Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2017, 09:15 PM   #21

Nancyc7:

Here's the 2017 Crosstrek owners manual. See page 9-13.

http://www.buddssubaru.com/assets/xv...ner-Manual.pdf

Not sure it really covers flat towing as a normal occurrence. Pg 9-16 deals with flat-towing. Says transmission in manual, but never says anything about manual vs auto transmission.

If you do need a manual transmission, you'll most likely have to order one. I don't see many on-line.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 03:44 PM   #22

Love my Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk

I went with a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk because it's a lot lighter than a Wrangler and more comfortable for my daily commute. There's lots of fun videos of Cherokee Trailhawks out on the trails.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1942.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	295.9 KB
ID:	131674   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1944.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	505.5 KB
ID:	131675  
Old 03-12-2017, 04:34 PM   #23

Like the trail hawks
But wanted a 2 door convertible that could be towed. Wrangler only choice,weighs about the same, "fun" factor great. For a daily driver your trailhawk way better.
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 07:33 PM   #24

Toading a Subaru, Jeep, or your favorite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy81 View Post
I went with a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk because it's a lot lighter than a Wrangler and more comfortable for my daily commute. There's lots of fun videos of Cherokee Trailhawks out on the trails.

I'll give you comfort with the Trailhawk.

Semantics on Curb Weight:

Trailhawk = 4028#
Wrangler = 4132#

Wrangler, doors off, top down and wind in your hair

It really comes down to what you're looking for in a toad. To each their own!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0612.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	349.1 KB
ID:	131705
2018 Coachmen Chaparral 338 TSIK
2016 (Seasonal Site) Chariot Park Model
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
Jmsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 07:23 PM   #25

Toading a Subaru, Jeep, or your favorite?

Just checked my brand new 2017 towing guide and Subarus are not even listed. That tells me that Subaru no longer offers manual transmissions. Tell me it ain't so. My 2014 Outback tows well with no issue. Good luck on finding a GOOD used manual Subaru. I ordered and purchased new because I could not find a GOOD used one. So sad.
I might would find a used cheap Fiat 500 to drag around.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 05:32 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
Just checked my brand new 2017 towing guide and Subarus are not even listed. That tells me that Subaru no longer offers manual transmissions. Tell me it ain't so. My 2014 Outback tows well with no issue. Good luck on finding a GOOD used manual Subaru. I ordered and purchased new because I could not find a GOOD used one. So sad.
I might would find a used cheap Fiat 500 to drag around.
The Impreza, Crosstrek, Forrester, WRX, are still available with a manual trans. 5 speed in the Impreza and Crosstrek, 6 speed in the Forrester and WRX.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:44 PM   #27
Sunseeker 2400MBW

My husband says FIAT stands for "Fix it again Tony" They're so cute, I would love one.
Everything seems to get so complicated when you start researching.
And used manual Subarus are not real available. A low option Forester is not super heavy and so much more roomy than a Crosstrek. Of course the more room you have the more stuff you feel like you can have. We have decided to quit looking at a vehicle to tow until June. We're going on a month long trip to northern Italy the middle of April and need to focus on that vacation.

One factoid I learned recently is Blue Ox was developed on the east coast. On the west coast, Roadmaster Co. was started. We live in Seattle, I couldn't figure it out, all I hear about is Blue Ox and when you go to a RV place there are none around. Of course, you can order anything anywhere. My husband did a lot of research and just bought a used Roadmaster tow bar, we just have to get the adaptors when we decide on this infamous Toad.

We won't buy anything until we talk to the manufacturers. Y'all are so helpful!!! The Forum Rules!!!
Nancyc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 02:08 PM   #28

X2 on FIAT = Fix It Again, Tony

The Fiat 500 is on the bottom of Consumer Reports list of sub compact cars.

Old 03-15-2017, 07:23 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
The Impreza, Crosstrek, Forrester, WRX, are still available with a manual trans. 5 speed in the Impreza and Crosstrek, 6 speed in the Forrester and WRX.

Grumpy

Grump, wonder why they are not listed in the 2017 towing guide.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:17 PM   #30

My local Subaru dealer only had 3 new ones with manual transmissions and they are all WRX's.

Found 5 manual Crosstreks in Chicago; so they ARE out there, but not a lot of them. As I said in a prior post, the owners manual doesn't talk about it.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:19 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyc7 View Post
My husband says FIAT stands for "Fix it again Tony" They're so cute, I would love one.
And used manual Subarus are not real available. A low option Forester is not super heavy and so much more roomy than a Crosstrek. Of course the more room you have the more stuff you feel like you can have. We have decided to quit looking at a vehicle to tow until June. We're going on a month long trip to northern Italy the middle of April and need to focus on that vacation.

