Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2019, 12:19 PM   #1

Tall drivers - Class C cabs

Hi all -

We're considering trading in the Rockwood 5th wheel for a Class C, looking at the Coachmen Leprechaun 319DS or MP.

Went to the local dealership yesterday, and found the driver's seat to be short. I'm 6'2" with 34" inseam legs and found the cab to be cramped. Seat cannot move further back due to the slide out.

I'm very concerned about comfort. I'm imagining my knees screaming after a few hours driving, much less a full 8 hour day.

Are all of the Class C cabs this tight, or is it just the Fords? Or is it just the Coachmen?

-Red
Red Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 02:32 PM   #2
DW's 401(k) Plan

I'm 6'2" and I can't remember if my seat goes back more or not. I'll look at it tonight and let you know.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 03:02 PM   #3
Multi-Slacker

You need to check in person. It is not only legroom but pedal position. Seems to me, that because of the doghouse, the pedals are left of your centerline when comfortably seated. About 1/2 of the vehicles I've checked simply would not fit me. May work for you, may not.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:28 AM   #4
Senior Gold Member

Tall drivers - Class C cabs

I’m six foot and my 2019 Ford E450 33 foot Sunseeker is a snug fit although with the driver seat fully back there is a bit of forward leg room when you are on cruise control and can move you feet off the pedals. Fortunately my wife spells me off on driving every two hours and that helps
Old 08-07-2019, 05:50 AM   #5
Befuddled wanderer

I'm 6' 10" and have been doing some casual research on what motorhomes I could possibly drive (RV shows, etc.). I have determined that anything that uses a Ford/Chevy van style front end is worthless for me. I have sat in some Mercedes Sprinter style motorhomes that were just a bit better, but I'm still not sure I would be able to drive those for long distances. I have tried some Super-C's built on the Freightliner chassis and I think I could do that OK, but they still aren't "marvelous". Even class A type motorhomes are hit and miss for me. Those pretty much depend on how close the slide-out is behind the driver's seat. I have found some that are good, but not all. What I think may be the best is the units that are starting to appear that use a pickup style front end such as the Dynamax Isata 5 that uses a Dodge truck chassis. I've only found a small handful of manufacturers using that style chassis yet, but they are available.

2020 Rockwood Ultra Light 2891 BH
1996 Dodge Ram 3500 dually 8.0L V10

"Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice"
cc102bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 01:05 PM   #6

I had a 2018 Sunseeker 2500TS that was a little tight for me at 6'5" but doable. We traded it in on our current 2019 Forest River Forester 3041DSF which has more space in the driver's seat. I have always tilted my driver's seat back a bit in every car or coach I have ever owned... this always gives more headroom AND legroom. The Forester has a bit more clearance to tilt back than the Sunseeker did so it is quite comfortable to drive. Each rig is different as it depends on the clearance behind the driver's seat to the slide when slide is pulled in for driving.
2018 Vanleigh Vilano 375FL
www.Wind-seeker.com/vilano
jbrosecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 01:18 PM   #7
jkoenig24

Get a TRUE Super C Class RV (TRUE = built on a Class 7 or 8 HDT; NOT on any MDT ie:Class 4, 5 or 6 vehicles).
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 01:26 PM   #8

Mercedes MBS

Plenty of room in my MBS 2400WS and no dog house noise or heat. Great for me, DW, and or Rottie.
Mtnman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:28 PM   #9
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrinch View Post
I'm 6'2" and I can't remember if my seat goes back more or not. I'll look at it tonight and let you know.
Okay, I went out to the coach and sat in it..... the seat will not go back any further, however it will recline some. I do have enough legroom as it currently sits, with the seat all the way back. Made a trip to Illinois and back and no problems with needing to stretch my legs.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc102bob View Post
What I think may be the best is the units that are starting to appear that use a pickup style front end such as the Dynamax Isata 5 that uses a Dodge truck chassis.
Holy moly, that's awesome! As a Dodge truck owner for 20 years, I love this! Thanks, Bob! I'll definitely keep my eye on these.

We've decided to hold off on a purchase for now and wait a few years, but this will DEFINITELY be a model line I'll be looking at.

-M
Old 08-08-2019, 07:38 AM   #11

Thanks for your insights, everyone! When I resume our search, I'll keep an eye out on the Isatas, and Super C's using Class 7 or 8 HDT frames.

I'll wait a couple of years for those Isatas to reach 2-3 years and depreciate a bit more. :-)
Old 08-10-2019, 09:42 AM   #12

Have a Coachmen Freelander, sat in both the Ford and Chevy before purchase. Had more room in the Chevy, so that steered me that direction. Im 6'4".
dafoot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 03:40 PM   #13

Floor plan may dictate your ability to move the seat further back. Some class C floor plans might have a sofa or dinette immediately behind the cab seat(s) which can prevent full movement of the seat. Other floor plans may have just a step well behind the passenger, allowing full seat movement, and perhaps a slide wall behind the driver set back far enough to allow full driver seat movement. Check the specific floor plans to see how much cab space is available.
BehindBars is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c