Old 05-19-2015, 07:15 PM   #1
Question on charging the Blue Ox Patriot Brk2010

Looking at purchasing a BRK 2010 and would like to know how other go about charging the BRK 2010 battery. Talked to customer service and when I asked if a charge line from the motor home would charge the unit they replied "When you are using the Patriot while towing this would be fine to run a charge line from the motor home to run the Patriot. However, when you are charging the Patriot it would have to be charged in a car that is running to collect the charge. Otherwise the charge from the motorhome is not able to be collected in the battery." Not sure what they mean now.

rekwiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:26 PM   #2
I don't know either. You better call Blue Ox again as the answer as printed above makes absolutely no sense.
I had a Patriot that I tried keeping charged going down the road with a charge wire I ran from the coach battery to the patriot in the car. I purchased a regulator from an RV site that was supposed to constantly monitor and provide the appropriate current to keep the battery charged. Frankly, I never had much luck keeping the battery charged and often times it was "dead" after a long day of driving. I sold the HM and the towed vehicle before I figured things out!

Days camping (2015)----88 days
Days camping (2016) ---110 days
2016 Wildcat MAXX 28RKX (33' TT), 2007 13' Scamp
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi
30 years RV'ing
12 different RV's
RSchleder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:28 PM   #3
We have a Patriot. We tow a Chevy Captiva, was a Saturn Vue. There are two lighter connections, one in front of car and the other in the trunk area. It is important to plug Patriot into the rear outlet, otherwise when you disconnect the fuse to tow, the lighter plug in front is killed. Then the Patriot does not have necessary power internally to operate very long. We have never had anything "dead" at the end of very long days when connected to the active outlet in the trunk area.
Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Checkeredcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:35 PM   #4
Average Joe
We also use the Patriot and plug into a hot outlet in the toad (Explorer). Never had a dead battery after 8-10 hours. I do run the Toad 30-45 minutes before another day of towing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Joe and Karen
2014 Sunseeker 2450sf

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:37 PM   #5
Hubby ran a wire straight to battery with a plug attached just for our braking system. With our CRV after we turned off fuse we had no power for the Brake.
Frank & Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:40 PM   #6
Here's what you need

We tow a Lincoln MKX behind our MH and use the Patriot Braking system. I installed a Toad Charger (TOAD-CHARGE Dinghy Vehicle Battery Charger/Maintainer) to keep the battery on the MKX charged. Works perfectly. It charges the toad vehicle when the MH is running or when you are on shore power. You can leave it connected over-night or when not in use and it had a diode that keeps the toad from drawing any power from the MH. It was super easy to install and connecting/disconnecting to the toad vehicle is one quick electric connector.
Blackcloud7999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:49 PM   #7
I know I'm going to take flak for this, but I would not get a Patriot. Here's what happened to me (repeated from previous post):
1. Four wheel lockup on freeway. Factory said it was hard drive failure and overnighted one to my next campsite. Same thing happened, but in this case, the push arm overextended and locked in place. (The seat was adjusted forward as required.)
2. The driver's seat in my 2010 Jeep has a soft cushion and allows the Patriot to push back deeply into the cushion before the actuator rod pushes forward on the brake pedal. For $52, you can buy a backplate that prevents this to some degree.
3. The floor on the Jeep is uneven (hump at drivers heel) and allows the unit to almost tip over when actuated. Even with the addition of the adjustable legs, it still rotates about 30-40 degrees when activated.
4. Unit draws a lot of power. If you want to avoid dead batteries, charge the toad battery off the motorhome while in operation.
5. Setup and adjustment gets to be a pain after a while.
6. Finally, I suggest you watch the control arm when it activates. It moves relatively slowly and does not keep up with the application of the MH brakes.
Like others, I've gone through the trouble of installing a permanent unit built into the toad. There are a number of good ones on the market. I use an SMI Stay-In-Play, which is about $100 less than a Patriot (well-written instructions and a DVD are included to make installation easier if are a good DIYer). Now, with one simple flip of the on/off switch, I'm on the road.
2015 GT 364TSF
Vince and Charlette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 02:58 PM   #8
I pull a 2012 Jeep Liberty behind Rv and use the blue ox patriot, I use a 12v power outlet in the jeep that is powered all the time, I've towed it across 5 states in a day, towed to Destin Florida twice, I've never had a dead battery! I do agree as stated earlier, this unit has a tendency to want to tip when it's activated, I installed 2 threaded eyelets into the floorboard of jeep and secure it in place with a rubber bungee strap. Works like a champ!! Installation isn't that bad, set it on floor, hookup plug-in,adjust seat, ready to roll!!

2013 Georgetown XL 350
2002 F250 4X4 CC
2012 Jeep Liberty
Dijoeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 10:01 PM   #9
After receiving my second Patriot, which also failed, I noted one day difference in the date of the operating manuals (2/4/14 vs. 2/5/14). So, after comparing the two operating manual line by line, I discovered one added sentence, "Charge the unit for at least eight hours before initial operation"! Perhaps, this is the cause of the larger current draw experienced by some.

2015 GT 364TSF
Vince and Charlette is online now   Reply With Quote

blue ox, charging