Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2015, 07:49 AM   #1

OK to use unvented propane regulator?

Last night was our second night with no propane and the outside temp in the upper 30s. (Just replaced regulator 7 days ago. It worked just two or three nights.) I can't get my hands on a "vented" two-stage propane regulator. But, Lowes has an "unvented" two-stage regulator. Does anyone know if I can safely use the unvented one? We have a 2015 GT, the kids say their freezing and the DW is displaying a lot of patience. (Small electric heater is keeping it tolerable.) Dealer purged and refilled tank in March due to moisture in tank.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:30 AM   #2
Site Team

You should be able to use it as long as the capacity is large enough to satisfy the equipment requirement However, if it's moisture again, it won't help.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:35 AM   #3

Thanks. I still suspect moisture again, but we're on the road and can't find anyone to deal with it.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:37 AM   #4
Who Dares, Wins

Can you rig up a portable tank to use in the mean time to avoid the freeze.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 12:10 PM   #5

I cant advive on regulators, Im curious as to how m oisture got in the tank
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 01:10 PM   #6

Most likely not properly purged on 1st fill up.
j free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 03:51 PM   #7

For those who've ask, when we bought the GT in Jan, we took off on a brief trip to FL. Heaters didn't work on the way and only worked a short time while there then froze up again on way back to OH. Dealer purged and refilled...said came from factory with moisture in tank.. So they purged and refilled it. It has worked fine until the past two weeks in NE. Finally stop entirely a week ago. Bought new regulator and it worked for a couple of days. First regulator was about $50, but after that appears to have failed I found one at Lowes for $29.95 But it's unvented, which is why I ask the question.
Old 10-20-2015, 05:58 PM   #8

If you think it may be moisture in tank then are you able to wrap the tank with a blanket maybe an electric one on low. It should help to prevent the moisture from freezing in the middle of the night until you get home. Also is it only the heater that dose not work are you still getting propane to the other items?
j free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:27 PM   #9

Just swapped out regulators using the $29.95 regulator from Lowes. Glad to say, we're back in business! Thank you all.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:41 PM   #10

The only way to remove the moisture from the tank is to blow down the tank to empty and purge it with propane vapor not liquid . Add menthol to the tank and refill it . Wrapping the tank will not work because the moisture will freeze in the office inside the regulator . Good luck .
Old 10-21-2015, 10:05 AM   #11

Send a message via Skype™ to Eaglelover
Regulator

I also suspect moisture. If the new regulator is doing the same thing as the original, I would remove the regulator and disconnect some of the lines and blow them out with air. Do not blow them towards any appliance. Blow them backwards toward the regulator open line.
If you find moisture in the lines I would install a T fitting where the flexible line meets the hard line going to the RV and put in a short drop pipe with a cap as a trap. I would also change your propane supplier if you have been using the same propane source.
I have been in temperatures below 20 degrees without any freezing problems. Good luck; Frank
Eaglelover is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, vent