Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2015, 08:40 AM   #1

Sunseeker 3170DS Jensen Radio Antenna

We just took ownership of our 3170 and we're big music people. Unfortunately there are no speakers hooked up to the B or C channels in the Jensen unit in the back 'entertainment area'. Besides that I can't get any radio stations to tune. I took the unit out yesterday and I think I found the antenna, which is a long flexible strip that says 3M on it, it was shoved under the tub.

Is the 3M strip antenna suppose to be stuck on the side of the unit or something? It kind of started working when I held it up to the window near the bunks.

My first post!
Thanks.
knockando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:14 AM   #2

Ours is exactly as you've said. I honestly can't say we've notice a reception problem with the flexable antenna stored in the tubs plumbing area... However it rarely gets used for its radio capabilities. Kids use it for Wii and DVDs.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfinder5 View Post
Ours is exactly as you've said. I honestly can't say we've notice a reception problem with the flexable antenna stored in the tubs plumbing area... However it rarely gets used for its radio capabilities. Kids use it for Wii and DVDs.
Thanks for letting me know ours isn't screwed up. Besides the kids using it for DVDs we've started using the AUX3 mini-plug with an iPod or phone. I just wish I could pick the kitchen/living room speakers. I've confirmed the B and C channel wires are just hanging out behind the unit, not connected to anything.
knockando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 03:45 PM   #4

Me too. The kitchen ceiling speakers are connected to the radio deck in the cab.

We have a Bluetooth portable speaker we use with our phone, it does a really good job.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfinder5 View Post
Me too. The kitchen ceiling speakers are connected to the radio deck in the cab.

We have a Bluetooth portable speaker we use with our phone, it does a really good job.
For the life of me I can not get the four ceiling speakers to work. Any suggestions? When I use the Jensen head unit I only get the cab door speakers.
rsscully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 06:44 PM   #6

Hello

I am not familiar with your unit but could it be a 'balance' thing. I did that with my 3050s and it did the trick
MMMndp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 06:47 PM   #7

Don't have time to check tonight. I'll give it a try tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:41 PM   #8
CC4

Jensen Media Centre

When I took delivery of my 2015 Tracer Air 250, I immediately discovered some problems with the Jensen Media Centre wiring. (1) Some of the 6 speakers were wired out-of-phase and (2) only one exterior speaker was operating.
Being a retired recording engineer, I pulled the Jensen out of it's compartment and looked at the back of the system. One of the external speakers was not hooked up at all (The naked wiring pair hanging loose behind the unit not connected to the speaker). The other external speaker was hooked to the wrong channel. Two of the four internal speakers were wired out-of-phase and reversed L/R. It took about ten minutes to re-route and correct the phase of all the offending speakers using phase and continuity checkers and now it sound pretty good. I think this is a little sloppy of the manufacturer "Prime Time". I've also found that the interior and exterior light switches were wired in reverse. I'll fix that later as the switches do work just not the way they should. Hopefully this isn't the norm for all their trailers. It was probably rushed through on a Friday so the wiring tech. could go fishing for the weekend.
I had the unit out for it's first official camping trip last weekend and all went well. I've already converted all the internal lights to LED to save on power consumption (Thanks H4).
My dealer did offer to fix the speaker problem but I decided to solve it myself since I feel I have more expertise in audio wiring than they probably do.
CC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 02:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMndp View Post
Hello

I am not familiar with your unit but could it be a 'balance' thing. I did that with my 3050s and it did the trick
This absolutely worked. Thanks for the suggestion. This is the easiest solution and the only one I didn't try. It wasn't a balance issue, but the fader was set just forward of center in the head unit. I must have adjusted the fader when I installed my new door speakers and was trying to push more sound through them.

Tags
3170, antenna, jensen, radio, sunseeker