Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2015, 08:37 AM   #1

Pioneer AVIC-U260 Navigation

Knowing how RV manufacturers work, what is the cheapest thing this week, my Georgetown might be the only RV ever built with a Pioneer GPS system. But, if I am wrong, I want to start a thread for Pioneer AVIC-U260 owners.

The Pioneer AVIC-U260 owner’s manual is 76 pages of small text with a bunch of pictures. Not all that easy to find what you want, ask a passenger to make a quick change, or ask a friend to set up the next destination. I’m trying to create a small 3 to 5 page cheat sheet, totally illustrated, on just how to do the standard things you need for navigation of an RV using the U260.

Plan A is that the final document would cover 10 or 20 common things you normally do with the system. Under each request, like change my vehicle type from car to bus, you would see a series of screen shots with red dots over which button to hit next to get to your final destination. If there is any text, it would-be limited to a sentence or two.
  • Define a location and save it to favorites under a nick name.
  • Define a location and just go there.
  • Go to a saved favorite.
  • Review and modify a route.
  • How to handle a road closure or blockage.
  • Turn off navigation when you get there.
  • Find a restaurant of gas station that can handle a motorhome.
  • Etc.
Again, no long winded explanations of each screen and why you hit which button and what all the other buttons on that screen do, if you want that take out the manual. This is a simple screen shot by screen shot to do list with red dots on what to push, and maybe a brief explanation at the end!

I’d like to work with others on the forum and I am happy to take suggestions and requests and share the final product, a Word document, and I might also publish it on my website.

Contact me on this forum and we can start a user’s group.
Sandy and Shirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 10:00 AM   #2

No response yet for starting a “users group”, so let me give you an example of the types of problems I am trying to solve with this thread.

When we first got our U260, we had problems hearing it over the A/C when driving at high speeds. I actually called Pioneer and they said to ask the dealer to install the auxiliary speaker which the dealer did, but with little to no improvement.

We already knew about the page in the settings menu (touch the map, then “More…”, then settings) and you get to a control where you can adjust the 4 different volume levels including the spoken navigation commands. The factory rep did not mention the second volume control which is also not mentioned in the manual. There is an overall master volume control on the “Quick Menu”. There is a “Menu” button on the navigation map screen which, per the manual, takes you to the “Quick Menu” and that menu has a master volume control at the bottom of it. The default setting is about 50% which is not enough for you to hear commands over road and A/C noise.

Bottom line is that the dealer and tech support did not know enough to tell us how to increase the volume. The dealer actually did a free service upgrade installing the auxiliary speaker as if that was the problem and it was not done properly by Forest River. That is why I wanted to start a thread where owners of a specific navigation unit can help newbees with start up questions!

All of the answers are not intuitive and they are also not all in the manual!
Sandy and Shirley is offline   Reply With Quote