Old 08-05-2016, 08:05 AM   #31
Originally Posted by robbdrell View Post
Always use it when towing. But in steep mtns like here in Colorado, I disengage it and manually downshift and use my experiencec and common sense to keep rig at a safe downhill speed.
Agree. On a recent trip through hilly Georgia/TN/NC, I was finding that since I could see upcoming downgrades well before the trans could feel it, I found it very effective to manually start the slowing process by just locking out the top gears as I needed. A couple of times, I took it out of Tow mode and just used the lock out toggle to tweak my speed up and down without even touching the brakes. It was actually kind of fun!

2015 268RKS Vibe Xtreme Lite
2012 F-150 EcoSCREW Max Tow
tmhudg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 12:06 PM   #32
Originally Posted by keith_h View Post
I only use it in the mountains. Mainly for the transmission/engine braking going downhill. Every place else I just use regular mode. It also looked to me that my mileage is a bit better, 1 or 2 mpg, by not using it for driving on your typical flat to somewhat hilly highways.
X2 on this and many other similar answers.
YOU should experiment with you own driving style. From my experience for example driving down the interstate highway say at the same speed as some semi trucks then you come to a moderate down hill grade. When NOT in tow mode there will be a increase in coasting speed the same as the semi does. When you start up a moderate grade say in cruise control it will maintain speed fine. At this time the semi may fall back more in speed than you.
IF IN TOW MODE the braking action that the transmission goes into will slow you down and maintain cruise control set speed or if not in cruise will slow down below your flat land speed if you let off the gas. Going up grade the shift points are changed dropping into lower gears to climb the grade.
RESULT is the semi will pass you down hill then you may catch up going up hill and possibly pass him.
I find driving similar to the traffic that may be going my speed is easier than jockeying positions all the time.
LARGE HILLS is another story use TOW MODE or manual shift if that works better.

Whatever you find works best for you is the way to go.
Enjoy your new toy and GET OUTDOORS.

2012 Coachman Leprechaun 319DSF

TOAD -2011 Chevrolet Equinox 4-cyl. AWD
Souris River Canoe leTigre Quetico 17
Old Town Canoe Penobscot 17 Royalex
Pathfinder75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 02:24 PM   #33
The person is right, read your owners manual. The shift points and timing is changed for hills and engine braking occurs when applying the brakes twice when going down a grade. You can use to we/ haul mode if you are towing a heavy loads, but for best fuel economy don't use tow/ haul mode on level roads.
jimmyt11664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:56 AM   #34
Chief tinkerer
WOW. Hi Sharp, great thread! I leave it on. I like the modified shift points and figure it might also keep the brakes a little cooler and possibly last a little longer. Related...? I would like an option on the Cruise to select throttle lock vs MPH lock for that little MPG help. Sometimes if I'm bored I kick off the cruise and hold the pedal steady, let speed drift down a little going up grades. Helps maintain flow with the big trucks. Ttyl

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is online now   Reply With Quote