Old 12-01-2014, 12:14 AM   #1

I've got a 2012 Sunseeker 2900. DW and I are new to motor homing and we're having a spirited discussion regarding tankage. On our last two trips I hauled 5 gallons of fresh water and 5 gallons of black water (geo method). This gave us enough fresh water to use the facilities or do whatever we needed to do en route. This seems like common sense to me, haul as little weight as possible and distribute what you do have forward if possible. Hauling 44 gals aft of the rear axle seems wrong to me.

Can some of you pipe in with do's, dont's, and reasons why? Also, how easy is it to fill up with fresh water while on the road?

Mike968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:29 AM   #2
Hauling the minimum amount of water that meets your needs is good. Just be sure you can get water at your destination.

I wouldn't plan on getting water on the road. I wouldn't trust water at a gas station. I only get water a campground or at a friend's house. Others probably have different opinions.

I usually fill our fresh water tank because we often do not know where we will be staying the next night and water hook-up may not be available. I just accept the additional weight to have the flexibility of staying where we want to, not where we have to have hook-ups.

You'll figure out what's best for your style of camping and traveling.

2011 Sunseeker 3100
1997 Pathfinder Toad
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:40 AM   #3
I just fill up a couple of milk jugs of water, to keep in the bathroom. Use this water to flush toilet while traveling or over nighting at WM.
Frank & Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:54 AM   #4
Site Team
Originally Posted by Mike968 View Post
... 5 gallons of fresh water and 5 gallons of black water. This gave us enough fresh water to use the facilities or do whatever we needed to do en route.
This is my method, also. We always know where we're going when we leave home and know we can get water there.
SEARCH is your friend!
FR Wildcat 295RSX / GMC Sierra

Nights Camped: 2013 = 49 / 2014 = 74 / 2015 = 74 / 2016 = 74 (booked = 11)
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:25 AM   #5
Keep about 10 gallons in fresh water tank for toilet, Top off upon arrival at campsite thru good filter
brookstone345sa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:18 PM   #6
I only keep water in the tank when traveling long distances. My rule is about a third full. But then again that is if I'm traveling more than 500 miles or more than a day's journey.
2014 Legacy SR300, 340BH
Toad: 2011 GMC Acadia
" On the go to see something amazing"
- Psalm 107:23-24
lrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 01:13 PM   #7
We tend to run between 1/2 to full on the fresh water. We don't tow anything so the impact of 200-400 lbs of water is negligible for the V10 in our Forester. As far as the black water we try and empty before heading home and run ~10 or so gallons of water in the black tank to rinse the tank on the way home. We have a free dump station 2 miles from home so either way works for us.
Good luck.
Gilm2113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 11:28 PM   #8
Thanks guys, plenty to think about. I suspect I'll do what DW wants to do and fill the FW prior to our next trip, we're going to Vegas and we'll be dry camping behind Ceasars for 2 night before heading on up to Yosemite. Our only option would be to fill up at a gas station once we arrive in Vegas and she's not too excited about that... We don't drink the water but we do shower with it and that's enough. I have to agree after some of the stories about nasty water I've read here and elsewhere. Thanks again!
Mike968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:12 AM   #9
We do use our fresh water for cooking, coffee, flushing, washing, and keeping the dogs hydrated.
I top ours off to between 1/3rd to 1/2 full. Depending on where we are going and how long we will be on the road. The only real dry camping we do is in families driveways. I'll fill up the tank when we arrive as I'd rather use my own shower and toilet than those who we are staying with. We have 3 kids, so bringing our own space with us works out well and keeps us from becoming a burden on others.
2011 Sunseeker 3170DS - 30,000 miles explored
funfinder5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:37 AM   #10
We drive with about 5 gallons of water in the tanks (geo method for black), but we also keep two 1 gallon jugs stowed behind the toilet for flushing while on the road. That way we don't need to wonder if the water pump is on or off

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote