Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2018, 12:05 AM   #1

RVI Brake 3

Hi All,

I知 looking to purchase a 2013 Honda CRV as a Toad and I知 assuming I need to add a Aux Brake system. I was just looking at the videos for the RVI Brake 3 system and it looks dead simple to install and use. Anyone have experience or an opinion about this system or others? Any guidance would be much appreciated!
EricNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 09:16 AM   #2

We have/use the RVI2. Have had it for 5 trouble free years now. RVI3 seems an upgrade to the #2, but mine keeps giving us great service...no need to replace.
I believe the #3 set up is the same as the #2, and if so, it takes a matter of 30 seconds to place the unit in the toad, run a systems check, and your ready to go, and 15 seconds to remove it.
My 2 cents...lightest, smallest, easiest in and out floor unit out there.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 01:12 PM   #3

I use a Blue Ox Patriot, which is a similar system, so I can't say anything about the RVI brake system. I am just chiming in to recommend you run the car for a bit in the middle of long travel days to make sure you don't kill the battery. My CR-V battery did die and had to be replaced, though I actually suspect it was a bad batch from Advance Auto. I know a couple other people who had their Advance Auto die within a year or two and they don't tow their cars. But just to be sure, I start the car and let it idle for 20 minutes when I stop for lunch.

The better option is to get a 5 pin wire harness as the 5th pin is for power and you can put a small charger on the car battery so that the RV will charge the TOAD battery. I didn't know about that at the time.

Also, I now charge my Patriot the night before I tow my car to make sure it starts on a full charge.

I now tow my Jeep Wrangler with the same system and when the Patriot dies, I will switch to the cable hookup that pulls the Jeep brakes when you slow down so that I won't need an electric brake controller at all. You might see if that is available on the CR-V.
Old 06-29-2018, 03:22 PM   #4

Without a battery hot line feed, or what is known as a trickle charger line, any type of aux. brake will weaken battery. Same thing would have happened on our Subaru, but I have an RVI battery charger in the Subi.
No matter the brand of aux. brake, when it is in operation, activating the brake, it is "closing" the circuit. Even though it ia a small amount, over a period of hours towing and braking, battery will get used.
Common problem taken care of with a battery charger line.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 10:50 PM   #5

Loving the guidance. Thank you!
Old 07-13-2018, 08:33 AM   #6

We use the RVi2 on a 2011 CRV. We also love the integral TPMS for monitoring the CRV tires. Been all over the place, no problems.
vjstangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:17 PM   #7

Thanks vjsrangelo. I just ordered the RVi3 this week. Fingers crossed.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:07 AM   #8

I asked in a diff thread but should have here. I got the unit and hooked up the battery charger. Now I need to do the breakaway line. I知 reluctant to punch a hole in my he firewall. Is it reasonable to just run the wire through a window instead?
Old 07-24-2018, 10:40 AM   #9
Chief tinkerer

RVI breakeaway wire through window

Eric, I have not heard of anyone doing this. In a bind, maybe, but I would not have this as permanent. It required some "standing on my head" acrobatics, but I was able, using a straightened coat-hangar, to gently guide it through the same hole that had another cable running through the firewall ('18 Acadia). I believe you said Honda, so I am sure someone on here or over at IRV2 has found a way and can guide you.

good luck!

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:51 AM   #10

Eric, if look for an existing opening and just run the breakaway cord that grommet hole. That is what I did on the CRV: there was a big rubber grommet in the firewall and I just snaked the breakaway cord through to the floor board area by the accelerator pedal. I stow under the dash when not in use. No issues.
vjstangelo is offline   Reply With Quote