Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2016, 07:36 AM   #1

Ordered 2017 270S

I decided on a 270S and ordered it yesterday. If anyone has a good PDI or items PDIs miss, especially specific to a 270S, please post it here. Thanks in Advance.
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 12:35 PM   #2

Congrats and good luck with it! Here's a link to a good PDI thread and my own document I put together after asking others here what to look out for on G'towns a couple of years ago. Most should still be helpful I think.
The other thing I would mention is that our PDI took over 3 hours...We brought along a video camera and filmed all the instructional stuff because there is no way you can absorb stuff like "how the thermostat fan needs to be set to AUT before the propane heating will work or the 14 step process to get your drivers seat to swivel. LOL
Found it very useful after the fact!
All best & welcome to G'town...where the sun always shines!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 06:23 PM   #3

Link is missing?
Old 11-30-2016, 06:59 PM   #4

Duh... here it is! http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1087774
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 06:27 AM   #5
JBP

We have had several coaches. The wife takes notes while I observe. Works most of the time. The movie idea is better. Enjoy new coach.
Blue ox and Brake buddy
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 06:11 PM   #6

We bought a used 2015 270S and have made several changes that help us enjoy it. Overall we are thrilled, but... Where to start?

A major aggravation was the 12" length of the kitchen drawers. Don't understand why FR made them so short: there was plenty of dead space behind them. Things like spatulas had to go crooked, which messed up the whole drawer and severely limited capacity. So we made all new 16-1/2" long drawer boxes. They could be longer if you're willing to relocate the false wall behind them.

The five slide out pantry drawers next to the refrigerator are terrific, but again FR did not use space efficiently. The drawer boxes are made of 3/4" thick birch plywood which is beautiful, but takes 1-1/2 inches of width, so you can't store 2 cereal boxes side by side. Thinner wood would be strong enough. Better yet, wire baskets would waste almost no width, let you see the drawer's contents, and be lighter to boot. While I'm knocking the pantry, why do I need an outer door which must be opened before you can slide out a drawer. Why not put a drawer front on each pantry drawer box and eliminate the outer door? Better yet, keep the outer door but attach all the drawers to it so one pull opens all the drawers!

We had repeated trouble (as noted in some other threads) with crud from the water heater plugging up the toilet valve. I learned that unlike residential water heaters, RV heaters do not have an internal check valve. But knowing this, a thoughtful coach builder would install one externally. When the weather breaks I hope to install a check valve on the water heater's cold water inlet (). Perhaps FR corrected this in later units.

Still working on a good place to store sewer hoses.

The seat belts in the U-shaped dinette were rudely installed without a break in the 1 x 1 support strips or the plywood that supports the cushions. So the belts 1) do not have a free pull from their floor mountings, 2) lack guides where they emerge which could allow a belted passenger to slide sideways, and 3) get pinched, kinked and abraded as they emerge. I suspect this is standard in the industry, but I cut and smoothed notches in the 1 x 1s and plywood to free, protect and guide the belts.

I put a garden hose hanger on the wall of the rear driverside compartment to square away the electrical pigtail. Keeping the pigtail coils off the floor dramatically increased the available space for other gear.

My major remaining complaint (and this seems to be industry wide) is: Why do there need to be 5 different keys: 1 for ignition, 1 for the entry door, 2 different ones for the storage compartments and fuel filler, and a fourth for the engine compartment! Why hasn't someone made a family of locks that can be keyed alike? It's not a new industry!

Don't get the wrong impression from all this whining. We love the Georgetown and didn't see anything else at under 30 feet that came close.
geoff270ssf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 02:03 PM   #7

Initial Set Up

I'm going through my " new" 270 and doing all of the mods I did to my TT to make it 100% off-grid ready. I came to the realization that the expensive rear slide tray is a complete waste of space - removed. Fabricating a non removable floor/shelf that will be 1" above grey plastic in the middle 2/3rds. I'll gain 50-100% more available room. If anyone wants to purchase it , send me a PM.

I installed the table in front of the reclining sofa/bed (option upgrade from J dinette - like everything else plusses and minuses) Georgetown forgot to install it at the factory.

Too much to cover now, I'll do a post with pics when I am doine in 4-6 weeks more.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:42 AM   #8

My major remaining complaint (and this seems to be industry wide) is: Why do there need to be 5 different keys: 1 for ignition, 1 for the entry door, 2 different ones for the storage compartments and fuel filler, and a fourth for the engine compartment! Why hasn't someone made a family of locks that can be keyed alike? It's not a new industry!

They do google your lock brand. doors and compartment locks keyed alike.

Frank
FrankMor is offline   Reply With Quote