Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2017, 08:25 AM   #1

Proflex over side windows?

I've discovered that I had a leak somewhere on the front of my rig that was allowing water to get into the fiberglass front cap. I realized this a couple weeks ago after a heavy Florida downpour. I moved the rig and parked with the nose uphill and saw that I had water running out of the bottom of the vertical vinyl trim track on the front corner of the coach body. At the time I found that the caulking at the very bottom edge of the overhead about a foot aft of the nose cap had a hairline crack in it. It made sense to me that the water could have gotten in there and the horizontal trim track would have funneled the water forward to the cap. My rig is on a Chevy chassis and sits nose low when parked on level ground. I sealed the area with Proflex and figured I was all set. The good news is that there was no water inside the coach and I can't find any dampness or spongy areas on the interior or exterior walls. But, I want to stop all this before it develops into a major problem.

The other day I noticed a very thin split in the caulking along the bottom right of the nose cap where it meets the horizontal section of the cabover forward of the windshield. I don't think the water was getting in there as it's facing towards the rear of the rig. Anyway, I took a razor blade and cleaned out an inch or so of the caulk and I got some more water dripping out of the opening.

I got up on the roof and checked all the lap sealant. Everything looked to be solid and tight. Last year I added a full tube of self leveling Dicor to both front corners on the roof where it meets the cap just to make sure it was well sealed. I pressed on all the sealant and can't find any gaps or bubbles in it. On closely inspecting the rain gutters I found a hairline crack in the caulking where the gutter ends against the coach body. I don't know if that was enough to allow water to seep in or not. I've got Eternabond tape on order from Amazon and I'm going to cover the entire top/front seam where the cap meets the roof just to play it safe.

After that bit of verbosity, my question is related to the side windows on the front overhead. It looks like there's a rubber or neoprene gasket material between the window frame the and the coach body. But, there is a slight gap - maybe 1/16th of an inch - if that - between the black aluminum window trim and the coach body. I'm thinking of using clear Proflex along the top and front edges of the window trim to seal it completely against the coach body just to make sure the water I found wasn't coming from there. Is this something that is recommended or not recommended? I know if I do it and ever have to take the window out I'll need to cut the Proflex away but I don't envision pulling the window out.
I just didn't know if it was a bad idea to seal up that small gap above the window gasket or not.

Thanks

2015 Forester 2301 - Chevy
Skip & Deb
Forester Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:30 AM   #2

Where in Florida did you get this heavy downpour? I only wish we had rain in central gulf coast area. Fires are outta sight this year.
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:36 AM   #3

East coast - Delray Beach.

2015 Forester 2301 - Chevy
Skip & Deb
Forester Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:30 AM   #4

Proflex over side windows?

Regarding water intrusion , make sure you check your marker lights . Front and back.
2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:16 PM   #5

No leaks yet but I know it is time to do my windows and the cabover cap as well. I am interested to see how Proflex works relative to other sealants on the market. And a point well made on the marker lights.

Scott
2011 Sunseeker 3170DSF
2002 Honda CR-V
"Do not mistake my benevolence for weakness."
rvrobocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:23 PM   #6
Canadian Member

I only use Proflex RV sealant on the vertical seams. Works great.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:29 PM   #7

Proflex or Sikaflex would work well for your application. They are both very good products, but the Sikaflex is a little easier to work with and makes for cleaner looking caulk joints.
BooHyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 05:55 PM   #8

I had the same problem with that window. I took it out and resealed with Butyl Putty Tape a
lexstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 05:58 PM   #9

Tape. I also used rubber gutter guards around the top and half way down the side of all outside windows. I purchased this product from Essential RV & Marine.
lexstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:08 PM   #10

Quick question regarding windows and pro flex: Would I only put the pro flex on the top and sides of the window? Or would I put it on the bottom as well?

Thanks,
Joe
joetab1977 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
window