Old 03-02-2016, 11:48 AM   #1
new to rvs advice please

New to RVís. We are looking at getting into the market and would like any thoughts on the following please. Good and bad, MPG expected diesel or petrol. We have narrowed it to the following layouts. Also any other brands to look at would be appreciated.

Coachman leprechaun 240fs
Forester 2401W mobs
Sunseeker 2400W
Dynamax Corp Isata 3 Series 24FW
Regards and thanks on advance

knoddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 11:52 AM   #2
Georgia Frog Rally 2017
First welcome to the forum. If your looking at MH I'd choose a diesel over gas and that depends if your going to travel and drive in the mountains. Later RJD

2015 35 FT V-Lite 30WRLIKS Diamond Package
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2015--46
Days booked for 2016--60
Days camped in 2016 so far 51
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 12:07 PM   #3
If you have never owned a motorhome before, I would recommend you rent one for a few days. I wish we had. If you don't, at least make sure you sit in every seat, check if you can see the tv (turn it on if you can) easily. Open every drawer, every cabinet, look at every outlet. Checkout everything as though you were living in it. Don't ever buy without taking a good test drive. If we had rented first, our first motorhome would have been a different model. We found the "living" portion cramped and uncomfortable for us. Also, if you are going to ever use it in cold weather, are the tanks heated? Does it have double pane windows? If you plan to tow a car now or later, what are the limits..I recently noted the Coachmen Prism could only tow 3,500 lbs ... Yet the Winnabego View (almost the same coach) could tow at least 5,000 lbs. Don't rush into your purchase, don't sign anything until you are sure. Don't pay too much! Discounts of 25 to 35% off the MSRP (sticker) are not uncommon. Don't be fooled by the low monthly paytment as they sometimes extend it out 20 years. Most RVs have little if any value at the end of 20 years. Also watch your apr. Don't take service contracts or other add on items without really knowing what you are buying. We purchased a service contract only to find out later the company that issued it was well know for trying to get out of paying for repairs. We ended up cancelling it. I decided for us it was better to pay for any repairs out of our own pocket...your results may vary.
Bob Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 12:48 PM   #4
Thanks, yes we are going to rent one first
knoddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 11:58 AM   #5
When looking at any RV, be it a MH, 5th Wheel, or TT, make a check list of things that are the most important for you to have. Some items will be non-negotiable, others will be highly desirable, some will be in the "nice to have" category. I would pick a diesel MH if I were choosing because you may need to change what you pull later on. It also handles mountains better if you plan on seeing them. If you are planning on taking extended trips the storage in a unit becomes increasingly important. Get as large of refrigerator as possible, so you aren't headed to the grocery store every 3rd day or having to pack a ice chest because the refrigerator isn't big enough. Been there done that, do not want the T shirt. Same for pantry space, you will be surprised how many RVs have little to no pantry storage area, and they sleep 10! Where's the FOOD? Is there enough kitchen cabinetry to hold all the dishes and pots/pans you will need to take? Is there sufficient closet space for the number of people that will be going with you? Drawers in the bedroom are also nice, but how deep are they and how easy to get to. Open every closet, cabinet, and drawer to make sure it operates well. And like a previous poster said: sit in every chair and lay on the bed for a while. Can you easily see the TV from the sitting area, or do you have to sit sideways and turn your head to see it?
And, exterior storage is important for lawn chairs, canopies, tools, etc.; is there enough? Also, what kind of levelers are supplied: fully automatic system, powered, or manual crank? Is there an awning? Powered and lighted? Can you tow something behind you? How much?
Of course you want to look at the overall quality of the build, do a search for a specific model number on this and other forums to see what owners of the unit are saying about them. Lots of homework now may help you enjoy your new RV a lot more later!
D_B Travelers - 30 nights in 2016... so far. 54 nights in 2015. 2014 Rockwood Windjammer 3001W Diamond Pkg, 2015 GMC 3500HD CC DRW Duramax, Equalizer 14K hitch, TST 507rv TPMS.
"Happiness? A good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle."
George Burns (1896 Ė 1996)
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 12:04 PM   #6
Don't know for sure but I don't think you can get a diesel in a class c motorhome.
2015 Salem 27RKSS
2015 Ram 2500 CC 4x4 Cummins
55' Chevy Bel-Air
Burgers on the BBQ and a cold beer
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 12:49 PM   #7
2012 Solera
The Mercedes Benz Sprinter (MBS) based B's, B+'s and C's are diesel. C's are limited to 24 foot units, I believe.
2012 Solera "S"
Calif SF Bay Area
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 01:24 PM   #8
Diesel is great if you are going to drive the RV 150,000 miles or more. That is what it would take to make up the difference in cost between gas and diesel. My first three motorhomes (gas) had only 50,000 miles after 10 years each. First two were Leprechauns and I loved them. Now I have a Mirada A.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 01:29 PM   #9
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
Don't know for sure but I don't think you can get a diesel in a class c motorhome.
Yes you can see attached link:
Dynamax - Manufacturer of Luxury Class C & Super C Motorhomes

If I was interested in a Motor Home and wanted a "Class C" than this is what I would purchase. If you are going to pull a toad behind the Class C which some do than a diesel engine equipped vehicle is the way to go.
Jim W.
2016 34RL CC; 2008 Ram Mega Cab 2500HD, 6.7L, 68RFE 6 speed, 4X4, Smarty S67
Jim34RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 01:35 PM   #10
The diesel will hold it's value better, use 1/2 the gas and better in the mtns. I love my 24.5' Sprinter class C.

mtnlvr is online now   Reply With Quote