One factoid I learned recently is Blue Ox was developed on the east coast. On the west coast, Roadmaster Co. was started. We live in Seattle, I couldn't figure it out, all I hear about is Blue Ox and when you go to a RV place there are none around. Of course, you can order anything anywhere. My husband did a lot of research and just bought a used Roadmaster tow bar, we just have to get the adaptors when we decide on this infamous Toad.

We won't buy anything until we talk to the manufacturers. Y'all are so helpful!!! The Forum Rules!!!

We also decided to try a toad, but I was concerned about the added weight and reduced fuel economy on our 2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W. We spoke with a couple that had a similar unit at a campground in Texas, and they really talked up the Chevy Spark... the stick shift version tows 4 down, and weighs 2300 lbs. Took it for a test drive, and it is pretty impressive for its size. We went with Blue Ox, ordered all the stuff online, and the installation was pretty OK, about 12 hours for the tow plate and wiring (BIG $ savings over dealer install, over $2K!) The Jeep would really be ideal for back roads and the fun factor, but Sparky is fun to drive and was a real value. With Sparky, 13 mpg, w/o 15 mpg).

Enjoy the ride!

Bob & Cynthia.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:03 AM   #32
Sunseeker 2400MBW

Hi Bob and Cynthia,

I read about your Spark when you originally posted, but we need a carrier for 2 kayaks and 2 bicycles, higher clearance and 4 wheel drive. The kayaks aren't huge, ~45lbs each but the carrier, bike rack, that stuff adds up.

I did call Subaru of USA yesterday, even though I said I was giving up the search til the June. They said you CAN tow a manual 4 wheels down, follow instructions in owners manual about the settings.

You can "chat" with them online and I think I am going to do that and screenshot the chat. Yes, I am a little paranoid.

And I have to look at the Honda HRV, I've always had great luck with Hondas and the HRV is less than 3000lbs, the lightest one on my husband's Toad Spreadsheet

My husband is pretty handy and has a ton of tools. I think he could install all that towing business, no problem. But, he's scared of the wiring. One could install everything and have somebody do the wiring I guess. Did y'all "You-Tube education" the wiring also?
Nancyc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:05 PM   #33

Quote:
Hi Bob and Cynthia,

I read about your Spark when you originally posted, but we need a carrier for 2 kayaks and 2 bicycles, higher clearance and 4 wheel drive. The kayaks aren't huge, ~45lbs each but the carrier, bike rack, that stuff adds up.

I did call Subaru of USA yesterday, even though I said I was giving up the search til the June. They said you CAN tow a manual 4 wheels down, follow instructions in owners manual about the settings.

You can "chat" with them online and I think I am going to do that and screenshot the chat. Yes, I am a little paranoid.

And I have to look at the Honda HRV, I've always had great luck with Hondas and the HRV is less than 3000lbs, the lightest one on my husband's Toad Spreadsheet

My husband is pretty handy and has a ton of tools. I think he could install all that towing business, no problem. But, he's scared of the wiring. One could install everything and have somebody do the wiring I guess. Did y'all "You-Tube education" the wiring also?

I get the need for bikes/kayaks killing the Spark... I can get the one bike we transport inside the Spark, which is great for the bike, as the "outside exposure on the back of the RV" is really rough on the bike.

Regarding the wiring, both Blue Ox and Roadmaster offer kits for the tail lights... I decided to go with the kit that adds bulbs to the existing lens assembly so there was no chance of disturbing the existing wiring. Pretty easy to do on the Spark. There are good instructions with the Blue Ox kit, and videos on various hitch-selling web sites.

If you can have your coach hitch plug tested, good idea. My plug was mis-wired at the factory, and caused a lot of confusion and problems.

Good luck!
Old 03-17-2017, 02:29 PM   #34

Quote:
Hi Bob and Cynthia,

I am not sure if you can flat tow the HRV, it has the CVT transmission, that's why we chose the 2014 CRV. I fitted the Blue Ox baseplate, the wiring for the lights and the breakaway. Took a while but all works fine
Royston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 08:49 PM   #35

Quote:

Blue Ox is in Nebraska, was just there last week getting an install at the factory.
knockando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 02:27 AM   #36

If you aren't fussy about a nice ride .. get a jeep!! Every trip is white knuckle trip in crosswind .. we bought a new jeep with the intentions to tow it but it was so miserable to drive on the highway ...we sold it within a year ...

We parked our beautiful murano and now tow a 2007 Suzuki grand vatara ... easy peasy to tow! We picked it up in Kijiji with the complete towing package for 8000 Canadian. That was a good value and we haven't looked back so far
colourful64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad