Old 09-09-2016, 09:38 PM   #11
3071DS

Sounds like the house batteries are low, start the MH. Let it run for a bit to charge the house batteries. Rocker the switch down to prime. Red light off. Push rocker to start. Give it a try.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Old 09-09-2016, 09:48 PM   #12
7 Year Class A RV'er

Is your coach/generator diesel? If so, the clicking is normal. A diesel unit will click while it primes. Just keep holding the switch and it will start when it's primed and the engine us ready to start.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 10:06 PM   #13

The MH is gas
Old 09-09-2016, 10:08 PM   #14

Thanks, will try that tomorrow
Old 09-10-2016, 07:21 AM   #15

Not sure what you mean by "clicks." It could mean the starter solenoid. One thing to keep in the back of your mind is that occasionally an Onan/Cummins generator when being started with a low battery will have its Bendix gear on the starter engage the flywheel and with insufficient voltage not be able to start. Normally when the voltage returns it will start fine. However, I have had the Bendix gear stick in the flywheel and the starter has insufficient torque to start from there. All it does is try with no success. When this happened to me it required jogging the flywheel manually to enable the Bendix to retract and then started fine after that. Only happened once, but it did happen.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 08:22 AM   #16

Typically, pressing the gen start switch down (not up to start) till the switch light illuminates (indicating primed) and then pressing the switch up to start is the procedure as mentioned earlier. The coach batteries supply start power. I believe the battery disconnect must not be disconnected. If the coach batteries are low you could hold the emergency start switch to emergency start position which will tie chassis batteries to coach battery circuits. To keep from running chassis battery down engine should be running. These are typical scenarios which have been my motorhome experiences with several units and currently my Forest River Georgetown.
Old 09-10-2016, 10:00 AM   #17

This is an On an Gold. By clicking, it sounds like a dead battery. There is a button at the base of the steps inside the MH that says something like use and power hold. I turn the power hold button on, hold the generator button down to prime until it turns green. Nothing. I have tried holding the emergency battery button down along with the generator button, it just clicks like it is dead. I started the MH and let it run for an hr and tried all of the above with no success. I don't know where or what the flywheel is. How many batteries are there on this motorhome? 3 or 4? One to the engine, 2 in the bay by the door, is there a separate one for the generator? Thanks everyone! I want to use it this fall so I am determined to figure it out. We just got it 3 weeks ago
Old 09-10-2016, 10:01 AM   #18

What do you mean by the battery disconnect must not be disconnected?
Old 09-10-2016, 06:51 PM   #19
3071DS

On my 3170 Sunseeker class C motorhome. My 0nan 4000 generator is started from the house batteries, of which I have 2. My house batteries are charged by either plugging into electric service or my motorhome's alternator. The motorhome has its own starting battery. The only time my genny would not roll over was my house batteries were down due to overnighting in a parking lot. I idled the motorhome for a bit to charge the house batteries a bit and started the genny. The genny than charged the house batteries.
There is a switch somewhere in your motorhome that will disconnect the house batteries so they will not drain during storage. Is this switch switched on? It will be a round red knob probably close to the batteries, if not in the same compartment.
Check your batteries with a volt meter, if it reads 11.2 volts or less, batteries may be dead. If you are using 6 volt, one dead battery in the bank will bring the entire bank down. I would start troubleshooting with the house batteries and work my way from there.

You should be able to start the genny at the genny, you could have a bad starting switch in the coach.

Let us know what you find.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Dorothy, Miss Bella and I. Sometimes daughter and grands, loving life.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:13 PM   #20

There is a store switch at the base of the steps that the previous owner said to make sure it is turned off every time we leave the motorhome. Class A (Storing it). I have done that. I may try starting the MH tomorrow, leaving the store button off and let the MH run for awhile to see if it will charge the house batteries. Thanks!