Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2015, 03:35 PM   #1

Proper operation of slides on a motorhome

Question I have is for people that have the Forster 3171 or Sunseeker 3170. Have you had problems with your slides? Are the kitchen and bunk area the same type if slides? What is the proper way to extend and retract those slides. We have a 3171 on order and want to make sure we are operating them properly. Thx, Ben
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 05:04 PM   #2

I know the rear bunk slide is different from the front slide. The rear slide you keep the button pressed in for about 5 seconds after it is fully out or fully in. A tech told me that is to keep the motors aligned. With the front slide, keep the button pushed in until you hear the clutch kick in. You don't want to keep going with that one.
Brian217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:22 AM   #3

Our 2011 3170DS is going on it's 5th year... No problems so far. The slide types are different between the kitchen and rear bunk. I've never continued to depress the button for the rear bunk slide after it's made it's complete travel and the motors change tone. For the kitchen slide you stop once you hear the motors clutch kick in. It will become second nature to where you start to predict the end of travel for both and can release the moment it's been reached.

I'll also note, that I don't believe either slide type that's in these units have to be fully operated to the end of it's travel if you don't need it to. Of course the unit seals up better if all slides are either fully in or fully deployed. But just know if you just need to grab a change of cloths from the rear drawers you can extend the rear slide just as much as you need the retract once done. Done this many times when parked in a regular parking lot and just needed something out of one of the blocked drawers.

Last note, I use regular silicon spray lube on the slide seals, gears, & wheels a couple times a year.
Old 05-14-2015, 02:59 PM   #4

Thx funfinder5, that is some great info for a first timer.
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, slide, slide out