Old 08-04-2016, 03:20 PM   #21

I have a diesel and have checked the mileage using tow and not using tow several times and found that there is no difference in the mileage. And I like the fact that it saves my breaks on both my truck and my trailer.

Okie

08 F450
USMC Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 03:48 PM   #22

I tend to leave it on while towing. Yes, it sometimes doesn't do what I want. Sometimes when I want to just coast, it will take this as me wanting to slow down and it will downshift for me. If that happens, I'll just switch it off temporarily.

I know a lot of people are thinking that the downshifting is only helpful in the mountains but I was thinking I'd like to have that extra help in stopping if I have to do a panic stop - but I'm not really clear on this.

On a flat road, if I have to brake hard, will the tranny downshifting because it's in Tow mode help me stop quicker? I don't know if the help from the downshift is overwhelmed by the much larger braking force from the brakes or if "every little bit helps" in this situation.

Anyone have any insight into this?

Old 08-04-2016, 07:38 PM   #23

I was out West in April with my E450 MH and I only used it when going down steep grades. I found that before starting down I would put it in tow mode hit my brakes to the speed I wanted and just let the transmission brake the MH.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:50 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmhudg View Post
I tend to leave it on while towing. Yes, it sometimes doesn't do what I want. Sometimes when I want to just coast, it will take this as me wanting to slow down and it will downshift for me. If that happens, I'll just switch it off temporarily.

I know a lot of people are thinking that the downshifting is only helpful in the mountains but I was thinking I'd like to have that extra help in stopping if I have to do a panic stop - but I'm not really clear on this.

On a flat road, if I have to brake hard, will the tranny downshifting because it's in Tow mode help me stop quicker? I don't know if the help from the downshift is overwhelmed by the much larger braking force from the brakes or if "every little bit helps" in this situation.

Anyone have any insight into this?
Yes, just try a controlled quick stop,and you will notice a considerable diffenence
With it on versus off. I have an F250 and use mine anytime I'm towing just for that purpose, especially in town traffic. I have not seen any difference in fuel economy and on flat roads cruise along in 6th gear until I come to an overpass and will maintain 6th most of the time.

I read my manual and it said you don't need to use it unless in hills or mtns. I did not see any warning that said I would damage the truck or the tranny of I did engage it.

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:05 PM   #25

Always use it when towing. But in steep mtns like here in Colorado, I disengage it and manually downshift and use my experiencec and common sense to keep rig at a safe downhill speed.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:08 PM   #26

I only use it in the mountains. Mainly for the transmission/engine braking going downhill. Every place else I just use regular mode. It also looked to me that my mileage is a bit better, 1 or 2 mpg, by not using it for driving on your typical flat to somewhat hilly highways.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:16 PM   #27

I only use it when towing in the mountains and going up steep grades. Flat level...no tow/haul. Gas mileage really suffers if you do it all the time.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:22 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_h View Post
I only use it in the mountains. Mainly for the transmission/engine braking going downhill. Every place else I just use regular mode. It also looked to me that my mileage is a bit better, 1 or 2 mpg, by not using it for driving on your typical flat to somewhat hilly highways.
I had an F150 EB, it does not have engine brakes... My F150 would downshift but had such little engine pressure it did very little to slow the truck.

Much different in a diesel. When the engine brake on the diesel engages it grabs hold hard.

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:37 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
I had an F150 EB, it does not have engine brakes... My F150 would downshift but had such little engine pressure it did very little to slow the truck.

Much different in a diesel. When the engine brake on the diesel engages it grabs hold hard.
It did a good job for me the last time we came down out of Black Mountain. Kept us around 35 mph for the most part. With the old Explorer I would have been using a lot of brake to keep that speed even using lower gears. Of course I don't tow a lot of weight with our TT coming in around 3100 lbs loaded.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:35 AM   #30

Those of us with a F53/V10 the tow mode reveals a gear not available in the non tow mode. At 60mph in the tow mode, my 2013 Georgetown shifts to a gear that pull's most medium hills without shifting to the dredded 4.5k rpm noise gear. I tend to use to tow mode only when I'm on the highway in the hills and need the power to climb or the drivetrain to slow down.