Old 07-10-2016, 12:38 PM   #1

Plastic tasting water

Does anyone know how to get the "plasticy" taste out of the water from city water supply? We have had our new 3051S Forester for almost 2 months now and the water coming thru the plastic piping in our coach still has an unpleasant "plastic" taste to it. Coming thru the midwest, we thought that was how the water tasted there, but when we got home and hooked up to our own good-tasting Oregon water, we still got the same taste. I can only figure that it is coming from the piping.
Any answers on what to do? Would not like to have to rely on only bottled water and also the ice from our icemaker has the same taste.
??

Toad: 2014 Honda CR-V AWD
GO DUCKS !! (Well, maybe next year)
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
JimOneil43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:12 AM   #2

Are you using a potable water approved hose? They are usually white or blue. Regular garden hoses will leech some plastic taste to the water.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by uttcut View Post
Are you using a potable water approved hose? They are usually white or blue. Regular garden hoses will leech some plastic taste to the water.
Yes, we are, so I don't think that is the problem.
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
Old 07-14-2016, 11:10 AM   #4

If you haven't, I would maybe try to drain your fresh tank and then sanitize it. Maybe that will help
Old 07-14-2016, 11:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by uttcut View Post
If you haven't, I would maybe try to drain your fresh tank and then sanitize it. Maybe that will help
He is asking about city water, not tank water.

Personally I never drink water from the RV, tank or city. I stick with bottled for drinking when camping.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:24 AM   #6
Site Team

To narrow down the problem, disconnect the hose from the side of the RV and fill a glass from the hose. Taste it. If no taste then it is in RV, otherwise it is the hose. Some inexpensive hoses are not really that good, just made white to give the impression they are RV water supply hoses.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 65W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:33 AM   #7

have you sanitized your water system lately, or ever, for that matter. It needs to be sanitized regardless of whether you use the water tank or not.

Start to fill your water tank, add 1/4 cup of household bleach for every 10 gallons capacity. Once full open every faucet one at a time and allow to run until you smell the bleach. This includes, hot water, toilet, shower, outside shower, and any other faucet I missed. Make sure the water heater is off because you need to replace the water in it also. Then let the the bleach solution sit in the system a minimum of 2 hours, Overnight is better. then drain the tank and fill with fresh water. open faucets one at a time until there is no bleach smell. If you do not want to keep water in the fresh water tank once this task is completed, drain it.

Now each and every time you hook up to an outside fresh water source, attach a charcoal inline filter to your fresh water hook up point and then the fresh water safe hose.

regardless of whether you use the fresh water storage tank or just RV park water, you need to sanitize the system each spring and use a charcoal filter when adding or using water.

hope this helps.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
To narrow down the problem, disconnect the hose from the side of the RV and fill a glass from the hose. Taste it. If no taste then it is in RV, otherwise it is the hose. Some inexpensive hoses are not really that good, just made white to give the impression they are RV water supply hoses.
Well, we tasted the water from just the hose and sure enough! Our normally great tasting water was terrible. The hose we have been using is blue and was supplied to us by our dealer when we got the MH and was told that it was for our city water supply connection....WRONG!! I guess I now have another garden hose.
I guess I will be shopping for a better quality hose....any suggestions on a good source and what a good hose should cost?
Thanks, Flybob, for helping us identify the problem.
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
Old 07-14-2016, 12:55 PM   #9

I've seen several posts recently (here and other places) where the BLUE potable water hose emits a plastic taste/smell even though it is rated/marketed as a fresh water hose.

I've never personally had a blue one. Mine are all white. I've never had a problem with those.
TST Tire Monitor - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
2016 Nights Camped = 46
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 02:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimOneil43 View Post
Well, we tasted the water from just the hose and sure enough! Our normally great tasting water was terrible. The hose we have been using is blue and was supplied to us by our dealer when we got the MH and was told that it was for our city water supply connection....WRONG!! I guess I now have another garden hose.
I guess I will be shopping for a better quality hose....any suggestions on a good source and what a good hose should cost?
Thanks, Flybob, for helping us identify the problem.
I have never had any problems with Camco.. yesI know they are just a rebrander, but so is Camping World. and they are available at most Walmasts, Meijers, and camp stores.

There are cheap ones, expensive ones, and in between ones.

I just checked the stock at my local Wallyworld, the 25' fresh water hose is under $10. the 50' is under $15, pick up the Camco Blue water filter w/short hose for $16. The filter will last you the entire summer and ensure that nothing bad gets into your water system.

BTW, When I finally traded in the 1998 Wildwood 5er, I gave my 5 year old Camco fresh water hoses to my step son, and he is still using them.

Tags
water