Old 02-07-2011, 07:46 PM   #1
Satellite TV

Any advice on getting Dish vs Direct TV

Kirby42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:28 PM   #2
The only advice I can give you between the two is that if you know someone who already has the service you choose, ask them for a referral. Either one will give you some money back.

DIRECTV: Referral Program

I've had both services, DN about 10 years ago and I now have DTV and either will give you many of the channels you expect to get so long as you order something besides their basic package.

Where we've been:

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:14 AM   #3
CLASS "A" Senior Member
We've had both at the house. Started with Dish, changed to DirecTV due to elevation of the signal. Once our trees grew the signal became intermittent. Dish is set at 27 degrees while DirecTV is 38 degrees in the MD area. 11 degrees makes a big difference at home for us. We added DirecTV to the motorhome, we pay an additional $5 a month for it. It's just billed as another room. We already had Tivo service so we have it out there as well and no additional charge. We record a bunch of programs and always have something to watch even if we're camping below trees.

2007 Georgetown 370TS

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:59 PM   #4
Direct Sat TV has a promotion on now to give you a portable dish and receiver for your RV when you sign up for home service. Saw ad in Good Sam magazine.
padre44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:25 PM   #5
We've had DirecTV at home for 12 years now and have never had any problems. Everyone I know has DirecTV and I haven't heard much about Dish. We don't have satellite in the MH yet but I just acquired an extra dish and an extra receiver - I just need to get a tripod and reactivate the receiver and we'll be good to go. The DW is against satellite in the MH but I guarantee once I get it hooked up she will be hooked.
Bubba & Chiquita + Two Vizslas (Barley and Sophie)
2008 Georgetown 315DS SE LTD
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Sterling All-Terrain Tow Bar - SMI Stay-In-Play Duo
Do What You Like - Like What You Do!
Los Popes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:51 AM   #6
We have Dish and we decided on it because we wanted to have in motion HD (can't get HD in motion on Direct). (and I dont want to have to set up a dish or tripod when we arrive either. We use the KVH R6DX and it has worked well.
2010 Berkshire 390BH Bunkhouse
350 HP Cummins & MH3000 Transmission
1200 watts of Solar power
2 - KVH R6DX Dishes with DISH HD DVR
AB6FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:37 AM   #7
i have never had anything but dish so i can't compare it. i take the receiver from home when i travel (if u leave one unplugged for a couple of months, it has to be on a while to receive updates).
last year i purchased a winguard dish that automatically set itself up. i like it but the price was up there.
one of my TV's is HD. the min programing package would give me what i normally watch. i opted for the next package up because of the expanded HD channels. not sure that is still necessary.
my receiver has a DVR built in. i wouldn't have it any other way now.

jimh is offline   Reply With Quote