Old 09-15-2016, 08:11 AM   #11
7 Year Class A RV'er

I have to agree with AquaMan...mine is a 2014 Wrangler Unlimited (no modifications) and it cruises like a champ. Smooth as a baby's bottom, unless it gets windy. That can be a different story. Sounds like you had something wrong. Jeeps (real ones, not the Patriots, etc.) aren't meant to be luxury vehicles and a lot of folks don't understand that when they buy one.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 12:20 PM   #12

I agree with aquaman too. We have a 2 door wrangler rubicon and it is the best toad to take on camping trips
Basically goes anywhere, and soo easy to tow. And since it's about the length of a minicooper, fits into small spaces when we do go to town.

Old 09-16-2016, 05:41 PM   #13

UNLOCKED While going forward.
LOCKED straight ahead while backing up.
Marvin
Old 09-16-2016, 06:23 PM   #14
7 Year Class A RV'er

What year is your Jeep? Mine is a 2014 and doesn't have a steering wheel lock. Jeep did away with them several years ago yo make it easier to tow.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:05 PM   #15

Mine 2013
No lock
Old 09-22-2016, 02:02 PM   #16

UNlocked. No sway problems with my 2012 Wrangler. Best thing is follow directions in the owners manual.
Blue OX
cberlanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 02:17 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA_Boy View Post
UNLOCKED While going forward.
LOCKED straight ahead while backing up.
Marvin
Never EVER backup when your toad is hooked to the tow bar.

After all, they are called tow bars and not back-up bars for a reason

Seriously though In a extreme emergency you might be able to back your toad 1-3' with no damage. Why? The front wheels will not track in reverse like they do when the toad is traveling forward.

Why? Simple; the steering axle of the car being towed is free to track wherever it wants, as soon as you start backwards it will immediately turn the wheels; now you are not 'backing' you are skidding the car sideways, with the front wheels turned all the way to the stops.

If you need to back up when towing just suck it up and unhook - I have had to do that a couple of times, and I know it is a PITA, but It's the only safe way to do it.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post

Seriously though In a extreme emergency you might be able to back your toad 1-3' with no damage. Why? The front wheels will not track in reverse like they do when the toad is traveling forward.

Why? Simple; the steering axle of the car being towed is free to track wherever it wants, as soon as you start backwards it will immediately turn the wheels; now you are not 'backing' you are skidding the car sideways, with the front wheels turned all the way to the sto

If you need to back up when towing just suck it up and unhook - I have had to do that a couple of times, and I know it is a PITA, but It's the only safe way to do it.
With all due respect you know nothing about which you speak.
I have been backing towed vehicles since 1986. You are just promoting an old wives tale.
I have been backing TOADS since 1986.
When backing just lock the steering in the straight ahead position and back it like a trailer. Unlock when moving forward. Sure the front wheels will semi-drag but so what, you can still back up and the drag will not appreciably put more wear on the front tires.
You may not be able to figure it out but others will understand and save themselves some time then the emergency need to back up occurs.
BTW, here is a picture of what I had to back up without unhooking for over 100 feet. This was thanks to some idiot blocking one exit at a Cracker Barrel. I had to pull up 10 ft and backup 20 ft, pull up 10 BU 20 etc but I got it done. I don't pull double any more since retiring.
Marvin
Old 09-22-2016, 07:40 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post

Why? Simple; the steering axle of the car being towed is free to track wherever it wants, as soon as you start backwards it will immediately turn the wheels; now you are not 'backing' you are skidding the car sideways, with the front wheels turned all the way to the stop

With all due respect you know nothing about which you speak.
I have been backing towed vehicles since 1986. You are just promoting an old wives tale.
I have been backing TOADS since 1986.
When backing just lock the steering in the straight ahead position and back it like a trailer. Unlock when moving forward. Sure the front wheels will semi-drag but so what, you can still back up and the drag will not appreciably put more wear on the front tires.
You may not be able to figure it out but others will understand and save themselves some time then the emergency need to back up occurs.
BTW, here is a picture of what I had to back up without unhooking for over 100 feet. This was thanks to some idiot blocking one exit at a Cracker Barrel. I had to pull up 10 ft and backup 20 ft, pull up 10 BU 20 etc but I got it done. I don't pull double any more since retiring.
Marvin
PS, I don't think you really understood my post when I stated to back up steering LOCKED straight ahead.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:48 PM   #20
DW's Retirement Plan

There ya go, Bob.... double whammy-ed!

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life...
DaGrinch is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad