Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2014, 05:40 AM   #1

RV GPS

Do you use yours ?
Frank & Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:23 PM   #2

Turn it on but on my 2015 it is already outdated for some roads. Google maps on phone works better for me.
mark10361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:38 PM   #3

Yes I do use mine but sometimes it screws me up. You can not totally rely on them.
Ditchdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:51 PM   #4

Recently purchased a Garmin RV GPS. Have not used it to travel with RV but used it in the car in RV mode to try out. I love all the added features to locate gas, restaurants, campgrounds and more. What I am not sure I like is that it seems to want to keep you on major highways and will route you out of the way to do so. Hoping I can tweak the RV info to limit this re-routing. Good thing is, you can easily switch from car to Rv mode and vise-versa. When you switch, so does your routing.

If anyone has any experience with this GPS and has suggestions to limit the re-routing, please speak up.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx View Post
Recently purchased a Garmin RV GPS. Have not used it to travel with RV but used it in the car in RV mode to try out. I love all the added features to locate gas, restaurants, campgrounds and more. What I am not sure I like is that it seems to want to keep you on major highways and will route you out of the way to do so. Hoping I can tweak the RV info to limit this re-routing. Good thing is, you can easily switch from car to Rv mode and vise-versa. When you switch, so does your routing.

If anyone has any experience with this GPS and has suggestions to limit the re-routing, please speak up.
That is what mine does, but one time it routed me to a low over pass and I am 13.5' luckly I was able to turn around.
Ditchdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:05 PM   #6

Have a Rand McNally RVND-7720, use it on every trip with or without the camper. Google maps are OK, but won't route you around low bridges, tunnels, toll-roads etc. Plus I like the 7" display and turn by turn instructions. Yes, it sometimes gets lost or can't find a CG but that has only happened a couple of times in the last two years.
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchdigger View Post
That is what mine does, but one time it routed me to a low over pass and I am 13.5' luckly I was able to turn around.
Do you have your height programmed in? Its also possible that the information on that particular low clearance is not in there. There is a 10' 10" railway underpass on Front St. in Olean NY that several well-regarded 'low clearance' apps don't have. Not sure whether my Garmin RV760 has it - I haven't traveled that route since I've had it and there doesn't seem to be an app to explore the database for that info.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 12:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx View Post
You probably need to go into the menus and tweak your Settings > Navigation > Avoidances.

It has a very literal interpretation of the avoidances. On the return leg of my last trip from Canada to the U.S., it wanted to add 1000km and 10 hours to my trip to avoid the $6 bridge toll going back into Canada at Fort Erie (there is no toll there from Canada to the U.S.). Once I turned off 'Tolls and Fees', it got it right. You could see it thinking when calculating the route... it zipped up to about 89% and then paused for a long time until it found the 'free' bridge all the way around the other end of Lake Ontario. It didn't care that the 'free' route would have cost at least $200 more in fuel.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 12:15 PM   #9

I use my Garmin Rv Gps all the time.... It does route you out of the way sometimes... But I usually start to re route and it picks up immediately.. As mentioned check your settings...
Old 10-18-2014, 12:32 PM   #10

I use my built-in (Magnadyne) GPS. I always check the route with either a paper map or Google maps to see if there are any major differences--just to avoid surprises. Its not the best GPS on the market but it has served me well.

2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy
Old 10-26-2014, 10:17 AM   #11

I haves Rand McNally 7710 and really hated the thing. I had a bad cord that blew every fuse when I plugged it in. I was about to toss it but called costumer service. They are great and sent me a new cord and after I explained why I hated the 7710 he had me do a firm ware update and gave me lifetime map updates for free for all my troubles. It made a huge difference and other than washing out a bit in sunlight it's what I use on every trip. I like it a lot. As back up I use my phone with the app "Waze". It does not have a RV function but it's a nice free GPS app.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 01:17 AM   #12
Yvonthe1

Well I have the magnadyne in my 2014 3170DS and find it useless. The way it sit straight in the dash cant see it properly while driving, and worst during daytime, the glare on the screen, not well thought out.
And trying to use well it create more a hazard while driving, because your eyes are taken from the road to look down on it.
so I use my TomTom setup within the field of vision, much safer.

Yvonthe1 Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
yvonthe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:58 AM   #13

Tried our Rand McNally for the first time this trip. Love that it tells of steep hills and curves. Have not encountered a bridge warning ( good thing ). Pleased so far !
Frank & Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:45 AM   #14

Use our Rand McNally constantly....saves me from having to stay glued to map or app to monitor progress and directions.
new to us RV owners April 2012
2012- 100+ days camping + Panama cruise
2013- 60 nights in our RV so far (as of Aug 1)
cllecr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 12:27 AM   #15

I recently purchased the Good Sam/Rand McNally GPS from Camping World in Little Rock, AT and so far I am not happy with the GPS mapping part. Two out of the there times used the picture and destination did not match. The GPS said we were at such and such address, but the map on the screen and the location of the RV were not at that address. Haven't figured out the firmware update possibilities yet. It apparently doesn't offer any updates connected to wifi. Features/tools like keeping up Southfield and main fence costs look NEAT but the basic GPS has to work or its going back pronto.
kb5sej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:00 AM   #16

I use gps copilot on my I phone.😄 you can set it Rv and you can add stops. Love it.
gmann32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:35 AM   #17

I use a Magellan Roadmate and love it.... It has the same features that truckers use - can set height, width and length of coach and it keeps me off roads that can cause me problems.... I use it constantly.....

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:58 PM   #18

Garmin RV 7 something is what I have. I keep it up to date as the updates are free. I have it linked to my phone via Bluetooth for additional data like enhanced traffic and actual weather. Yes my GPS will show a moving radar image and warn of snow, ice and freezing conditions. I can give it voice commands and it has about a90% success rate versus the system in my brand new Ford transit connect. Have not had many problems with it in our travels.

Hth.
carlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:00 PM   #19

Does anyone know if the Garmin RV760LMT has a setting for propane? I have a few tunnels in my neck of the country that propane is not allowed.
Nights camped 2012 = 48, Nights camped 2013 = 46, Nights camped 2014 = 47, Nights camped 2015 = 49, Nights camped 2016 = 48, Nights camped 2017 = 51,
Nights camped 2018 = 50
donzie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:01 PM   #20
TGR

No, there is no propane setting.