Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2015, 05:27 PM   #1

Questions for folks using 2012 focus 4 a toad

Ok just got a Ford Focus for a toad. What set up are any other focus toad folks using . Mainly interested in brake systems such as ready brake. Also anyone has other issues with the Focus? Hope I did not make a mistake!
rekwiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 11:25 PM   #2
7 Year Class A RV'er

Check this out: http://www.etrailer.com/question-67349.html

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:56 AM   #3
7 Year Class A RV'er

Sorry - I failed to notice you indicated a 2012 model. Here's the correct link: http://www.etrailer.com/question-37829.html

Old 05-31-2015, 03:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
Sorry - I failed to notice you indicated a 2012 model. Here's the correct link: http://www.etrailer.com/question-37829.html

Hey thanks for the info! How is this working out for you?
Old 05-31-2015, 08:28 PM   #5
7 Year Class A RV'er

I just did a search when I saw your inquiry; I don't gave a Focus. ETrailer is a great resource for info, hard to find items, etc. I did, however, just start flat towing and we're currently on our first trip with the new Legacy. With our old RV, I pulled a car hauler with a 2010 Tacoma double cab on several trips. Had a really nice Featherlite car hauler. It was OK, but always had to find extra long pull thru spots. Sold that and got a 2014 Wrangler Unlimited. I went with the Blue Ox base plate and a Blue Ox Adventa 10,000 lb tow bar. More than I needed, but liked the features. For braking, I got the Invisibrake. Some friends gave one they swore by and after this first trip I can understand why. It's permanently installed (mine's under the front seat). It triggers when the MH brake lights come on. Really works great. For lights, I didn't use the kit that came with the Blue Ox accessory kit (bulbs, sockets, diodes, wire, etc). That kit required drilling a new hole into the tail light and installing the new bulb and socket. A little pricey (like $195), but I went with the Blue Ox wiring harness. You just unplug the wiring harness from each taillight and plug the new harness in between. Instead of diodes, there is a small computer module that gets installed somewhere out of the way, then the harness goes to the front of the vehicle. I also got the Blue Ox KarGard II to protect the Jeep while towing. I got much better pricing through Amazon and free shipping with Prime. A mechanic buddy of mine did the whole install in about 6 hours for about 1/3 of what Camping World wanted (and I can trust him!). Good luck - yell if other questions.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:36 AM   #6
N7FN

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekwiat View Post
Ok just got a Ford Focus for a toad. What set up are any other focus toad folks using . Mainly interested in brake systems such as ready brake. Also anyone has other issues with the Focus? Hope I did not make a mistake!
I have been towing a 2012 Ford Focus for the past 4 years behind my Reflection 326. The first one burned to the ground in the middle of the Nevada desert in 2012. The second identical 2012 Ford Focus has been no trouble towing since then. I use a Roadmaster All Terrain tow set-up made just across the Columbia River in Vancouver, Washington. They installed the brackets on the second Focus because Ford changed their Focus frame configuration between early 2012 and later in the production run. Consequently, Roadmaster changed their installation instructions. No charge.

The brakes in the Reflection are air over hydraulic so I use an air cylinder made by Roadmaster to operate the brakes in the Focus.

If you are a mechanic, the complete tow equipment installation on the Focus should take between 4 to 6 hours.

If you are not mechanically inclined, let a mechanic do the work.

No, you did not make a mistake.

Let me know if you need more information.

Frank
Frank_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:05 AM   #7

Our experience was somewhat different. Between 4/12 and 7/14 the transmission developed a slip/shudder on 3 occasions in our Red Ford Focus. Each time the shop ( three different locations) connected a computer and made a ok adjustment (bands tighten?) when allowed to go, the slip would worsen and I was told more serious damage could result if left unrepaired. Shortly thereafter Ford/Mazda removed this vehicle from the approved flat tow list in 2014 or 2015, and others with same trans. If you have one, keep it inspected and adjusted under the power train warranty.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:54 PM   #8

Ford Battery

Kind of late getting into this one. I'm a Ford guy Towed an Edge and Now I tow a C-MAX. Same Problem with both--toad battery dead when arriving at destination. Both are towed with tranny in neutral. If you dig deep enough into the owners manual you'll find a warning to not leave the transmission in neutral when parked because it could drain the battery. You're supposed to start the car every time you stop for gas. That could be five or more hours---too late it will be dead. Solved the problem with the Edge by carrying a portable charger (Harbor Freight , $40). Better solution with the C-MAX Swapped out the the standard female connection to a six pin so I could hit the hot wire on the seven pin on the MH and bring it into the C_MAX and attach it to the battery. MH now keeps the toad battery charged during travel. No more problems.
milvet33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:59 PM   #9

Thanks folks for all of your replies.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:03 AM   #10

Just would like to ask ,I have a 2010 ford focus fwd,w/auto trans , can I tow this with a tow dolly ,behind my motor home?
Ronman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronman View Post
Just would like to ask ,I have a 2010 ford focus fwd,w/auto trans , can I tow this with a tow dolly ,behind my motor home?
If fwd refers to front wheel drive I see no reason you wouldn't be able to dolly tow. Rear wheels aren't connected to the tranny. If fwd refers to four wheel drive the answer would be maybe. If you can put the transfer case into neutral it should be no problem for a dolly tow or four wheels on the ground tow. Usually a manual transfer case will work, don't know about shift on the fly type. Best source for answer is the owners manual.
milvet33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronman View Post
Much better off flat towing if the 10 model is rated for it. I'm fairly certain '13 and '12 were. Just have to aware of nessary adjustments by dealer if shudders occur.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:36 PM   #13
7 Year Class A RV'er

I checked the Family Motor Coach Association guides for towing (best resource I've found) and they show the 2010 Focus as flat towable ONLY with standard transmission, not automatic. Looks like you're stuck with the dolly.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:49 AM   #14

We just bought a 2014 Focus to tow behind our Georgetown, weighs just under 3,000 lbs. There are a lot of negative posts about the Focus transmission, but we have no real problem with the double clutching that does occur during its re-learning period. We did find a video posted on line where a repair man wearing a Ford repair shirt was giving a test drive of how he makes the problem a lot less noticeable. Not sure if it is for real, but we will get to that shortly.

We went the Master Brake route for the conversion including their Even Brake controller. Again, we will get to that also.

The Ford Focus is flat towable because their 6 speed automatic front wheel drive transmission is actually their 6 speed manual transmission with a computer control shifting system that controls the manual clutches. A strange way to do it, but great for gas mileage. It does have trouble when you first get your car in learning your driving habits so it can clutch right for you. This is the major source of complaints about the Focus. The video mentioned above is a mechanic taking the Focus on an open road and gunning it through the first few gear shifts from a standing start. It gets the transmission used to holding the gears longer instead of changing gears at too low a speed and therefore double clutching too often.

The key to the Focus being flat towable is that you can trick the computer into keeping the transmission completely in neutral. The computer constantly senses road speed, engine speed, and transmission settings, and then adjusts the clutches as needed. The trick is to put the transmission in a neutral start where the dash literally says “Transmission Ready”, and then disconnect the negative battery cable so the computer can’t change things while you are driving.

This is where the Master Brake problem occurred for us. When they installed the Even Brake system it required the installation of an auxiliary power outlet so you could plug it in during the install process. They made a mistake and attacked the power outlet to the metal frame which caused the battery disconnect to the bypassed. The easy way to test this is to go through the set up process and try to blow the car horn. Ours blew when we tested it, they found the issue and remounted the power outlet to the plastic covering next to the driver’s leg and all works great now. We use the try to blow your horn thing as a final test when we flat tow now.

The cost of set up was way higher than we would have liked, close to $4,500, but worth every penny to us. Have flat towed it hundreds of miles now and you don’t even know it is there.
Sandy and Shirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:58 PM   #15

Don't be disappointed to learn the Ford Focus isn't really an American flag. See the quip from Motor Trend. Focus has always been a Mazda .

you've*read on Wide Open Throttle, the sale of Mazda stock will not affect deals between Ford and Mazda. They share Mazda's B-car platform in the Mazda2 and*Ford Fiesta. Now Mazda can decide, on its own, whether it wants to import the 2 for sale in North America. They also share a platform in the Mazda3 and global*Ford Focus, which means the*Volvo C30*and S40/V50 as well, and the Mazda6 is the basis for a host of midsize Fords, from the Fusion/Milan/MKZ to the Edge and MKX. Finally, North American-market front-drive Mazda6s are built in the same Flat Rock, Michigan, factory as the rear-drive*Ford Mustang.

Read more:*http:/ nd.com/ford-sets-mazda-free-2126.html#ixzz3jyov45Ox /blogs.motortre

Focus is no longer approved for flat towing, why? Too many warranty repairs. Keep an eye on it!
Old 08-27-2015, 08:04 AM   #16

Thanks Vince, I will keep an eye on it. Hope I'm not doing wishful thinking, but at least my owner's manual does state that it can be flat towed. Not sure of the legal issues if Ford later tries to say it will not support the warranty if the owner does what the car was advertized to do at purchase time!
Sandy and Shirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:36 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Don't be disappointed to learn the Ford Focus isn't really an American flag. See the quip from Motor Trend. Focus has always been a Mazda .

you've*read on Wide Open Throttle, the sale of Mazda stock will not affect deals between Ford and Mazda. They share Mazda's B-car platform in the Mazda2 and*Ford Fiesta. Now Mazda can decide, on its own, whether it wants to import the 2 for sale in North America. They also share a platform in the Mazda3 and global*Ford Focus, which means the*Volvo C30*and S40/V50 as well, and the Mazda6 is the basis for a host of midsize Fords, from the Fusion/Milan/MKZ to the Edge and MKX. Finally, North American-market front-drive Mazda6s are built in the same Flat Rock, Michigan, factory as the rear-drive*Ford Mustang.

Read more:*http:/ nd.com/ford-sets-mazda-free-2126.html#ixzz3jyov45Ox /blogs.motortre

Focus is no longer approved for flat towing, why? Too many warranty repairs. Keep an eye on it!

Vince are you referring to 2016 Ford Focus or all Ford Focus? Where did you see that information?
Old 08-27-2015, 08:47 AM   #18

No legal issue I was Never sent any notice. Only issue is keep it adjusted by a bona-fide Ford shop (on a electronic analyzer ), cannot be performed any other way. If it acts up, slipping, shudders etc. take it in. Wait too long damage will result, adjustment is free. See my post 7 above. It's still a toad until major repairs must be performed and Ford declares then new tranny, no toad. Other than trans is a great towed car.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:01 AM   #19
clr

I picked up a 2015 Ford towing guide at the Frog rally. It says that the 2015 Focus (all except the ST and Electric are flat towable with either a manual or automatic transmission. With the automatic you have to turn key on prior to shifting into neutral and max tow speed is 70MPH.
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 01:02 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekwiat View Post
Vince are you referring to 2016 Ford Focus or all Ford Focus? Where did you see that information?
It's a Motor Trend magazine article, not sure 2016 Focus was included, or available yet.

Tags
2012, toad