Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2018, 01:51 AM   #41

I’ll be very honest here. I’m lazy. I have a motorhome because I like to press one button and the entire rig is leveled and I am on beer number three while my friends are backing into their spot for the third time to straighten out the trailer and the other friends are still trying to level their trailer.

I purchased a Directv Traveler for two reasons. First reason is because I press a button and it finds the satellites in the sky for me. No fussing with an app to try and point the dish in the right direction. Reason two is that I have Directv at home and I want my TV channels in HD and the only Directv satellite dish option for HD video quality is the Traveler.

Call me a diva. Pricey option... but those were my requirements that had to be met.
alexchuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:53 AM   #42

X2. I have Dish Traveler, but ditto on your thoughts. Granted $1,200 was a lot of dough, but after what I spent on the RV, it's not that bad relatively speaking. Press a button and I'm good to go. I simply call Dish, give them my zip code where I am, and presto, local channels along with my satellite channels.
Rusty
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:32 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Do you have a picture of your setup? I’d be interested in learning how to setup a portable, open dish on a tripod on uneven ground in under 2 minutes! I definitely can’t do it that quickly.
I may be 'out of place' in a motorhome thread, so I'll take a picture later and PM it to you (Can you do that?).

I had a tripod and it took forever to set up. Then I did two things. I got a tripod that is adjustable from tv4rv.com. That and a .50 bubble level and I'm level to start with. That turned out to be 1/2 the game. Plus, it's the only tripod I found that each leg is independently adjustable. Then I homemade me a big honkin' spike to drive directly under it, in the ground, and ratchet strap the dish to it. E.G., it's been in one place since Dec 27, with storms, and high winds, and it hasn't moved yet.

Then, thanks to a member on here that has helped me, I got a Satlook meter from the same tv4rv.com place (very helpful). It finds the satellite, bam.

As to the one who said the Travl'r is the only dish that gets Direct HD, it's not. It's the only automatic dish that gets Direct HD. But I get HD or I wouldn't have a dish.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:54 AM   #44

i'll add a comment. disclaimer, I only have experience with direct tv. when we bought the trailer the dealer offered an incentive to install a traveler antenna on the roof. we picked up the trailer and some time later called direct tv to order the required receiver and get it installed. I clearly told them it was to be installed in the trailer. when the technician showed up he saw the trailer and said direct tv will not install or support equipment in a trailer or motorhome. he left and did not do the install. I ended up calling a local independent rv satellite company who ordered the same equipment and installed it. I had a problem one time and I called the direct tv support line. when they determined it was in a trailer / motorhome they basically stopped the support call. I have been to a couple of rv shows where there is a direct tv booth trying to sell their services. if you talk to them they will turn out to be independent rv satellite companies and they also so that direct tv does not support rv's. I do not know if dish has a similar policy.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:05 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
direct tv does not support rv's. I do not know if dish has a similar policy.
Dish has an actual RV Tech Support group that we have talked to a few times. They also have RV pay as you go program and will change your local channels spot beam to wherever you are in your RV.

I also know that Direct does support RV applications as several of our friends use Direct and get support when we are on trips together.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:51 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Dish has an actual RV Tech Support group that we have talked to a few times. They also have RV pay as you go program and will change your local channels spot beam to wherever you are in your RV.

I also know that Direct does support RV applications as several of our friends use Direct and get support when we are on trips together.

Actually no. Directv does not support other manufacturers equipment nor install its equipment (dishes or switches) on an RV. They will support their box but nothing beyond the box because the box is theirs. But if you are having issues with your box, be prepared for them to ask you to troubleshoot the issue by hooking it up to your dish at home.
alexchuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:29 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexchuang View Post
Actually no. Directv does not support other manufacturers equipment nor install its equipment (dishes or switches) on an RV. They will support their box but nothing beyond the box because the box is theirs.
So, actually yes, Direct does support its own equipment in an RV. They have assisted my friends several times while on RV trips. Perhaps you don't ask nicely enough
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:41 PM   #48
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
I may be 'out of place' in a motorhome thread, so I'll take a picture later and PM it to you (Can you do that?).

I had a tripod and it took forever to set up. Then I did two things. I got a tripod that is adjustable from tv4rv.com. That and a .50 bubble level and I'm level to start with. That turned out to be 1/2 the game. Plus, it's the only tripod I found that each leg is independently adjustable. Then I homemade me a big honkin' spike to drive directly under it, in the ground, and ratchet strap the dish to it. E.G., it's been in one place since Dec 27, with storms, and high winds, and it hasn't moved yet.

Then, thanks to a member on here that has helped me, I got a Satlook meter from the same tv4rv.com place (very helpful). It finds the satellite, bam.

As to the one who said the Travl'r is the only dish that gets Direct HD, it's not. It's the only automatic dish that gets Direct HD. But I get HD or I wouldn't have a dish.
Thanks. I doubt it would be a problem to post a picture of your set here. You can use a tripod setup for a MH, too.

I checked out tv4rv.com. Did you get just their HD tripod of a combo package?
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:30 PM   #49

I have called Direct often from RV, established same on the call, and had no issues at all.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lite, satellite