Old 02-08-2016, 11:09 AM   #21
Originally Posted by gordonsick View Post
Thanks to all the posts, we are building up a nice list of experiences for various jurisdictions.

So, I should tell you of my experience in the sites I frequent.

Kananaskis Country (Alberta Provincial Parks) plus Mt Kidd RV park in K-country
– Does not check length. Usually, you pre-book and just drive into your site. If you were blocking a road, you would probably have a problem.

Banff and Lake Louise (National Parks in Canada)
– You check in at a booth (after pre-registering online), but they don't measure your rig. I've seen a big rig with a tag axle jutting out into the road. He was there for a while, so I'm not sure if he met anything more severe than the glares of the other campers with smaller units.
I have run into a site at Grundy Lake that was 32 ft limited and I could not get onto the site without ratchet strapping trees back to prevent scratches. All sites for the most part have pictures on the web. Better have 100 ft of power cable, some site share a pedestal between them.

I camp on 32 ft site with a 32 ft fiver no issues all over Ontario. Pinery on lake huron even has some long spots with 50 amps, most there are smaller for popups from when the park was built.

B and B
2013 Rockwood 8289 Diamond Edition
GY D's/2.5 inch lift kit/Powerhouse 4 KW EFI Generator
2016 Ford F 350 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab FX4
2008 Golden Falcon 380PA Park Model Model

"Oh Canada,True North Strong and Free!"
B and B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 03:43 PM   #22
Originally Posted by Fluffywhitedogs View Post
Bronte isn't a park where any personnel will nitpick things that aren't an issue. If your unit fits, nobody will care. I walk my dogs there several days a weeks and camp a few times a year, it's a "chill" place as long as you're respectful of others.
One note, if you have a small or medium sized dog, keep him close...the coyotes there are very bold...
We don't have a dog anymore, but the coyotes sound interesting, because I do a lot of nature photography. I don't have any good coyote photos, so here is my chance, along with the local birds.

Gordon Sick, Calgary
2015 Berkshire 34QS
2005 Acura EL (aka Honda Civic)
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 03:54 PM   #23
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Inverhuron has many 50 amp sites.
I stand corrected thanks B and B I was hoping you would post. By your posts you have stayed at a lot more P.P. than I have.
2014 Forester 3051s
2016 Nissan Pathfinder SL
2012 Sonic toad
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:45 AM   #24
Another thread with similar information

People on this thread have posted some very useful information. Thanks.

I just found a related and active thread at
Maximum Length campsite restrictions...

Gordon Sick, Calgary
2015 Berkshire 34QS
2005 Acura EL (aka Honda Civic)
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 02:49 PM   #25
Gordon Sick, Our experience has been that you don't really know without seeing the site. Last 2 trips to a Corps of Engineers campground at West Point Lake, Georgia, we were in sites that listed as 28' maximum... and if you reserved on line and entered a length more than 28' it stopped to reservation process. Both times we put a 38' 5er in there, put a LWB double cab Dually in front of it with 2 visitor cars in front of that. The actual concrete pad was 28'. A big part of why we fit was we let the rear hang off the back... a lot. Sometimes, we can fit cause we can't hang off the back. That matters because many times just in front of the concrete pad the site pitches up sharply. Any time we are traveling, we check out campgrounds in areas we visit. Where we have not checked... sometimes just take a chance we can fit.
Me & the DW
2016 Coachmen Brookstone 334RE Fifth Wheel
2015 Chevy 3500HD Diesel DRW Crew Cab 4X4 LTZ
PapaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 03:35 PM   #26
It's apparent to me, at least in FL state parks, the sites as represented on the website have not been measured correctly, or the park is using some other criteria to determine the site size. I look at the satellite views and I have been known to fudge (lie) on the actual length of my FW when making a reservation. I have only had one problem one time with a tree on the front corner of a site, but by turning around and approaching the site from the wrong direction was able to get in.

phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote

camping, motorhome