Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2014, 07:03 PM   #1

Smile Pros/cons to Class A entrance door?

We are starting to look for our dream Class A. We're full timers now after nearly a year of extended travel. We currently are happy in an extra lite 5th wheel, SOB, towed by Ford F-150 Ecoboost. We now plan to live this lifestyle for at least 10 more years (or more). So we've narrowed down a few must haves: We will go diesel, must have washer/dryer, king bed, dinette table for 2, entertainment center mid-way (not over the driver/passenger seats), leather interior, tile floors, split bathroom, ceiling fan in bedroom. Not too fussy!
But what we can't agree on is where the entrance door is. DH says best to be at passenger seat for more luxurious seating/living area. I just am not sure I would be comfortable with that. I heard a tragic story about it, so I am a bit jaded about it. So I want to ask the experts: members in this forum.
Pros/cons to the doors? I'd love to hear from you! We haven't selected a brand so we are totally open about it. We're not in a rush to buy and we see the market is flooded with great deals, etc.
Thanks!
Debbie
HarleyBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 09:54 PM   #2
Always Learning

The few class A campers that I've been in, I always felt a bit cramped getting in or out when the door was at the passenger seat. It could be my imagination, but I didn't care for it.

I thought the door location was a product if it was a gas engine vs. diesel pusher? Or is that just a tall tale?
Old 12-27-2014, 04:15 AM   #3

TBH, I'm not sure of that. Bill is doing the research, then shows me ones he really likes. I've noticed most have the passenger door. We're going to the Tampa RV Show in January, "just for research/education!" I hope! But I don't want a salesman to sugar coat it! I'm just leary of it. Just a gut feeling I can't explain.
Was hoping to learn from here, but maybe Forest River doesn't manufacture deisals? I'm showing my ignorance!
Thanks for responding!
Debbie
Old 12-27-2014, 07:35 AM   #4

F/R has (Diesel Units) get out of that (SOB)! Tell Bill just don't (Skimp) on the (Exit Assist Steps) if you know what I mean! Youroo!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1287.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	189.7 KB
ID:	67888  
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 08:28 AM   #5

There are only a few class A DP with the mid coach door. Many more floorplans out there with the PS door. Floorplan is the most important part of RV ownership.

Look at both, test drive both, then decide.

Just my opinion, but I would not own a mid door coach. To me it splits the coach in half.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:45 AM   #6

We have had both the mid door and now the ps door.

For camping with family and friends the mid door allow RV to be set up with you outside carpet under the awning and right at the door. Works well.

We now travel more by ourselves and like the ps door. Feels like we have more room in middle of coach.

Not sure there is a bad way. Go with whatever the wife likes. It will make life easier !!

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 11:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
F/R has (Diesel Units) get out of that (SOB)! Tell Bill just don't (Skimp) on the (Exit Assist Steps) if you know what I mean! Youroo!!
Got it!!! LOL
We don't plan to spare any expense...this will be our "home" for 10 years. So no skimping but we aren't rich!
Old 12-27-2014, 03:16 PM   #8

Thanks all! I feel better now! We'll probably go with PS now....after I try it. At least I'm open now!

Tags
door