Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2010, 11:42 PM   #1

Tips & tricks for exterior cleaning

I am curious to hear the different ways we all wash, dry, wax and clean our rigs. This could be a good chance to pick up some time saving tips & tricks.

2008 Forest River Berkshire 390QS
2006 Ford Focus Toad
Sometimes 6X12 enclosed trailer with a
2007 1200c HD Sportster & a 2006
HD Night Train
06nighttrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 09:05 AM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

No matter how you go about it, It's a lot of work! When I wash it, I start at the back and just work my way around the front and back top the rear. I work from the top down. I have the extension pole for the brush so I don't use a ladder. Same procedure for waxing, but I use the ladder and it takes me most of the weekend to do it. I work early in the morning for a couple hours and later in the evening to avoid the hottest part of the day. It always looks great once it is done but while doing it just seems like an eternity getting done.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:40 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Wash, wax, clean, shine, polish, and the cover it up and put it away, and never let it get dirty again. Seriously, I doubt there are many tricks. It mostly is just like your car, only bigger. If you have a fiver that is prone to collect bugs on the nose, I have heard of spraying "PAM" no stick cooking spray on the front to help was the hugs off. Works for cars too, especially in areas like Florida where they have "love bugs". Just remember, like your car, the cleaner you keep it, the easier it is to clean. Plan a week-end, or two, or three a year to wash & wax it. I do mine in May, before Memorial Day week-end, again just after the 4th of July, and again sometime after Labor Day, when I get ready to winterize. Mine sets out, and gets plenty dirty in the winter even without towing it in the rain. If we do tow in the rain, usually gets a wash before the next trip.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 01:18 PM   #4

We use a product called FAST WAX spray wash and wax. Wax a 4 x 4 square let dry to a haze and wipe it off. It takes me a half a day the do the whole coach and lasts a year. The bugs just come off the front when we travel. Its made in North Carolina and used by NASCAR. Water just bubbles off the finish. I'm a distributer and can't keep enough on hand when we winter in Florida. I have repeat customers waiting for me.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 03:20 PM   #5

Don't mean to come across as doubting, but by half a day, do you mean 12 hours? I don't see how it could take any less than that. I just finished waxing my coach and it took me about 12 hours over 3 days.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 04:57 PM   #6

while i dont have a motor home i do wash my 30f cherokee a couple times per season i use a wash/wax car wash soap that works great rince 6 or 8 ft sections at a time scrub with soft bristled brus and rince again these products dry shiny and steak free and look great i also use an awning cleaner bought at camping world same procedure when done everything looks great usually takes only a couple of hrs including beer break
j2detroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:23 AM   #7

Where can you purchase this FAST WAX
Railroadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:01 AM   #8
Grape Escape

Wash and wax

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06nighttrain View Post
I am curious to hear the different ways we all wash, dry, wax and clean our rigs. This could be a good chance to pick up some time saving tips & tricks.
Sure. Get the kids or DH to do it.
I must have been dreaming.
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:32 AM   #9

I haven't waxed the new TT yet, but when I do it will be using a buffer.

On my vehicles, it cut and easy hour off the job. The trailer is easily 3-4 times as much surface so a savings of 2-3 hours over hand polishing is likely.

Just make sure you use a nice slow speed orbital buffer and don't linger on those vinyl decals.....
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:12 AM   #10
2011 Berkshire 390bh

We did the full wash and wax this past summer. It was a two man job for all day. We used Mother's wax and it did a nice job. The only problem area for us was the roof. Both the guy helping me and I are petrified of heights and even though it's only 12 and a half feet it still bothered both of us to be up there and making the surface just a little bit slipperier than it was before we started. For the Diamond Shield on the front I use Bug Magic to take off the bugs first. Great product and it doesn't hurt the Diamond Shield.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:36 AM   #11

We take ours to a coin-operated RV wash at a local RV park. It usually takes about $4-$5 in quarters. It's like the truck washes you see around. They have an elevated platform on each side so you can go up the steps and wash the roof. It has a spray wax setting and also the foam soap brushes. I start by cleaning off the black streaks with some stuff called Amazing. We take it there twice a year. Also, once a year, I wax my decals with NuFinish.
doctort44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:46 AM   #12
JEM

I use Mother's Spray Wax on the Diamond Shield when we arrive at our destination, bugs come off pretty easy. I wipe the Diamond shield down with wet rag a couple of times to get road dirt off then spray wax. Most RV parks don't permit you to wash your RV at the site, never had a problem with with my wet wipe and spray.
JEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:05 AM   #13

For fast clean ups $ store spray pleage is good spray on wipe off the dirt and dust and shine it all in 1 shot lol about 1/3 can per end and 1/2 per side about 1 hour done...cost a $1.25 0r so per can and no waste Bushman
Bushman512003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:34 AM   #14

Just a word of caution if you are considering using Fast Wax Spray. I just looked up the product and it says "NOT" for use on porous surfaces. In addition it is a petroleum based product. I was told not to use ANY petroleum based products on the decals. From experience in the Arizona sun I want to protect/maintain my decals, and the only product I've found to protect them is 303 Protectant. As for the rest of the RV have at it.
bailer6334 is offline   Reply With Quote