, they have a tire that would work called Open Country H/T II. This is what I will likely use as it is similar to the Michelins that came on the motorhome, although it is tempting to go with an Open Country C/T which is an M+S rated commercial tire. Really any 10 ply tire would work.
If the choice were mine, I would not favor a Mud and Snow tire. The tread noise on the highway would be really annoying.

(For all of you that have off-road tread patterns and say that the noise never bothers you, guess what? I have just sensitized you to it and you will never get those tires again.)

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:40 PM   #6

Tire answers

For what it's worth I found Tire Rack dot com via this forum to help with information for my tires.
Lots of information there for the looking.

https://www.tirerack.com/content/tir.../homepage.html

Hope this helps

Chris in Virginia

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:46 PM   #7
Broken Toe

I've heard a lot of good things about Castle Rock tires.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:25 PM   #8

Thumbs up Motorhome Tires

When we bought our 2013 coach in 2017 it had less than 17,000 miles on it. The tires all had dry rot and checking of the sidewalls. I decided, for safety and piece of mind, to replace all six tires.

Because of the FMCA deal with Michelin (mentioned above) I was able to save $106 per time by using the FMCA Advantage program.

Highly recommend FMCA for the tire deal and the Assist benefit available at no additional cost.
LannyCox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:00 PM   #9

I was using the Michelin LT tires that came on my RV. Like you, I have a 32' class C. I had 2 tire incidents and I do not blame the Michelins. The tires were 4 years old and I had one blowout and a tread separation. The first was due to a slow leak not detected and the separation was blamed on extremely rough interstate highway.
Anyway, I read everything on this forum and others with opinions being all over the map.
After research, I discovered the LT tires are 10ply rated but the plys are steel and polyester. I compared to the commercial XPS tires from Michelin as I understand are 10 ply rated with the same weight carrying specification but, the plys are all steel and the tires are re-cappable, which I would never do.
So, 18 months ago I purchased new Michelin XPS Commercial tires, hoping for a tougher tire. I have about 10k miles on them without issue and with little wear showing.
Are they better than the LT's, don't know. They do ride a little harsher as they have a stiffer sidewall.
Time will tell of I made the correct decision and I may be the only one on this forum running them so, do your homework and take good care of your tires.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:51 AM   #10

Update - I went with the Continental VancoFourSeason all the way around. They are a relatively new tire made specifically for Commercial Vans/Trucks. They have a higher Load Index which gives a higher max load capacity.

I looked at some of the other "Commercial" truck tires but all I found had a higher max psi - at least 90 psi or even higher. I have read that the standard wheels on the E450 Chassis are only rated up to 80psi.

Intended to go with the continentals on the rear but stay with the Michelin Defender LTX M/S on ther front to help ride quality. Discovered the Defenders have been discontinued and replaced with the Agilis CrossClimate - which have a 90 psi max. So I just went with the Continentals on the front also.

So far I ran the new tires on a little 120 mile trip and I am very pleased. At worst the ride quality is unchanged from the Michelins and I think the tire/road noise is less. We are headed cross country this weekend so wqill report back.

Tags
tire, tires