Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2019, 09:28 AM   #21

Miles per day is way down on the priority scale.

Getting to their daughter's wedding is the mission here, not taking an ordinary cross-country trip. Doing this by road risks mission failure and failure potential is higher in an exhausting week of driving a large unfamiliar vehicle.

Yeah, I think this is a bad idea. But I'm mission oriented.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:44 AM   #22
Gold Tee Box

We keep it right around 400 miles, especially if it's mostly interstate. Two lane roads and small towns are different.

We also plan out most all of our stops and use the time at home in the weeks before we go to look them up.

We plot out Interstate Rest Areas by mile marker so we can anticipate some stretch and rest room stops.

I also plan fuel stops for places easy in/out. We run diesel, so we just plan truck stops and pull in the the big boys. It's easier than trying to get into some of the other pumps. If you look at satellite/street view on your map programs it will give you an better idea of where you want to stop.

When we take off in the morning, we have all our options for stops listed and then adjust as we go.

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:05 AM   #23

We took a trip from PA to Colorado a few years ago. We pretty much stuck to around 300 miles a day. We got a membership for Passport America and checked out the campgrounds within that mile range. Membership came with a catalog showing available campgrounds. (Granted, some campgrounds left a lot to be desired but most were excellent) When we found the CG , I'd check out the local attractions and found some great things to do and see along the way. We'd travel from about 8 or 9 am til about 3 or 4pm and it gave us time to look around.
Member Travel Resorts of America
Retired and adventurous!
Bbfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:38 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by the thing View Post
So, my wife and I and of course Waldo, our road beast, are trying to plan a trip to Chicago, from Phoenix in September, in our 2017 Coachmen Pursuit 27kb, for our daughters wedding.
This will be our first longer trip in the motor home. We're thinking no more than 400 miles a day, taking our time and just enjoying the journey.
My question is, do you plan your itinerary in advance or just find some place to stop each day along the way ? I can see benefits of doing it either way. Any advice or thoughts would be great.
We consider ourselves “ long trip veterans” Lol . Did 17000KM to the Arctic Coast in 2015 and 28000KM in Canada and the US in 2018. We prefer to plan as we go to allow for flexibility. That said, I like to make a reservation sometime during the day to make sure we have a spot to park. When we find a particularly enjoyable place we spend as long as we want there. Just our style.
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:49 PM   #25

I agree with chuck_s. Make reservations on the way to the all important wedding. Get there well in advance so you have a little cushion in case of problems.
On the way back, take your time and don't worry about reservations. We have the best adventures when we have no agenda and just go with it

So, I am curious about the OPs moniker, 'the thing'. Any relation to the I10 attraction in Texas Canyon? https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.azc...amp/1291604002

I love that place! One of my favorite stops. Always force whoever is with me to go through the museum. Then of course there is the draw of a butterscotch Dilly Bar
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 01:31 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I agree with chuck_s. Make reservations on the way to the all important wedding. Get there well in advance so you have a little cushion in case of problems.
On the way back, take your time and don't worry about reservations. We have the best adventures when we have no agenda and just go with it

So, I am curious about the OPs moniker, 'the thing'. Any relation to the I10 attraction in Texas Canyon? https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.azc...amp/1291604002

I love that place! One of my favorite stops. Always force whoever is with me to go through the museum. Then of course there is the draw of a butterscotch Dilly Bar
Lol. 'The Thing' is what we call the motor home because we don't know whether to call it a coach or a motor home!!
the thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 01:44 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by the thing View Post
Lol. 'The Thing' is what we call the motor home because we don't know whether to call it a coach or a motor home!!
Ah! That's a great name for your RV. You should get graphics made up for it. Be sure and post pics here if you do
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 02:18 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Ah! That's a great name for your RV. You should get graphics made up for it. Be sure and post pics here if you do
Yeah, we plan on doing that !!
the thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 12:47 PM   #29

For us the variable is Toad or no? We can get up to 500 miles in a day with no Toad and not be tired, but with the Toad it seems to slow us down some and require extra mental energy.
retireearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 03:27 PM   #30

Since you have a definite date when you need to be out there (wedding), I would make reservations ahead of time for the trip out. Use google satellite and map out doable chunks of driving each day. We often pull all nighters because we both work and time is short but I couldn't do 2 all nighters in a row so don't plan out super long driving days back to back. Plan to get there a little early so if you have problems along the way then you have some time to play with. If your schedule allows then I would wing it on the way back. If you really have some time then schedule in a side trip or two on the way back and stay 2-4 days and sightsee a couple of places (thats a long way to drive just to go out and back). If time is tight and you're just going out and right back then I'd consider flying. Driving is great but gas gets expensive and it is tiring driving all day. best of luck

Chevy Express 3500 van
Palomino Solaire 251RBSS
Wherever you go, go with all your heart.
cincia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:56 PM   #31

I still can't believe anyone would attempt anything that has the slightest chance of missing or even being late for their daughter's wedding.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:33 PM   #32

Jeez oh Pete! The OP knows what he has and what he wants to do. He has all spring and summer to prep so he asks for a little insight from the forum. We all know folks who've had issues, but many more who have not. Enough of this 'sky is falling' bs. They know what they'd like to do. Give them some positive energy for the love of Mike!
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 07:25 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Sifter View Post
Jeez oh Pete! The OP knows what he has and what he wants to do. He has all spring and summer to prep so he asks for a little insight from the forum. We all know folks who've had issues, but many more who have not. Enough of this 'sky is falling' bs. They know what they'd like to do. Give them some positive energy for the love of Mike!

X2 I’m with dirt sifter.

FYI campgrounds in Illinois and Iowa generally don’t shut down for the season until the middle of October.
Old 05-04-2019, 09:05 AM   #34

Nearly everything is still open in September, but the crowds are smaller. Call ahead in the afternoon for a place for that night. Then you are flexible and always have a place to stay.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote