Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2016, 08:51 PM   #1

New Tires

Will be shopping for new tires for my Forester 3011. How do you get the newest dated tire possible. Don't want a tire that is already a year or two old when buying. How do you convey to the dealer ship what you want?
Frank & Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:10 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank & Eve View Post
How do you convey to the dealer ship what you want?
I just tell the tire dealership that I will not accept any tire with a Date Code over 6 months old. I have yet to get any push back from the dealer when I've done that. I have had to wait for tires to be shipped since the dealers inventory in stock was out of my date range. Very few customers know about this issue so the dealer just sells the older tires to someone who doesn't know, or care, about aged new tires.

If you are a member of the FMCA (Family Motor Coach Association) check in to their Michelin Advantage Program. I haven't used it yet but it supposed to offer some very good deals.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:01 AM   #3

Update....Got all new tires, now ready for the road. Was not a bit of problem asking for tires with a new date code. The dealer understood the request and was very helpful. Our tires are just 3 months old. The old tires were just 3 yrs old and cracking at the side walls. Going to go ahead and get the tire covers for these. Can't hurt.
Frank & Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:12 AM   #4
Site Team

I've found most tire dealers won't argue over date codes. And I've personally seen "new" tires with a date code five years old. New tires keep coming in, and the dealer doesn't rotate their stock properly, so the oldest tires stay at the bottom of the pile.

One our local TV station's "Investigative Reporters" found "new" Firestone tires, in the size and date codes involved in the Explorer recall, still being sold... I guess the dealer knew most folks don't take the time to register their new tires with the manufacturer. It pays to check what you are buying!

If you haven't yet get good air pressure and tread depth gauges to check your new tires with!

Tags
tire, tires