Old 10-07-2009, 12:42 AM   #1

Opinion on Options

We are in the market for a new RV and wanted some input on what options are 'must haves', 'who cares' or 'pain in the butts'. Any personal experience/advice will be welcomed:
  • Automatic Leveling Jacks (bigfoot)
  • Artic Package
  • Electric Step
  • Extra Coach Battery
  • Slideout Battery Tray
Any other Options we should consider?
Thanks

Old 10-07-2009, 07:07 AM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougguy View Post
We are in the market for a new RV and wanted some input on what options are 'must haves', 'who cares' or 'pain in the butts'. Any personal experience/advice will be welcomed:
  • Automatic Leveling Jacks (bigfoot) Definitely a big benefit.
  • Artic Package If you're in the South maybe not necessary but in colder climates I'd recommend it.
  • Electric Step Unless it's a smaller unit I believe this is standard equipment.
  • Extra Coach Battery. More Power available the better.
  • Slideout Battery Tray. Not really a big time need.
Any other Options we should consider?
Thanks
I'd recommend Black Water Tank Flush if not already standard equipment. Side-view Cameras along with the rear camera.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:18 PM   #3

Coug, You didn't mention what type of rig you are thinking about, 5er, TT or coach.

Our short list of "must haves" included:

Dual pane windows which offer more insulation from the cold and noise.
Leather seating, holds less dust and dirt, easier to clean.
Extra batteries, as many as I could fit for dry camping.
Solar Panels, to recharge those batteries.

Obviously extra batteries and solar panels aren't anything you can order from a manufacturer.

Electric steps are usually a standard with most motorhomes don't know if they are options for trailers or not.

I bought the side view cameras but just can't get my brain to remember it's there to use, just used to using my mirrors, however I do like the built in LED turn signals in the camera pods though.

We love our backup camera with sound so that you can actually hear the wife shouting at you when you back up (hmm maybe this isn't a good thing...)

Not having your knees under your chin while on the throne, be sure to sit on the toilet when looking at RVs....
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 04:17 PM   #4

Great feedback -- it's for a Class C (3120DS) that will be used primarily in the great Pacific Northwest.

One option Forest River offers is a 450W inverter. Will that be big enough to run TV, Microwave without firing up the generator? Would it be better to wait and get the unit then have a larger (2000W) inverter installed? Any idea what kind of money that would cost aftermarket?

Also -- the standard generator is a Guardian 4.0. They offer an upgrade for about $500 to an Onan 4.0. Any idea whether or not this is worth it?

Thanks again -- this is great information to have ahead of purchasing.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:29 PM   #5

Rear camera with sound is great.

Also I recommend getting the best side view mirrors possible. I have the heated "bus style" mirrors on my rig.

The rear camera is also great for passing. I can watch my TOAD pass a car/semi and know when to pull back over even if the wife is asleep.

If your going to tow a vehicle I would recommend the Unified Tow Brake from USGear.

The inverter depends a lot on how you'll use the rig. Dry camping? Mostly in campgrounds with power?

I do mostly campgrounds with power, but in summer you get brown outs and such which can be pretty rough on the electronics and the A/C units so I added a device to clean/protect the power and maintain the voltage.

http://voltagebooster.com/
Old 10-07-2009, 06:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Great feedback -- it's for a Class C (3120DS) that will be used primarily in the great Pacific Northwest.

One option Forest River offers is a 450W inverter. Will that be big enough to run TV, Microwave without firing up the generator? Would it be better to wait and get the unit then have a larger (2000W) inverter installed? Any idea what kind of money that would cost aftermarket?

Also -- the standard generator is a Guardian 4.0. They offer an upgrade for about $500 to an Onan 4.0. Any idea whether or not this is worth it?

A 450 watt inverter may be enough for the TV, probably not the TV and DVD. You would need at least a 1500 watt inverter for the microwave however I never advocate using an inverter to power the micro. as it just takes too much battery power to do it. Start the generator if you want to run the microwave.

For the TV, DVD and possibly a satellite receiver you can get buy with a 1000 watt inverter but as I have found you need a true sine wave (TSW) inverter as the LCD screens of most TVs don't like the power output of the cheaper modified sine wave (msw) inverters.

As for the generator do some google searches for both and see what you find. I have heard good and bad for both. No matter what the generator you get you will be best to make sure that you add Stabil to your gas and run the gen. to make sure it gets to the carb on it otherwise the gas goes bad in the generator carb and makes them difficult to start.

Since you will be using it in the northwest then definitely the dual pane windows if available and an awning is also nice, but I am not sold on the electric ones, I miss my old A&E awning I had to put up myself.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:25 AM   #7

Back up camera is a must. Very helpful if you have to set up alone.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:36 AM   #8

NWJeeper said:
"Since you will be using it in the northwest then definitely the dual pane windows if available and an awning is also nice, but I am not sold on the electric ones, I miss my old A&E awning I had to put up myself."

Jeeper, I agree...! The electric awning is nice when your at home and the family is over and you say "hey watch this", and they oooo and aaah..! The old A&E you pull it out, adjust the height where you like it, tilt it left or tilt it right to allow water run-off to drip in a spot where you won't be walking in it. I miss it...!
Old 09-08-2010, 12:43 AM   #9

Quote:

I ordered the 450W inverter, turned out to be a 1000V inverter. Run 32" TV/DVD player just fine. We use it mostly for entertaining the kids while driving. They can sit(buckled in) in the back and watch the cab-over TV.

Backup camera and outside entertainment centre are great options as well. I love music and there is nothing like music around a camp fire :-)