Old 02-01-2011, 06:59 PM   #1
Potential Forester owner

All input welcome and appreciated. My husband and I are looking at used 2006 Forester 3101 this weekend - weather permitting (it is coming into a dealer for a trade). Less than 6000 miles and supposedly in mint condition. We are very interested but have a budget and are wondering what this rig might be valued at. I have checked NADA - just looking for other thoughts/opinions. Also - it is a good choice (we hope/think so). This is our first MH! Hubby is retired and I am planning to do so in 3 years. We want to be able to spend some time together traveling but in comfort! Thanks in advance - Pat

PJL210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:06 PM   #2
Another New Owner to a Used RV

We just bought a used 2003 Sunseeker LE by Forest River. (See picture in photo contest gallery-Balckwater River Milton Fl) After 35 years of marrage this is our first RV. I am a bass fisherman first, but camping looks like it will move up in my priorities. They do kind of go together. We had been looking for about a year at used Travel Trailers and Motorhomes. NADA was the only pricing guide I could find. It must be okay because it is what the bank used to for a loan value.
I found this Forum before I purchased our unit. I learned a lot about both Forest River and RV's in general becuase of the forum. I continue to learn regularly about maintenance, lists of what to take camping, potential problems etc. Great place. I am glad to be part of the Forest River community. I hope things go well for your family in this new adventure.

CWOdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:11 PM   #3
We also looked at an 31' Forester ('05 Class C). I took it for a test drive and had the back axle weight checked while we were out. With virtually nothing in the rig, it was only about 600 pounds below its maximum axle GW rating.

The tanks (gasoline, potable, grey and black) are all behind the axle, I think. I decided against it because of the axle loading. I was also concerned about the tail swing and potential for grounding the back end resulting from the amount of body overhang at the back.

We ended up with our 02 Georgetown 32' Class A and are happy with after half a season (four trips, 19 days).
Frank and Eileen
No longer RVers or FR owners
F and E Damp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:25 PM   #4
THanks for your reply! Can you explain a bit more about what you wrote? How did you weigh the rear axle - truck weigh station? By grounding do you mean scarping on the road or driveway (we have a fairly steep one). Hubby is asking these questions and your help is appreciated! THanks.....
PJL210 is offline   Reply With Quote