Old 12-06-2018, 02:19 PM   #1

Toad dolly hitch drop issue

Im new to motorhome driving. Traded in my 5er. I opted to buy a used dolly trailer to pull my toad. The manuel says not to use a hitch that exceeds a 4 drop. When I hitch up the trailer to the 4 drop hitch it is not level. Also the trailers tire ramps at the back are only 3 off the pavement. Is this normal? I should mention the trailer is used and is s landgrebe a frame td40. Harvey duty with caster steering. Should I tow like this or is there a fix?

popeye305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 03:17 PM   #2

I have a Landgrebe dolly also. I can't say for sure it's not there but I don't remember anything in my manual about not exceeding a 4 in drop. I think the main thing to keep in mind is that it will tow best if the frame is level. I know from experience the dolly will sway and bounce erratically if it is towed with frame in an upward position, ie the hitch is too high.

Even when level, I think my ramps are at the most 4 inches above the payment.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 04:04 PM   #3

Toad dolly hitch drop issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz08h5 View Post
I have a Landgrebe dolly also. I can't say for sure it's not there but I don't remember anything in my manual about not exceeding a 4 in drop. I think the main thing to keep in mind is that it will tow best if the frame is level. I know from experience the dolly will sway and bounce erratically if it is towed with frame in an upward position, ie the hitch is too high.

Even when level, I think my ramps are at the most 4 inches above the payment.

Sorry the motorhome manuel says not to use more then a 4 drop. Its a Ford f53 chassis the hitch sits high on the frame. Also been watching you tube how tos One video says tow with the steering wheel unlocked on the toad on the dolly. Another says locked. Wife says I read and research to much.
popeye305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 02:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeye305 View Post
Sorry the motorhome manuel says not to use more then a 4 drop. Its a Ford f53 chassis the hitch sits high on the frame. Also been watching you tube how tos One video says tow with the steering wheel unlocked on the toad on the dolly. Another says locked. Wife says I read and research to much.
I would need to keep my ignition switch on to keep the steering unlocked. We tow with our toads front wheels locked and transmission in park. Our dolly does the steering.

Fortunately our Class C doesn't need a drop hitch. The dolly is level and tracks perfectly.
Old 12-07-2018, 02:25 PM   #5

When I first got my Acme tow dolly, I went to a hitch shop to get set up and had to replace the electrical socket on the motor home. They sold me a 10" drop hitch which bottomed coming out of a gas station drive way. Bent the hitch to a point of clear and present danger. Replaced with an 8" drop and all was well. Did learn that I should not run at max psi on the dolly as that causes way to much bounce.
Navigator = Xiangbing
Crew = NaNa & NiuNiu
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 03:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeye305 View Post
Sorry the motorhome manuel says not to use more then a 4” drop. It’s a Ford f53 chassis the hitch sits high on the frame. Also been watching you tube how tos One video says tow with the steering wheel unlocked on the toad on the dolly. Another says locked. Wife says I read and research to much.

Depends on what type tow dolly you have.If dolly tires turn left and right ,or steer, the steering wheel on toad must be locked. If the platform of dolly pivots then steering wheel of toad must be unlocked so toad will turn with platform.
railrunner418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 03:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by railrunner418 View Post
Depends on what type tow dolly you have.If dolly tires turn left and right ,or steer, the steering wheel on toad must be locked. If the platform of dolly pivots then steering wheel of toad must be unlocked so toad will turn with platform.
Confused, I believe that should be "if the platform of dolly does not pivot. I tow with a Acme dolly (fixed platform), unlocked steering wheel, 3" drop hitch.

2017.5 Forester 3051S
2019 Jeep Trailhawk toad
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 04:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-W View Post
Confused, I believe that should be "if the platform of dolly does not pivot. I tow with a Acme dolly (fixed platform), unlocked steering wheel, 3" drop hitch.
I stand corrected. Best bet read and observe the instructions for the brand of tow dolly being used. If you don't have a manual most can be found online with a google search...

railrunner418 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, toad