Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2011, 05:05 PM   #1
Kanadian Kamper

Power surge protectors

Looking for input from the experienced campers.

Are power surge protectors something that should be seriously considered for camping? Is there that much concern about the quality of power supplied at campgrounds in general? Given the dollar amount of all the electronics in today's camper units, I don't doubt it could be very expensive if power surges or reverse polarity were to be subjected to our rigs.

Has someone that knows the forum better, ever set this question up as a survey?

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:16 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

This is your call, however I bought an autotransformer this year. We camp at several friends homes at the end of a long extension cord run. Voltage drop is a serious issue for us. Low voltage can fry electronics as fast as a voltage spike can. The unit we bought contains a surge supressor as part of its circuitry. It is also a two stage unit with 8% and 16% boost when needed.

The unit "converts" amps to volts so you get less amperage available but correct voltage for your AC appliances.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:21 PM   #3

Have a Progressive Industries EMS30. They also make a 50 amp model. Check it out. The unit is an electrical management system as well as a surge protector.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:24 PM   #4

I believe in them. When we were camping last July 4th weekend, I decided to look at my surge supressor. As well as protecting from power surges, it tells you what the incoming voltage is and wheter it meets specs for 50amp service. I looked at it and it indicated that the incoming voltage on one leg was 115 volts and the other leg was 104 volts ( way too low). I have a class A that requires 50 amp service. Soon after I looked at the surge supressor, I started to pop circuit breakers and my Air conditioners stopped. As I said, it was July 4th weekend and very hot and humid. I told the campground about it and it turned out that they were having electrical problems and I had to change sites. I feel that the surge supressor alerted me to a problem that if I wouldn't have been aware of because of the low voltage. I could have damaged my AC's or other electrical components if I didn't know of the problems. JMHO

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote