Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2015, 10:12 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
Quick start guide for Motorhome use

My in-laws are borrowing our motorhome for a week and I started to put together a "quick" guide.

Any feedback on what to add or how to improve it would be appreciated.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3H...ew?usp=sharing

Thanks,

Bill
=================================
https://anunbalancedbalance.blogspot.com/
NoviBill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 04:03 PM   #2

does your TV antenna crank up/down?
Old 10-11-2015, 06:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiter21 View Post
does your TV antenna crank up/down?
No, in the Lexington 255 DS antenna is fixed. It does have an on/off switch that runs (I think) off of the truck battery.

-Bill
Old 10-11-2015, 07:14 PM   #4

You should copyright that. It looks very thorough, maybe someone(s) on the forum may want to add features or correct some wording (looks good to me) but very good info if they read it.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 11:42 AM   #5
Dahagen

Very good list. However on my motorhome the slides will NOT work if the engine is running.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:52 PM   #6

Hot Water Hater!! That's exactly how I feel about mine sometimes.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon455 View Post
Hot Water Hater!! That's exactly how I feel about mine sometimes.
I can't spell and can't type
Old 10-12-2015, 09:55 PM   #8

Overall, this is a very good guide, but I do have a few suggestions. Here is what I found in a quick read through:

- When talking about fresh water and the water pump, you might want to suggest they turn off the city water if they plan to leave the MH for any length of time. They wouldn't want to return to a flooded unit.

- If you keep your manuals in your MH, you may want to refer to them in case your parents need more information.

- Tell them to put the awning back in if the winds are gusting above a certain level.

- You tell them the toilet is water efficient, but they might need to know to fill the bowl before use, and then to flush for xx seconds to allow extra water into the tank (if that is your practice.)

- You gave then height and width of your unit, but not the length. They may need to know the actual length from bumper to bumper; otherwise, they could end up with too short a camp site.

- Give a brief overview of each key on the ring you give them ... engine, house, storage units, etc.

I'm making an assumption that you will be giving them a quick walk-through. Do another one yourself to see if you might have missed anything, like maybe a warning to use care when opening the fridge, cabinets, and drawers because things shift in movement. You did a really good job at the end telling them which storage bays for water and sewage, but you just said storage for things like levels.

- Water heater. You might want to specify the capacity and approximate time it takes to empty the tank (Short shower to you may not mean the same thing to your mom.)

-- Power. Do you have a surge protector, or a circuit checker? If so, mention them and stress the need to use them.

Also, not to be too picky (OK, I am picky, but I used to edit for a living) ...Run your document through a spell checker. You have several instances of "drivers", but omitted the apostrophe to make it possessive. You wrote Water Hater (Heater), in at least two instances, you wrote batter instead of battery. I think that in step 4 of stopping for the night, you may have meant "hose" and not "house"

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 11:49 PM   #9

This is a very nice set of instructions. I did not see anything about checking to make sure the AWNING is retracted before moving the motorhome. We also use a out door mat with ours. I roll up and stow mat and retract awning at the same time.
Fkaske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 12:00 PM   #10

I'd add a caution to closely follow warning speed limit signs at curves. RVs have a higher center of balance than a car and should follow the truck recommended speeds on curves.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 12:17 PM   #11

The fridge being within 3 degrees or it will blow up seems a little extreme. Not literally blow up but the mention of the boiler bursting. Is this a thing? I heard older fridges were susceptible but not newer models like show in the pictures of the guide.

We're newer RV owners and are still getting comfortable with everything but i've ran the fridge overnight several times on the front street with a tilt (not sure if > 3 deg) and we've never had issues.

Any comments on the fridges only running on level?
knockando is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome