Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2008, 05:52 PM   #1

New class A motorhome driver

I just traded a Vortex Toy Hauler 2500 SRD in for a 2008 Georgetown SE 350DS. I was towing the toy hauler with a Ford Excursion. I did not have to much trouble keeping the Excursion and toy hauler in one lane. Now that I have moved to a class A I am having a little trouble judging the MH position in the lane. The question is how can I judge where I am in the lane with my class A MH. I have though about putting a line or dot on the front window. In the Excursion or other cars I use the hood line on the driver side. I know I will get the feel of where I am in time but until then I can use some other ideas. Thanks

2007 Georgetown SE Bunk Beds
2005 HD Road King Classic
ATVs for the whole family
Wife and 2 boys age 8 & 6
just_ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 03:36 PM   #2

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_ride View Post
I just traded a Vortex Toy Hauler 2500 SRD in for a 2008 Georgetown SE 350DS. I was towing the toy hauler with a Ford Excursion. I did not have to much trouble keeping the Excursion and toy hauler in one lane. Now that I have moved to a class A I am having a little trouble judging the MH position in the lane. The question is how can I judge where I am in the lane with my class A MH. I have though about putting a line or dot on the front window. In the Excursion or other cars I use the hood line on the driver side. I know I will get the feel of where I am in time but until then I can use some other ideas. Thanks
Welcome to the crowd. I looked at the SE 350DS, but couldn't make a deal on it. Very nice layout compared to my SE 315 DS, I am sure you will enjoy it.

The easiest thing to do is go by the center divider in the windshield. I am good with mine now, but it took me a couple of drives to get the hang of it. Looking from the driver's position, I like to keep the divider about 2-3 inches left of the right hand side of the road, more if I am on a narrow backroad (just have to watch for oncoming traffic tho to give 'em room). Once you drive it a few times and look to see how far from the center line you are in your left mirror, you can adjust that 2-3 inches to suit yourself. Not much different that driving off the center of your car or truck. Have fun!
Chasracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:26 PM   #3

Thanks for the advice. I think I was gaven a good deal on the MH and my trade in. The boys have there own bed and TV. I think its the bast part of moving to the new RV. Think too for the welcome.

2007 Georgetown SE Bunk Beds
2005 HD Road King Classic
ATVs for the whole family
Wife and 2 boys age 8 & 6
just_ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_ride View Post
Thanks for the advice. I think I was gaven a good deal on the MH and my trade in. The boys have there own bed and TV. I think its the bast part of moving to the new RV. Think too for the welcome.
Sounds good. I was surprised as my 315 is only a year old and I was willing to let it go + $10k for the new one and they turned their nose at it. They wanted double the money which was way too much. Course they have called me about 3 times since to make the same deal, but its too late as I have moved on to finishing off the upstairs in the house. Probably a better investment of the money anyway! I really liked the bunkbeds and DVD units, my grandkids would have loved it!
Chasracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:12 PM   #5

mirrors

So on my 370XL, the lower part of the side mirrors clearly shows the lines. I typically keep an eye on the centerline.
TulsaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasracer View Post
Welcome to the crowd. I looked at the SE 350DS, but couldn't make a deal on it. Very nice layout compared to my SE 315 DS, I am sure you will enjoy it.

The easiest thing to do is go by the center divider in the windshield. I am good with mine now, but it took me a couple of drives to get the hang of it. Looking from the driver's position, I like to keep the divider about 2-3 inches left of the right hand side of the road, more if I am on a narrow backroad (just have to watch for oncoming traffic tho to give 'em room). Once you drive it a few times and look to see how far from the center line you are in your left mirror, you can adjust that 2-3 inches to suit yourself. Not much different that driving off the center of your car or truck. Have fun!
Ant ideas If one has a single piece (no center divider) windshield? I am buying a new non-forest river MH (nice unit could find a FR product locally) and it had a one piece windshield. Probably just use the mirrors.

2006 F250 6.0 Harley Edition
2008 Cedar Creek Day Dreamer
Keith and Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote