Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2018, 11:02 PM   #1

Solar batteries

It's time to get new batteries for the coach...FR3 2015 30 Ds. Looking for something that I could use with solar panels ... Cost is not a factor. Just want the best what do you suggest and why
colourful64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 01:06 AM   #2
Always Learning

If cost truly isn’t a factor, then you can’t beat lithium batteries. Less weight, higher usable amp hours, and they can take all of the charging capacity up to 100% full that you can throw at them. The downsides are cost and being temperature temperamental over 100 degrees F and under 32 degrees F.

http://learntorv.com/battery-upgrade/
Old 01-21-2018, 01:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
If cost truly isn’t a factor, then you can’t beat lithium batteries. Less weight, higher usable amp hours, and they can take all of the charging capacity up to 100% full that you can throw at them. The downsides are cost and being temperature temperamental over 100 degrees F and under 32 degrees F.

http://learntorv.com/battery-upgrade/

Well the lithium are out... We travel Canada and will need something that can take extreme weather temoeratures
Old 01-21-2018, 01:53 AM   #4
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by colourful64 View Post
Well the lithium are out... We travel Canada and will need something that can take extreme weather temoeratures

That’s often easily managed by installing them in a temperature controlled environment- like under a bed or booth dinette. They don’t need to be vented like lead batteries.
Old 01-25-2018, 03:51 AM   #5

Yes. That works fine when we are using the rig but what if we want to leave it for two weeks. Then we need a place store the batteries
Old 01-25-2018, 03:51 AM   #6

What about agm. Is that a good battery
Old 01-25-2018, 06:56 AM   #7

Quote:
You can store lithiums inside the rv, no off gassing.
cmysstailights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:07 AM   #8

@colourful64, we just added that second battery rack to hold two more Group 31 AGM batteries on our rig. We went up to Duluth, MN over xmas and it was quite nice to not have to worry so much about the SOC on the batteries. One surprise was how much current the V10 alternator charges while driving. I think we saw 90-100 amps getting put back into the battery bank at one time. We went with the Sams Club Duracell AGM Group 31 and so far pretty happy, though only have year on them. Just wanted batteries that in case we have issues, a Sams club isn't too far from us. I'm sure if these die this year (knock on wood), I'll have a different tone about them. :-) We went with the AGM because I don't want to maintain the batteries by checking/adding water to them. We'll see.

Our solar is able to keep the rig topped off when at home, so plugging in isn't necessary during short storage. We did get down to 55-60% SOC after about 3 days of boondocking when it was cloudy/overcast, which is fine to me. Holler if you have any questions about solar/batteries on our 30DS.
Old 01-25-2018, 02:12 PM   #9

Quote:
It's time to get new batteries for the coach...FR3 2015 30 Ds. Looking for something that I could use with solar panels ... Cost is not a factor. Just want the best what do you suggest and why
Have a look at two six volts here at this link.

rollsbattery.com
Old 01-30-2018, 10:49 PM   #10

And her I am... A hollering... What did you use for solar? And how did you know where to mount them on the roof? And where did you put the batteries... Ps... Montana is warm compared to where we go at minus 35 lop
Old 01-31-2018, 10:19 AM   #11

Quote:
And her I am... A hollering... What did you use for solar? And how did you know where to mount them on the roof? And where did you put the batteries... Ps... Montana is warm compared to where we go at minus 35 lop
I used 4x180 watt Grape Solar panels. FR3 has Aluminum roof frames set about 4ft apart. There is a roof schematic in the FR3 forum. A stud finder also can be used to locate them. I just drilled a pilot hole, then screwed down the aluminum brackets. The extra two batteries are just aft of the existing batteries. I welded up a rack and its bolted to the chassis. We were in Minnesota where it was -20F at nights and worked pretty good. Wouldn't want to full time in that weather though. Too cold for me.
KansasFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasFR3 View Post
I used 4x180 watt Grape Solar panels. FR3 has Aluminum roof frames set about 4ft apart. There is a roof schematic in the FR3 forum. A stud finder also can be used to locate them. I just drilled a pilot hole, then screwed down the aluminum brackets. The extra two batteries are just aft of the existing batteries. I welded up a rack and its bolted to the chassis. We were in Minnesota where it was -20F at nights and worked pretty good. Wouldn't want to full time in that weather though. Too cold for me.

Ok thanks for that info.... It's pretty cold that's for sure...but we enjoy winter as much as summer.

Tags
batteries, solar