Old 12-27-2012, 12:16 AM   #11

As a tech in cable industry and a full timer I understand the frustration cable customers go thru when changes occur. Comcast was one of the first ISP's to go all digital across the spectrum eliminating the analog portion of their video services. They like the company I work for are requiring our analog video customers to have a digital adapter on every TV, unless they already have one of our converter boxes. This trend will continue across the country in order for cable companies to reclaim the analog spectrum for more digital services such as docsis 3.1 and more on demand programming. I hope this helps. Merry Christmas!

Old 12-27-2012, 11:03 AM   #12
Anacortesians

As I understand it, Comcast's digital signal isn't even compatible with current models of digital TV sets, requiring everyone to have a set-top converter. I think this action was misuse of monopoly power, particularly if the cable company's service is the only way to get a TV signal. We live in an "RF black hole". With a roof-top antenna, we can only get one TV channel from the Seattle area stations (about 90 miles away), none of the Vancouver (80 miles) or Victoria (70 miles) channels or even the Bellingham station (50miles).

Even FM radio is messy. When I was a transit driver, I couldn't talk to our dispatcher once I came down the hill into our neoghborhood.

We're seriously considering giving up TV altogether, as we only watch the morning and evening news shows and PBS. We've already decided not to pursue a system for the RV.

Can anyone identify currently on-sale digital TVs whose tuners can handle the various cable companies' signals without a set-top converter?

Old 12-27-2012, 01:19 PM   #13

It's not a compatibility issue with your TV and Comcast, rather its because Comcast no longer has unscrambled analog service. The required use of a digital adapter is a method used to prevent cable theft and free up much needed spectrum for other digital products. The days of open, unsecured cable is almost over. It's really not a " monopoly" rather a necessity. So any TV you have is fine, no need to buy another one.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:58 PM   #14
Anacortesians

Sorry, cableguy, but cable service is a monopoly in Washington State. Only one cable company can service a particular area. For example, I couldn't say I don't like Comcast and would rather have Frontier. Of course, if you want to put up with the incredibly complicated programming of the two satellite providers, you do have an alternative.

I would like to get a TV set that could receive cable without having to use two different remote controls for each set, like we do now. I'd also like to put a digital TV in the RV that would work anywhere in the US and Canada without having to put up with the set-top box Mickey Mouse.

Are there any digital TV manufacturers whose built-in tuners can handle all the digital cable systems around the country? If the CG owners have to provide set-top boxes to every visitor and police the return of the boxes when a guest departs, it's a hell of an additional workload.

I would anticipate, when the full extent of this debacle becomes more widely known among RVers, the cable companies will catch a major cold and the satellite guys will be smiling. In our situation, we'll just quit watching TV while we're on the road. We sure don't need either the additional cost or the complication of satellite. Neighbors signed up with the Dish network. It was such a hassle trying to figure out, from the 45-page weekly guide what was on at any given time on our local stations, that they gave up after a month and had the system removed.

We can get most of the information and news we need from internet connection. The cable companies can go play with themselves!

We're stuck with Comcast as our TV provider at the house, and they have a fairly good price on a bundled TV, ISP and land-line phone (though it has more than doubled in price since we signed up three years ago). Breaking it into individual parts from different providers would probably end up costing more and having lower performance.

Definitely NOT a happy customer, and pissed off that I don't have a reasonably priced alternative.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:02 AM   #15
Site Team - Lou

It is considered a monopoly only if you have no other choices.
If satellite, over the air, or no TV are available choices.

A monopoly is needing a car to go to work and having only 1 brand of gas and 1 gas station to buy it.

They broke up AT&T for example because it was a required service for emergency response and there was no other means (at the time) to provide it.
Not being able to call grandma would not have done it.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:10 AM   #16

Turned off antenna booster and my park cable works too. This forum is awesome! I have a coaxial plug marked satellite/aux and another one with black backing plate on my xlr 380amp, does anyone know what the coaxial with black plate by living room tv could be for?
Old 07-25-2016, 11:45 AM   #17
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4xx View Post
Turned off antenna booster and my park cable works too. This forum is awesome! I have a coaxial plug marked satellite/aux and another one with black backing plate on my xlr 380amp, does anyone know what the coaxial with black plate by living room tv could be for?
A photo might help.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 07-26-2016, 11:46 AM   #18

Here's a photo of what our connection looks like in living room area of xlr 380amp
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1469547913659.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	115329  
Old 07-26-2016, 03:40 PM   #19
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4xx View Post
Here's a photo of what our connection looks like in living room area of xlr 380amp
The top connection is "home run" wired to a similar connection on the outside wall of your camper. It is used to feed the satellite signal from a portable dish to the satellite receiver inside the camper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Winegard wall plate rear.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	115381   Click image for larger version

Name:	CBL and SAT cover closed.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	115383   Click image for larger version

Name:	CBL and SAT inputs.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	211.2 KB
ID:	115384  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Winegard Wall PLate Amp.pdf (143.1 KB, 9 views)

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW