Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2019, 01:58 AM   #1
Senior Gold Member

Travelling in Freezing Temperatures

This winter will be the first time we head South in January in our Sunseeker 3020 DS class C. It will be two long days heading straight South in winter temperatures before we can de- winterize somewhere near Wichita KS. We are not sure what it’s going to be like trying to keep warm as we drive the first two days. Will we need snowmobile suits or will the truck heater keep us comfortable. Do people run the furnace while driving? Can we expect condensation or frost on the RV windows. We would appreciate hearing what other Northern motorhome travellers do to be cozy as they drive.
Old 10-19-2019, 08:33 AM   #2

I traveled many times in my class A in below zero weather I used a combination of the coach heater and my dash heater (from the engine) and nothing froze up. If you have to have a snowmobile suit on there is something lacking in your rig.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 09:00 AM   #3

I would think that your dash heater should keep ya warm . When stopping for the nite and running coach furnace be sure and keep a watch on the house batteries as they may not make it thru the nite ! Maybe a small propane little buddy heater ?
wanderingbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 01:38 PM   #4
Site Team

We hang a floor to ceiling length lined curtain behind the cab area in our Sunseeker. It keeps the cold air, or heat , in the cab area and also helps keep the noise level down. Two four foot wide curtains, hemmed to length, and a expandable curtain rod work very well for us.
Old 10-19-2019, 07:52 PM   #5

Hi Winnipeg!
We are north of you in Stonewall!
Several years we have gone as far as the nearest State Campground in MN or ND, depending on the weather. They have all-season campground, so you can use electric. Use water from a jug overnite for washing and flushing. After that you should be reachable to campgrounds that are open all year AND you can hook up!
ross0547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 11:00 PM   #6

We have a 23 foot Forest River Sun Seeker motor home and traveled from Ottawa to Orlando in February.
I had the unit oil sprayed to keep road salt and calcium etc from doing it thing on the unit, and flushed with pink.
We found just the truck heater kept the unit warm for driving and didn't resort to turning on the furnace.
We didn't try to overnight in the snow belt, but stayed in hotels along the way until we got into warmer weather.
I winterized the unit on the trip back.
Cold Lake Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 02:45 AM   #7

I travel alot in the winter months. I insulate all the windows and skylights with foam core boards or reflectix. I put the foam pillow inserts in the ceiling vents. At night I hang a thick blanket to block off the cab which has the most heat loss and also use reflectix window covers in the cab. I found a great little portable heater with a thermostat to be able to regulate the heat at night. I also carry a small propane Buddy for emergencies, just in case there’s no electricity available or lack of propane for the rv furnace. I have a 9v small electric blanket for sleeping, but it can also be plugged in front while driving (instead of a snow suit.)
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:46 AM   #8

Is your fresh water tank inside? We do mid Michigan to Florida in our 30' class C in late January. The cab heater keeps the coach warm enough. Like many others, we use reflectix in the windows in the bedroom to keep heat in and light out (for her) in morning and a curtain between the cab and coach for nights. We make it as far a Bowling Green, KY first day. We also have tank heaters but have only had to use them once. The fresh water is inside under the bed so it is okay. You can add some antifreeze to the holding tanks if you do not have tank heaters. Check the weather a couple days ahead you might get a break.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:50 AM   #9

We’ve done North Bay ON south several times. Night one somewhere near Lima Ohio and second just north of Atlanta. We chose to stay in dog friendly hotels those 2 nights. Then spent 2 days in northern Florida catching our breath unwinterizing the motor home and stocking up. We have a 28’ Lexington and had no trouble staying warm in the cab while driving.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomaslyons View Post
This winter will be the first time we head South in January in our Sunseeker 3020 DS class C. It will be two long days heading straight South in winter temperatures before we can de- winterize somewhere near Wichita KS. We are not sure what it’s going to be like trying to keep warm as we drive the first two days. Will we need snowmobile suits or will the truck heater keep us comfortable. Do people run the furnace while driving? Can we expect condensation or frost on the RV windows. We would appreciate hearing what other Northern motorhome travellers do to be cozy as they drive.
The fact that you list Wichita as the place in January to dewinterise is halarious to me me.
two years ago in January we entered Kansas and ending up spending a week in witchita. 21 degree weather combined with freezing rain that left four inches of ice on our slide outs each morning.
Used electric heaters plus close to sixty pounds of propane trying to keep warm.
Ended up sleeping with slide outs in after the ice build up caused slide mechanism to break.
So my advise is stay in Motel, keep slides in and watch out for the black ice on the overpasses.{another story}
On the plus side got to know my nephews and n ieces that live in Witchita.
We will be heading south again in January. and prmaybe see you in Kansas
Safe travels
cfgbs
Cedar creek 31 foot 5th wheel
cfgbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 05:44 PM   #11

Hi Everyone! Great help folks from you in many topics! I winterized our Chaparral 5th Wheel by blowing the lines including the farthest away ones-washer hook-ups. Then I pumped anti-freeze through all the lines. Before that I drained the on-board water tank and noticed two blue tubes beside the white fresh water drain tube. Both are towards the rear of the RV. In all cases there was no air, water or anti-freeze exuded from the blue tubes. Anyone know what they are for??
ross0547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 10:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
We hang a floor to ceiling length lined curtain behind the cab area in our Sunseeker. It keeps the cold air, or heat , in the cab area and also helps keep the noise level down. Two four foot wide curtains, hemmed to length, and a expandable curtain rod work very well for us.

Have you been spying on me?[emoji38]
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 09:24 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
Have you been spying on me?[emoji38]
I would have but the darn curtain blocked my view...
Old 10-24-2019, 09:53 AM   #14
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross0547 View Post
Hi Everyone! Great help folks from you in many topics! I winterized our Chaparral 5th Wheel by blowing the lines including the farthest away ones-washer hook-ups. Then I pumped anti-freeze through all the lines. Before that I drained the on-board water tank and noticed two blue tubes beside the white fresh water drain tube. Both are towards the rear of the RV. In all cases there was no air, water or anti-freeze exuded from the blue tubes. Anyone know what they are for??
Sounds like the vent and the overflow for the fresh water tank.
Under normal conditions, neither would have water in them.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:24 PM   #15

Wayne and Christine, pictures of your cutain installation?
Old 11-07-2019, 05:31 PM   #16

Does anyone use a portable, 12v window defroster?

My windshield collects ice and condensation over night that takes about 50 miles to fully dissipate. I'm thinking of adding a 12v defroster to my tool kit.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:40 PM   #17

Traveling South in Freelander Motor home

Along the same line, we leave for Florida tomorrow - and unfortunately, just heard the temperatures will fall to 25 tonight. The motor home was bought in FLA and we moved to Oklahoma this summer. Thought we'd get back before it got too cold, but here we are.
What do you suggest. Winterize now? Keep furnace going tonight until we drive out in the morning? I do not have a bi=pass in place so what do you suggest. Only 1 night of 25 degrees tonight here in Tulsa. HELP!!!
Engstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:27 PM   #18
NXR

As someone noted somewhere, masses of water do not freeze immediately. I'd set the furnace at its lowest temperature (ours is 60) and open all cabinet doors and drawers to allow warm air to circulate behind them and help warm any exposed piping along the walls. Also close all window blinds.

If you have a wet bay and a tiny electric heater, maybe a max of 250 watts, you could run it in there overnight. Or pick up something at Home Depot if you don't and you're worried. It's cheap insurance.

We're starting to see those temps here and we're not leaving for almost three weeks. I'm running the "electric fireplace" set at 65 because it's really a 1,500 watt electric heater. I also put a 1,500 watt/750 watt heater on Low heat up front with it set to 50 degrees just in case and I have the aforementioned Honeywell Heat Bud running in the wet bay.

It drops to 19 overnight next week Tuesday I may have a different opinion on Wednesday.

Ray
Old 11-07-2019, 08:31 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCormickJim View Post
Wayne and Christine, pictures of your cutain installation?
Sure, but it will be a little while. We're waiting for our new motor home to be delivered in the next couple weeks. That will be one of the first mods we do.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:33 PM   #20

Thanks for your quick response. This is helpful. I'll report back how things transpired!
Engstrom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel