Old 11-21-2010, 09:12 AM   #11
Our Kia Sedona is too big and heavy as a toad, so I started looking for a restorable Messerschmitt "Kabinenroller", but the only one I could find had been fully restored and the owner was asking $15K for it.

Frank and Eileen
No longer RVers or FR owners
F and E Damp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:20 AM   #12
2011 Berkshire 390bh
Originally Posted by MotocrossCamper View Post
We pull a 14 foot trailer, I am wondering why you say you have to plan ahead for your fuel stops? What does towing have to do with that?
The reason you have to plan ahead with a motorhome pulling a toad is that you can't back up without major issues with the toad. There are times that you can get into a tight spot and have to unhook the toad, move the motorhome, move the toad, then hook the toad back up. Needless to say that is a royal pain in the posterior. Even pulling something as small as a Mini Cooper still makes us almost 60 feet long and not overly manueverable.

If you'd like a good example of what it would be like trying to back up with a toad on a motorhome, hook up a small garden tractor trailer to your pick up and try to back it up. If you are like most of us you will find you are using many short words to describe the experience.

2011 Berkshire 390bh
wnytaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:30 AM   #13
Villa Estate 392FLFB
heh thats why i favor car trailers
One state/province at a time!
Full Timing - Salem Villa Estate - 392FLFB - Purchased July 29th 2010
The_Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:39 PM   #14
We tow a Honda CR-V. Doesn't really cause us much pain. Main thing is when fueling we look for bigger gas stations so that the toad isn't sticking out blocking people from driving through the gas station.

I don't like backing the RV with or without the car on the back so I usually just plan my tight driving so I never have to back up. My CR-V is wired with its own lights so and the break away switch is mounted and wired into the car. To disconnect the car, I just pull 2 pins and disconnect the wire harness and the car is free of the RV. It take all but a few minutes to hook/unhook the car.

We've traveled with and without the car and with the car is much more convenient. On our bigger trips we plan for campgrounds at specific destinations but we don't plan the whole trip. For instance for Xmas were going to the Shenandoah valley and D.C. We'll be gone for 3 weeks and only have campgrounds planned for 4 days in Shenandoah and 5 days in D.C. The rest of the trip is wide open. I have no idea where we'll be and when we'll get there. When we do run across something we want to do spur of the moment, we don't have to try to figure out if we can get the RV in/out of the place. We find a Wal-Mart or campground and drop the RV and head out in the car.

Surprisingly, the car doesn't seem to affect gas mileage much either. We were getting 10-11 mpg on the last trip we took (around 1200 miles).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rv_car.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	4000  
RoamingEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:56 AM   #15
Its a personal choice. We towed a 2007 Saturn Aura all the way to the west coast and had no problems going up and down the mts. Only one instance that I had to disconnect and that was my own fault trying to get around gas pumps. It didn't make that much difference on the gas milage either. If you were going to a certain place and not stoping along the way i guess renting would be an option. We just like taking our car and sightseeing when ever we want. We now have a 2010 Escape and love it. Its about the same weight as the saturn was.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:30 PM   #16

Originally Posted by 2Susan View Post
Interesting thread. So far we're toadless and have rented just once (Whitefish, Montana - Enterprise worked out great).

The problem that I see is there are times when having a car would have been handy, but we didn't end up renting and didn't end up going either. Without the toad you are limited to where you can park your camper and then how far you can walk (for us that includes three little children).
Folks would you consider renting a fully equipped Toad that could be delivered to you and picked up from you? I know price is an issue, but would you consider the concept if it was available?
Seanolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:21 PM   #17
This is why I gave up on motorhomes and went back to trailers. Towing a car is very hard on it and it's a hassle. The best way to tow a car is in an enclosed trailer, but that has it's expense and hassles too.
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:58 AM   #18
We bought a used Jeep Grand Cherokee that was set up for flat towing. We plan our trips by picking a CG near places we want to see or go to and drive to them. So far it has worked out well for us. We just use truck stops and look for easy access gas stations when refueling.
concours14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:09 AM   #19
We have been towing a Honda Accord with our Georgetown and find it to be little hassle. It tracks well and seems to have little impact on performance.

We usually look for a pull thru site for an overnight stay and sometimes will unhook to go out to dinner. As for fuel, we like Flying J, Pilot TS, or other larger stations. Unless I have a fuel stop planned, I gas up at about 1/2 tank to ensure ample supply in the event of traffic stopping or some unexpected issue.

So far, so good.

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:47 PM   #20
We noticed that our perceived amount of enjoyment decreased when camping when we were without a vehicle. For the small amount of extra money to tow and the hassle required to hook-up the tow vehicle it doubles our enjoyment to have a 'toad' with us.

Doug and Sharon
2010 Georgetown 300FWS
Jeep Wrangler Toad
VTX 1800 Scooter
BCRider is offline   Reply With Quote