View Poll Results: Are tire covers needed?
Yes 85 76.58%
No 26 23.42%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-03-2016, 03:59 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmchapman View Post
I have a couple of questions regarding wheel covers. Why does it make any difference if they are driven occasionally or parked for a long time? If continual exposure is a problem why don't we have a problem with our tires on our tow vehicles and daily drivers? Just asking.
I ve be been told that driving keeps the oils and uv protectant messaged through tires allowing for flex
The sun is brutal. Sitting in one position vs moving about changes the amount and intensity of sun striking surfaces. Tires subjected to variations in conditions

Old 08-03-2016, 06:28 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpPI View Post
So I had an older gentleman that hangs out at the local country store ask me about my MH and he says I really need to get Tire Covers or my tires will dry rot ....

Yes or No ... do I really need theM?
Hell Yes !!!

Old 08-03-2016, 10:04 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
I think one reason is your daily drivers are better tires.
NO. The difference is that your daily drivers are driven daily. Antioxidants in the tire compounds migrate because of the flexing induced while driving. If you park a car for extended periods, the car tires will incur the same problems.
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:27 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
NO. The difference is that your daily drivers are driven daily. Antioxidants in the tire compounds migrate because of the flexing induced while driving. If you park a car for extended periods, the car tires will incur the same problems.
So you think your TT tires are of equivalent (or maybe better) quality as your daily drivers tires?? Hmmmm.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:54 AM   #45
2012 Solera

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
My experience- bought a boat on a trailer with ST tires in 1988. Severe cracks within 5 years. Not knowledgeable wrt trailer vs car tires. Replaced with car tires. No notable cracking in 15 years. Same usage.
A while ago someone posted a comment on this forum - something like ST tires will crack "while you are looking at them" - close to my experience. LT tires seem like car tires rather than like ST tires in that regard.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:56 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
So you think your TT tires are of equivalent (or maybe better) quality as your daily drivers tires?? Hmmmm.
Exactly! Mine are LTs for both pickup and trailer. I still think tire covers are like the nitrogen filled tires gimmick. Something for us to buy to make us feel better but don't provide a whole lot of utility for the few years the tires are actually on the rig. So use 'em or don't, probably doesn't make much difference
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:56 PM   #47

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
Even though the tires are on the rv when you buy it, doesn't mean they're good quality. When we bought our new Windjammer, we took it to Colorado from Texas,,,,900 miles and I found bubbles on the sidewalls. I called FR and told them they should be ashamed of what they put on their new units. He agreed,,,,,,off record,,,,,and gave me $300 allowance,,,,,an actual check,,,towards the purchase of new tires of a different brand. So don't tell me that they're good simply because they came on our TT.
Old 08-03-2016, 01:07 PM   #48
DW's Retirement Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
Never ever used them but then again I have only been doing this for forty seven years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendOrLarry View Post
Well then that makes you an expert on the subject! Yes you need wheel covers to keep UV off the tires. Do any internet search on the subject and you will see it's a no brainer.
I'm not even going past the first page on this and read all the other responses.....

If UV is so detrimental on the tires, why don't we cover our car and TV tires every time we stop? Aren't they just as important? I've got one vehicle that sits for days, if not weeks, at a time. Should I cover those tires? Spray some ArmorAll or some other UV dressing on the tires when you wash your RV - forget the covers. Unless you like the looks of the covers.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life...
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:13 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrinch View Post
I'm not even going past the first page on this and read all the other responses.....

If UV is so detrimental on the tires, why don't we cover our car and TV tires every time we stop? Aren't they just as important? I've got one vehicle that sits for days, if not weeks, at a time. Should I cover those tires? Spray some ArmorAll or some other UV dressing on the tires when you wash your RV - forget the covers. Unless you like the looks of the covers.
Most of those tire dressings are essentially snake oil. Some petroleum product to increase shine, and they do very little to help protect the tires. Covers are the best way to protect them. And if I had a vehicle that I cared very much about that was parked in the sun all the time, you bet I would cover it and the tires to protect it from the sun.
PI hardwired EMC, Wire Shelving in wardrobe
Plexiglass screen door protector, Blue LED Wine nook
stairs, and counting...
karrun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 02:07 PM   #50
DW's Retirement Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrun View Post
Most of those tire dressings are essentially snake oil. Some petroleum product to increase shine, and they do very little to help protect the tires. Covers are the best way to protect them. And if I had a vehicle that I cared very much about that was parked in the sun all the time, you bet I would cover it and the tires to protect it from the sun.
I guess we'll agree to disagree on this subject.
All the residents of the SW who live in extreme heat and sun don't cover car/truck tires. If the UV is that bad for the tires, I suspect more people in that area would be covering theirs.
Just my $0.02

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life...
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, tire