Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2014, 02:34 PM   #1

Switch question

Can anyone tell me why this light is on and if it's normal? Stays on while driving. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1402515240.833179.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	685.9 KB
ID:	54974
TangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:17 AM   #2

Come on guys, someone must know. I can't find anything in the "manual".
Old 06-12-2014, 09:22 AM   #3
Site Team

Tango, what make/model MH do you have?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:23 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Does it go off if you switch it? The lower 4 switches all show their lights off, but they're all in a different position. The exception is the switch next to it, the one that looks like a lightbulb, that's in the same position, but not lite.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:27 AM   #5

"14 coachmen encounter. The switch with the lightbulb to the right is the generator start switch. The switch in question that is has the green light can only be pushed on and is spring loaded to the off position when you let go. I believe it is a battery boost switch of some sort, but not certain and don't know what the green light is indicating.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:36 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ah, ok, well, I have no idea what that switch does. In most cases with a momentary switch like that the light will indicate that whatever it is you've turned on is on. But the only cases for a momentary switch is if whatever it is that turns on will eventually turn off. Normally after some set amount of time or a particular event.

Hopefully someone else can hop in here.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:42 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoTango View Post
"14 coachmen encounter. The switch with the lightbulb to the right is the generator start switch. The switch in question that is has the green light can only be pushed on and is spring loaded to the off position when you let go. I believe it is a battery boost switch of some sort, but not certain and don't know what the green light is indicating.
Great, since this may be a RV specific model question, you can also seek out fellow members who have the same RV for their advice.

Here is how:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ile-53932.html

When doing the search, I would only put 'encounter' in the year/model box. I did this and got several members who have that listed in their profile. You can then PM a member with your specific question, and they may can help. I would limit the PM's to active members who have been on the forums lately.

Hope this helps, and another reason why it's good to put your make/model RV in your profile.

I did send a PM to one member for you.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:59 AM   #8

Thanks for your replies. I'm not that worried since the light is green, however I do need to know what it's for and how and when to use it. I wish they wrote better owner manuals, so things were easier to troubleshoot. Thanks again.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:03 AM   #9

Switch Question

My Encounter has the same switch and has always been lit up.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:07 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Just thought of something else. Does it turn off if you press and hold? Some switches you need to hold the button for a second or two to show you really want to turn off whatever and that it's not an accidental bump.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:26 AM   #11

In a Georgetown that would be the coach battery disconnect switch but is located at the entrance stairwell. The light could be on but does not necessarily mean the coach batteries are tied to the bus and being charged.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:20 AM   #12

Switch question

Forgot to mention that on my Encounter the switch is for battery boost.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:26 PM   #13

mystery spring loaded button

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoTango View Post
Can anyone tell me why this light is on and if it's normal? Stays on while driving. Attachment 54974
I have an Encounter 37TZ, if you turn your ignition on (engine not started) push the spring loaded switch and you will hear a click somewhere behind you. Let go and you will hear another click. What you are hearing is a solenoid/switch that puts your Coach Batteries in the circuit with your MH chassis battery. This lets you start the coach when its' battery is low or dead. The green light lets you know that the Coach Battery is charged and available. Once upon a time manufacturers labeled this EMERGENCY START, but it is cheaper to just print a picture.

1nshort
Old 06-12-2014, 03:49 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck 92 View Post
Forgot to mention that on my Encounter the switch is for battery boost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nshort View Post
I have an Encounter 37TZ, if you turn your ignition on (engine not started) push the spring loaded switch and you will hear a click somewhere behind you. Let go and you will hear another click. What you are hearing is a solenoid/switch that puts your Coach Batteries in the circuit with your MH chassis battery. This lets you start the coach when its' battery is low or dead. The green light lets you know that the Coach Battery is charged and available. Once upon a time manufacturers labeled this EMERGENCY START, but it is cheaper to just print a picture.

1nshort
Thank you for the replies to the OP. I liked learning this even though I don't have a MH (it's on my bucket list).

And another thanks to 1nshort for answering the PM I sent you earlier. I couldn't have done it, without ya taking the time to put your RV make/model in your profile.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:39 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nshort View Post

1nshort

That makes sense. Thank you. Thanks to all who took time to reply. This forum is a big help.