Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2018, 05:11 PM   #1

Towing a toad 4 down what do I need

I have been reading up on towing a toad from michigan to Florida. Seems the best easiest way is 4 down so what all do I need I see a towbar something about breaks something about lights. What is the complete list of items? Thank you in advance new to motorhome. Just traded in my 5th wheel
popeye305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 05:29 PM   #2

1st make sure that the vehicle that you are towing 4 down can be towed that way without trans damage............

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 01:57 PM   #3

The list will vary slightly, depending on the vehicle you want to tow.

Here's how my previous motorhome and Jeep were setup:
TOAD

Our current Jeep has an aftermarket front bumper, with welded D-Ring mounts. This is where I attach the towbar. Didn't need the baseplate kit.

All the other parts on the website were used for my current setup. Note that the prices have increased since 2005!

The only thing different that I added was a Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake system. It's a box that sits on the driver side floorboard, and has a pneumatic piston that connects to the Jeep's brake pedal. A receiver connects to the box in the Jeep. The transmitter goes in the motorhome. When the motorhome brakes hard enough, a signal is transmitted to the receiver in the Jeep, and the pneumatic piston pushes the brake pedal. Slick setup, but expensive. New, this sells for $1400. I paid $450 for a used one on eBay, and had to spend $100 to replace the broken brake pedal clamp, and the missing break away switch. Works great now.

Roadmaster and Blue Ox are two of the major companies with the necessary hardware. Both make excellent equipment.
https://www.2manytoyz.com/
2manytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 07:25 PM   #4
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeye305 View Post
I have been reading up on towing a toad from michigan to Florida. Seems the best easiest way is 4 down so what all do I need I see a towbar something about breaks something about lights. What is the complete list of items? Thank you in advance new to motorhome. Just traded in my 5th wheel
ANY vehicle can be towed 4 down if you have deep enough pockets to modify it.

To be sure if the make and model, 4 or 6 cylinder, FWD or AWD or 4X4, can be towed 4 down, it HAS to be in the owners manual under a heading typically labled “recreational towing” meaning your vehicle can be towed......NOT what or how heavy something is that can be towed..

Also....look here over the various model years for info.......

Downloadable Dinghy Towing Guides | MotorHome Magazine

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 08:21 AM   #5

I have a video of how I tow a Jeep Wrangler. Whatever vehicle you have or get may/will vary a bit from this but the principles are the same. Tow bar & breake away chains/cables to a bracket (or bumper in my case) on the vehicle. Wiring to activate brake lights with the motor home. Wire to active brake away switch on the brake controller if that is what you use.

There are systems where the tow bars compress and this causes a cable to be pulled that hooks to your brakes. That way you don't need a battery powered brake controller. I would go that route next time myself. Check Ready Brute and Blue Ox for those. Not sure if they work for every vehicle or just certain models.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:40 AM   #6

are you saying that you are only wanting this 'set up' for a single trip from MI to FL?
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 08:47 AM   #7

while everyone who 'tows' their car or vehicle will probably tell you that their's is the best vehicle and the best towing system... there's not a large or varying difference between most, only the vehicle you are most comfortable towing, the one that meets your criteria of comfort, usage, weight, and ease of set-up.

if you want a nice, easy, simply way to easily and quickly tow a 4-door smaller vehicle, with automatic transmission, then the Ford brand has many to choose from, especially the Fiesta, Focus, and others. They are easy to find, even in the used market, which I suggest, easy to add the tow plate to(you can use any 4wd or aftermarket truck shop who can easily install it), and can easily add the additional wiring harness and bulbs to the rear tail lights. The towbar system is your choice- they'll all do the job.

or, you could just rent a uhaul tow-dolly and get used to towing that way, before making a $1,000 to $1,500 'investment' in a 4-down towing setup.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 01:57 PM   #8

I’ll be going to Florida every winter is my plan. Read the owners manuel of my Pontiac torrent. It can not be towed 4 down so I guess I go with a dolly setup. Thanks all.
popeye305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:07 PM   #9
Kanadian Kamper

Pontiac Torrent.

Is yours 2WD or 4WD or AWD?

Usually....and I repeat....usually, ONLY 2WD can be dolly towed.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad, towing