Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2018, 11:19 AM   #1

Travel w/motorhome w/o towing

So I'm looking at buying a class A after owning a 5th wheel for a few years and I'm wondering if anyone who owns a motorhome travels w/o towing another vehicle. I'm thinking that I can Uber or rent a car most anywhere I go (I do not dry camp, at least so far). Any thoughts, suggestions, warnings, etc? Thanx!
JGCTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:46 AM   #2

Been doing it for several years rent from Enterprise when I need a car they pick you up and drop you off
Dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 12:28 PM   #3

While we towed our Fiesta over 40k miles for the first few years of full-timing, when we went to Canada and Alaska the summer of '17, we had no toad... instead we had a rack with a Kyak, and some tiltable Solar panels, on the hitch... really never missed the toad. Our Palazzo is a vehicle itself, so anywhere we wanted to go, it went with us : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:08 PM   #4

X2 on no toad and rental car. I try to camp within bicycle range of a grocery and hardware store.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 06:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgcarter56 View Post
So I'm looking at buying a class A after owning a 5th wheel for a few years and I'm wondering if anyone who owns a motorhome travels w/o towing another vehicle. I'm thinking that I can Uber or rent a car most anywhere I go (I do not dry camp, at least so far). Any thoughts, suggestions, warnings, etc? Thanx!
i'm considering similar; maybe i'm getting too old for the 5th wheel

options are:
bicycle
electric bicycle
folding bicycle
very small motorcycle, or a larger one
walking
uber
car rental on occasion, if needed
public transportation, greyhound, amtrak, etc etc

it's [sort of] simple, just go without, and if needed you can always get one in the future...[this is my plan]

and let's not forget the cost of owning a vehicle; $50-$100 a week?

good luck
marc
Old 12-14-2018, 07:22 PM   #6

We always have our mini segway's on board. But we usually are towing something, either cargo trailer, Jeep, or sedan...
Dp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 07:57 PM   #7
Multi-Slacker

We spent about 4 yrs in a Class C with no toad. For "local" trips we were taking 2 vehicles. Hated having to break camp to get groceries or see anything. Wound up renting for Yellowstone. Not much room or place to pull a motorhome off the road in national parks. People park their MHs half on the road all the time. Not very considerate. A Class B may be maneuverable enough to get away without a toad.

We came down on the side of truck and trailer (well, I did.) When the dog is not in the picture a B may be in our future.
Old 12-20-2018, 01:48 AM   #8

We're looking at revisiting this option. Ten years ago, the early trips with a 40' class A and no toad weren't good. Since then, we've always towed a Jeep or car. We're moving to an Isata 3, which we can store on our driveway with very limited space. It's small enough to (maybe) get by without towing.

We're picking up a new 24FW on Saturday. I think it's going to work well. The full wall slide, reclining love seat, etc seem to make it a very livable coach with a much smaller footprint.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 04:52 AM   #9

I've done both- Its not what you need, but what make you happy. (really don't need a 40 ft rv)
Places like Bar Harbor Me,Lake George NY and other popular places have great shuttle buses. Other places like Lancaster PA you need a car or to move the RV.

I did a 2200 mile trip this summer around Nova Scotia, without a toad (would not want one on those roads) The RV moved every day except when near Halifax we took a cab.

I was traveling with a toad and dolly, next year I'll be flat towing my new pickup truck.
Old 12-20-2018, 06:24 AM   #10
Wait till next year...

We've always towed.For us ,I guess it's a lifestyle thing. We're out and about early and away from camp most of the day and prefer driving our own vehicle to renting. Plus considered the toad our lifeboat in case of a problem with MH
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 08:05 AM   #11
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgcarter56 View Post
My question is why would you want to go to a MH when you got fairly new camper and nice new pick up. Have you also thought about the extra expense of up keep for MH. I had a MH once and never again an nope did not have a toad should have tho. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 08:26 AM   #12

traveling/vacationing in a Motorhome with any additional vehicle is not as big a deal as some might fear - unless you are constantly going to be leaving the rv park or campground to do other 'things'. We've towed our Focus sometimes for days without unhooking it, or needing to. We went thru western Canada, around Alaska, and back thru the western states last year, without a toad, for two months. Didn't miss it.
We had our toad while in Chicago back in 2015, parking at the McCormick place marshalling yard for the night, but still decided to get an uber to the House of Blues for a Christian concert, rather than drive the Focus and have to find a place to park, and the high fees that go with it - but that's the only time we've ever used anything other than our toad. When we don't have the toad with us, we drive the Motorhome where we want to go - it's a vehicle with wheels.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 10:56 AM   #13

I always tow the Jeep Grand Cherokee with the coach.

Although renting a car or Uber could be another way to manage the transportation during camp, I always want to have a backup during the transition between locations. What if something went wrong such as engine failure, flat tire, or an emergency, or anything that related with that during a long trip, it is always a sure thing with a small car than to rush with the coach or no additional wheel at all.
tamdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 11:52 AM   #14
World Wide Wanderer

We have been doing the Class C without the toad for a couple of years, so far it hasn't been an issue. It takes some planning, but is very doable. Everyone's needs are going to be different.

Our last big trip of the year was to Pigeon Forge, TN in mid-November for a week. The campgrounds were all with in walking distance of stuff and the PF trolley was available if needed.

We are of the type that once we get somewhere we plan to stay in the campground and not go traipsing around. If we do plan to leave the campground we will schedule a rental or Uber/Lyft. We did that in New Orleans last year and it worked well.

Another campground we stay at near Savannah (CreekFire Motor Ranch) has a shuttle service into town. Lots of options, choose the one that works best for your needs.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 11:48 AM   #15

This is why we are eventually going back to a trailer..unfortunately motorhomes are rare in our area, dealers don't want them on trade.
retireearly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, towing, travel