Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2018, 06:58 PM   #1

RV campsite space holder

Newbie question here: We have a class C without any toad so when we go out to sightsee we must take the class C. I'm concerned that someone will take our campsite while we are out sightseeing. What is a good method to show that the spot is taken?

Thanks!
125992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:05 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 125992 View Post
Newbie question here: We have a class C without any toad so when we go out to sightsee we must take the class C. I'm concerned that someone will take our campsite while we are out sightseeing. What is a good method to show that the spot is taken?

Thanks!
A couple of folding chairs and a beach towel? A picnic table where the coach sits? A sign saying [B]I'LL BE BACAren't

Arn't site assigned at check in?
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
A couple of folding chairs and a beach towel? A picnic table where the coach sits? A sign saying [B]I'LL BE BACAren't

Arn't site assigned at check in?
Thanks for the response. I thought some public campgrounds are first come first serve, so I didn't want to return and find someone in our spot. Not a real big problem unless there are no other spots available.
125992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:29 PM   #4

We got a 'campsite occupied' sign but have never had to use it.

We put up a couple of folding chairs near the entrance which seems to be a universal sign that the site is occupied. We usually leave the electric cord locked to the power post and usually just unhook the water line and leave it connected to the faucet. I guess it could get stolen, but we've never had a problem (knock on wood). When we get back, it's simple to reconnect to the coach.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:30 PM   #5

At least every public camp I’ve been too. When you pay there is a thing to hang on the post that marks the site saying it’s been paid for and who paid for it
Old 05-09-2018, 06:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmkjr72 View Post
At least every public camp I’ve been too. When you pay there is a thing to hang on the post that marks the site saying it’s been paid for and who paid for it
...and I might add, how long it's paid through. I've always referred the "thing" as a camping permit. Walk-in sites are first come, first served. Majority of SP sites are reservable through Reserve America.com
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:11 AM   #7

Cheap pup tent from Walmart. That way no one will think you just drove off and left your chairs.
Librarianocnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:36 AM   #8

Most of the State Parks in Georgia are first come first served. However, they do issue you the little tag to put on the site marker post and most people leave a couple of things in the site to show they are coming back. I have never heard of or seen anyone move the items or take them.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:51 AM   #9

no campground is going to allow someone to 'steal' your site, if you already PAID for it. If you are at a place that allows for 'pick your own site', then they will provide you a receipt/marker to put on the post in front of the site.

no worries. site 'stealers' are very, very rare : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 01:33 PM   #10

Here in Ontario each provincial park issues you a permit that you affix to the holder at the front of the site. It clearly shows your departure date. Sites are electric only so no hoses to unhook. We just unplug and drive away. Everything stays in the campsite. In over 40 years we have never had anything touched. We've done the same in Georgia New York State and Florida with the same outcome.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 02:25 PM   #11
Crazy Dog Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
We got a 'campsite occupied' sign but have never had to use it.

We put up a couple of folding chairs near the entrance which seems to be a universal sign that the site is occupied.
Friends of ours with a class B came back to the campsite to find their chairs missing. I would go with the "Campsite Occupied" sign. It's cheaper.
Old 05-09-2018, 02:46 PM   #12

Ask those in charge of the campsite. Having a sign not a bad idea
twoclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 02:54 PM   #13
Censored Member

Buy three of those fake plastic vomits and three fake dog poops and place them in highly visible locations at your campsite. No one will take your site while you’re gone.
ManlyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 03:19 PM   #14

As a camper who has a TT and not a motorized coach, I have run into instances several times where a campsite appeared to be unoccupied, the rest of the campground was full and after starting to set up, have the camper in the site return in a class A or C motor coach. I think it is a really good idea to put something out on the picnic table, in the driveway (a sign, a lawn chair, a storage tub, whatever), etc. which could indicate the site is not vacant. Not all campgrounds have a ranger or a host and can be first come, first served. It makes it easier on someone incoming to the campground if it is highly visible that a site is occupied, even if there is no coach there at the moment. Just my 2 cents.
"Know yourself, know your world. Change it." Anonymous
kittlecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 03:35 PM   #15
Site Team

Crime scene tape:

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 03:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarianocnj View Post
Cheap pup tent from Walmart. That way no one will think you just drove off and left your chairs.
Genius
n0ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 04:11 PM   #17

Firewood taken at Yellowstone

I don't remember if the Yellowstone campground gave us a card to post for our site, but one day leaving in a class c for the day to site see (we didn't leave chairs--didn't want them stolen). Upon returning, our firewood stash was taken. I think it was do to scavengers who thought we had left for good or checked out early. I think an occupied sign would be a good idea.
Carolohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 04:43 PM   #18

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Click image for larger version

Name:	contamination-area-warning-sign-options-1mm-semi-rigid-pvc-options-size-300x400mm-11144-p.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	171299

This will keep them away!

Click image for larger version

Name:	WSEO_300-500x500.gif
Views:	327
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	171301

Even Better!
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:27 PM   #19

We were camped st a New Mexico State Campground many years ago and had to take our RV into the nearby town for a 2 hour repair. Came back to find our place holder folding chairs and sign gone and the site occupied. Our firewood was gone as well. We found an open site and located a ranger who said that was a pretty common occurrence. Found the chairs in a nearby stream that is used for trout fishing. Weird. This is why we have a travel trailer and tow vehicle for sightseeing/running errands. The trailer stays in the space with everything secured and the hitch locked. We now camp in regular RV parks while in New Mexico and have never had any issues at all.

elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:33 PM   #20

re

Just rent a cheap economy car from Enterprise. they pick you up and drop you off. That's what I did before we had a toad.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote