Old 04-12-2019, 11:38 PM   #1

Onan 4000 generator will not stay running

I had my generator on today running a heater and al of a sudden it quit running. It will run as long as I hold the start button down. As soon as I let off it dies. Also the start button use to light up red when the generator was running it doesnít do that now. I have checked fuses circuit breakers and it has oil and almost 1/2 tank of gas. Any help would be awesome!

Onan model 4kyfa26100g
Serial i97373250

Basballace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 12:04 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basballace View Post
I had my generator on today running a heater and al of a sudden it quit running. It will run as long as I hold the start button down. As soon as I let off it dies. Also the start button use to light up red when the generator was running it doesnít do that now. I have checked fuses circuit breakers and it has oil and almost 1/2 tank of gas. Any help would be awesome!

Onan model 4kyfa26100g

Serial i97373250

I had an Onan 4K that developed the same issue. It turns out that the oil pressure sensor had failed. The sensor was bypassed as long as the starter was cranking but as soon as the start button was released the controller thought there was no oil pressure and killed the ignition.

xgarys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 12:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgarys View Post
I had an Onan 4K that developed the same issue. It turns out that the oil pressure sensor had failed. The sensor was bypassed as long as the starter was cranking but as soon as the start button was released the controller thought there was no oil pressure and killed the ignition.
I have a friend who suggested that. I have looked to see if I could see one but I donít see it.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:15 AM   #4

Does anybody have a diagram on this generator? I have looked online and haven’t found much. I’m trying to see if it has a oil pressure sensor and where it’s located. Thank you
Old 04-22-2019, 05:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Does anybody have a diagram on this generator? I have looked online and havenít found much. Iím trying to see if it has a oil pressure sensor and where itís located. Thank you
What about looking at Google images maby someone has it posted.
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:58 PM   #6

I have googled it. It comes up with all kinds. Some are close to my model but I haven’t actually found my exact model. Useally I can find all kinds of stuff. Not this one for some reason
Old 04-22-2019, 12:59 PM   #7

Quote:
I have googled it. It comes up with all kinds. Some are close to my model but I havenít actually found my exact model. Useally I can find all kinds of stuff. Not this one for some reason
Any thing on you tube?
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 09:01 PM   #8

Did you find problem yet? My Buddyís was the air filter was all dirty
retired on a mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 04:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired on a mountain View Post
Did you find problem yet? My Buddyís was the air filter was all dirty
Any solution on this? I have the exact same problem
gomatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 04:56 PM   #10

does the onan 4000 flash an error code when it shuts down? i know our 5500 does. if it is flashing an error code what is it?
Old 05-07-2019, 09:47 AM   #11

Right now, it's an error 14.

It ran for 2 days and then just cut out. I had changed the oil 48 hours before and didn't tighten the oil drain plug enough so there was a small leak before it quit.

I found a great video online about the dipstick being wrong when it comes to measuring oil level. I leveled the coach and then used a turkey baster to remove excess oil. That didn't help.
gomatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:58 AM   #12

It looks like error code 14 is a high frequency alarm. The first thing I would check is fuel starvation. Here is something I found:
[ATTACH]203996Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1050.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	226.1 KB
ID:	203996
xgarys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 06:42 PM   #13

A new fuel pump and fuel filter made mine run for longer than 2or3 minutes at a time. It should throw out an error code.
Carmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:05 PM   #14

Sorry guys. No I havenít found the problem. I have noticed if I let it sit for a while and start it, itíll start but shut off as soon as the converter clicks over because I can hear it click. The other day I had it running for over 30 mins with the ac on no issues?!?! But if I turned it off it would be a 50/50 chance of it staying running

Tags
generator, onan