Old 09-15-2018, 04:15 PM   #1

Question on eternabond tape

I put eternabond tape around the perimeter of my motorhome when it was new back in 2015. I didnít need to clean it up too well and remembered how well it stuck to the roof. 3 years later now I noticed some of the dicore starting to crack a little around the vents, so I went to use the leftover tape I had from doing it originally. I had it in my garage, so It does get hot and cold, but not extremes. This time I used acetone to clean the surface and it did come up very clean. The tape stuck well in some spots and not in others, so much that I had to rip it all up. I tried cleaning the area again, but still would not stick enough. Is it possible that it just isnít good anymore? It really stuck great when I first got it, but not this time.

carol108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 10:51 PM   #2

https://www.eternabond.com/articles.asp?id=206

cardwellmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 11:01 PM   #3

From what l see it has a five year shelf life, l use Acetone to clean with and Eternaprime before l place Eternabond, l have used it without Eternaprime with good success. Might be time to buy a new roll, l didn't put Eternabond around my vents, l pulled my vents and used 2 layers of Butyl tape, some areas are unlevel and one layer isn't enough, l used Dicor self leveling sealant waited a few days and placed another layer, it has been on a year and looks good. The reason l didn't put Eternabond around my vents is because of the need of being replaced, 2 roof vents and 2 sewer vents are the only seems that don't have Eternabond on them. I also removed my windows and replaced the Butyl tape with two layers of Butyl tape.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:13 PM   #4

Eternabond, and nearly all other sealants, will NOT retain adhesion to SILICONE sealants or silicone treated surfaces, or water-proof treated fabrics (for example soft-top retractable car roofs), anti-stain treated fabrics, waxes or oily surfaces, dirt or other loose elements on a surface. Waxes, oil, dirt and loose surface elements must be removed before application of Eternabond to assure long term adhesion.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:14 PM   #5

I have looked with no results on how to properly store Eternabond.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:36 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies. I may just get the dicor and use that instead of trying the tape again. I never thought about it vents need to be replaced it would be easier to remove the dicor. Thanks again!
carol108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 06:58 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardwellmarty View Post
I have looked with no results on how to properly store Eternabond.
Just sent an email to EB Tech support. I have a full sealed 25 foot roll of 4 inch tape I was planning on using with the new camper. I did order 2 10 foot pieces of 6 inch wide to seal the end caps, but will be ticked if I can't use the big roll of EB.

I will post what they say.
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Just sent an email to EB Tech support. I have a full sealed 25 foot roll of 4 inch tape I was planning on using with the new camper. I did order 2 10 foot pieces of 6 inch wide to seal the end caps, but will be ticked if I can't use the big roll of EB.

I will post what they say.
Thanks, that will be good information for all of us.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by carol108 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I may just get the dicor and use that instead of trying the tape again. I never thought about it vents need to be replaced it would be easier to remove the dicor. Thanks again!
Has there only been Dicor used on you vent, still makes me wonder why the Eternabond would not stick, maybe silicone has been used in the past, if so it will need to be scrapped off and cleaned with Acetone really good before placing new Dicor or it want stick.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:29 AM   #10

Is it possible that Gorilla or Flex tape is as good as Eternabond ???

Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eternabond