Old 09-27-2016, 08:23 AM   #21

LOL I saw that - I guess one post was not enough

I am not sure what sort of tow system GA Boy has - man that is a long train

Anyway, I will stand corrected with this caveat: Motorhomes that flat tow a vehicle behind them should not and can not safely back up their TOAD. (Check FMCA, Escapees, Good Sam and other major Motorhome clubs and their towing guides).

GA Boy is free to back that contraption of his as much as he so desires

Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:39 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA_Boy View Post
UNLOCKED While going forward.
LOCKED straight ahead while backing up.
Marvin
That's really not something anyone should do anytime. Blue Ox tow bars are designed to be strong when towing, they are not designed to be compressed while backing up! If you don't believe me, give Blue Ox a call and see their reaction to backing up with their bar.

2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
12 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:23 AM   #23
7 Year Class A RV'er

Obvious issues with backing a towed vehicle aside, GA Boy's profile indicates he actually does live in GA. Unless his profile is out of date (entirely possible), I would highly suggest he look at the current state towing laws: Towing Laws by State. Triple tow, which is what his photograph clearly shows, is ILLEGAL in the State of Georgia, and quite a few other states for that matter. Maybe those GA Patrol boys need to be paying him a visit with photographic evidence in hand.....

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:43 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
Obvious issues with backing a towed vehicle aside, GA Boy's profile indicates he actually does live in GA. Unless his profile is out of date (entirely possible), I would highly suggest he look at the current state towing laws: Towing Laws by State. Triple tow, which is what his photograph clearly shows, is ILLEGAL in the State of Georgia, and quite a few other states for that matter. Maybe those GA Patrol boys need to be paying him a visit with photographic evidence in hand.....
Ok, I will bite. I see a fifth wheel, that would be a single tow. I see a car, that would be a double tow. What is the third item that is being towed that would classify it as a triple tow?
Old 09-27-2016, 10:51 AM   #25
7 Year Class A RV'er

Triple tow is just the terminology. Some folks refer to it as a double tow, but triple tow is the tow vehicle plus two trailers, etc. I had the same question and actually Googled "double tow" to get to the information. Good question, though!

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 11:44 AM   #26

DO NOT BACK UP WITH YOUR TOAD.... There, got that out of the way...

With that said, I take full responsibility for my toad, my tow bar, and any damage that may result when I ignore that warning from the my tow bar manufacture.

I'm with GA-Boy -- I also back up my toad. not a big deal, I do it several times a year. If you decide you want to attempt this death defying leap, I urge you find a large parking lot, and practice, and observe how the toad behaves when backing. You will probably find that you can go a long way while straight, and may even be able to make very minor turns. If you decide to do some more aggressive turning, you'll see what happens to the front wheels, i.e. will they follow the turn (some will) or will they caster to the end stop.

Will you damage the tow bar? As the manufacture clearly states, If you jackknife, yes, you will damage the bar and your toad. SOLUTION, don't jackknife.

I submit that the stress I place on a tow bar while backing are equal to, or less than the stress I place on the tow bar when traveling down the highway and I hit my brakes. The bar doesn't know if the toad is trying to push the MH forward while braking, or the MH is trying to push the toad backwards.

At this point in the discussion, someone will point out that their toad has an auxiliary braking system, so the tow bar isn't exposed to the forces of the toad pushing on the MH.

I reply that if the tow bar manufacture required you to have a braking system so that their bar wouldn't be exposed to these types of forces, than that should be clearly spelled out in their sales literature.

i.e. "You MUST have an approved auxiliary braking system installed when using our tow bar, else damage to the bar a, tow vehicle, and toad will result."

LOCKING THE STEERING COLUMN WHEN BACKING.

On my civic, the front wheels would caster ok and follow gentle turns while backing, I can easily see the front wheels in my mirrors, so I know if they are caster correctly while backing.

However, on my Vue, the wheels want to caster to an end stop even in a minor turns, so if I want to back it any distance or into a parking spot, I either lock the wheel and accept any sideways scrubbing, or the DW hops in the car and guides the steering to follow the turn, or we disconnect. This all depends on the situation.

Once again - backing a toad can be done, and done safely and without damage to any equipment. HOWEVER - If you are not comfortable in taking the time to practice, or you just don't want to take any chances, THEN DON'T DO IT.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:00 PM   #27

My favorite..

For all you wooies who say you can't back up a double... YAWN.. Wake me up after you seen this..

https://youtu.be/iX9ZPmQgiZI

Old 09-27-2016, 02:18 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
I didn't state whether it was legal or not, I just stated what I did and what was possible. I think I pulled that rig through and in 30 + states and NEVER got questioned. I was over length-------72'10" O/A but still never questioned. All the states, I believe allowed Truckers pulling double.
The State Patrol has more to do than pull over someone not speeding and traveling in the right hand lane. What I did wasn't nearly as dangerous as these Idiots doing 80MPH dipping and darting from lane to lane.
Marvin
Old 09-27-2016, 02:49 PM   #29

i do it all the time

I get my wife to go in the car and hold the steering wheel straight. When i'm finished i drive away. Very quiet for the rest of the trip. But when you stop next time all hell breaks loose when the wife gets out of the TOAD. Ain't Alzheimer great.

2011 Gergetown 378 TS XL on a Workhorse W22 chassis

Toad is a 2014 Chevy Cruze RS
Moorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 05:11 PM   #30

ROFL ^^^^

Tags
toad