Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2015, 03:29 PM   #21

Following
jmgllt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 01:15 PM   #22
Site Team

We just picked up our Acme Hydraulic Disc Brake dolly Wednesday morning. The Acme plant is a well laid out professional operation and the customer service was great. The info and tips we were given during the "PDI" made the trip well worth it for us. Definitely good folks to deal with...

Since we were towing the dolly home unloaded they showed us how to minimize unloaded dolly bounce. Just drop the tire air pressure down to 35PSI from the normal 70PSI. That allows the tires to absorb some of the road shock and worked very well on both interstate highways and coming home across secondary roads from Asheville, NC.

I have an appointment next week to have a Curt hitch put on our C-Max TOAD so it can haul the dolly over to our "W" when we are going to tow it. Hmm, does that create a TOAD with a TOAD??? Anyway...now I need to get busy a build a base like Bob Hanke's to store the dolly in our garage.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:52 PM   #23

Be sure you have wire ties around the lights. I lost both of our grommets and one light during our last trip.
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 02:44 PM   #24

jlfigola;

Before you run out and buy a dolly, you probably need to verify that you can tow it with the rear wheels on the ground. You may some type of drive shaft disconnect or hub locks or something?
Old 09-04-2015, 03:29 PM   #25

In general, all front wheel drive cars are compatible for front wheel up towing on a dolly. The complications arise when deciding if and how to four wheel down tow. FMCA has lists by model year of most car brands and models telling if and how to tow each one separated by automatic and manual transmissions.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:47 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHanke View Post
Be sure you have wire ties around the lights. I lost both of our grommets and one light during our last trip.
Thanks for the info. I'd already planned on tweaking the wiring a bit by adding more ties and some wire loom to better protect the wiring harness.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:13 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHanke View Post
In general, all front wheel drive cars are compatible for front wheel up towing on a dolly. The complications arise when deciding if and how to four wheel down tow. FMCA has lists by model year of most car brands and models telling if and how to tow each one separated by automatic and manual transmissions.

Where do I find that information on FMCA?
jmgllt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 05:46 PM   #28

Family Motor Coaching magazine's annual compilations of cars, trucks and SUVs that have been approved by their manufacturers for flat towing behind a motorhome. (You must be signed in as an FMCA member or FMC magazine subscriber to access the Towing Guides.) FMCA.com
Old 09-04-2015, 08:11 PM   #29

Thank you RedLdr1 and waitre21
jimrf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing